Do you think the new iphone beats m8??

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately their updates are garbage, most of the time. Every update my wife has had on her 5s, muffed something up. Until The next one. Then something else went wrong. This last update, she could not get any data. Garbage updates!!! M8. Never had a problem. Never.

Posted via Android Central App

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
IOS " just works" is becoming a misnomer. If anything Apple is getting more and more sloppy.

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I had the One before my i5 and i6+. Both my iPhones take MUCH better pictures, I didn't have to deal with the problems of Android even though I did like the Sense UI a lot(One of my favorite Android skins), battery life is a hell of a lot better, I get updates and customer service is top notch so when something like the purple tint develops, I don't have to wait for a replacement for a week or two.

I am happy and I'm glad you all are happy with your M8s as well.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Apart from performance and the still camera, the M8 beats the iPhone 6 in most aspects I can think about.

If you would like me to elaborate on this, I can.

The iPhone 6 isn't a bad device however, but if I had a M8 I would've gladly stayed with it.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Using both Windows Phone 7 then 8, the ONLY Android phone Ive ever considered is the M8, because of its Speakers, build quality and Sense 6.

I do think Apple are beautiful devices, but what stops me from getting one is that Apple restrict you to iTunes and other Apple products. However, we may get our wish soon as I read on BlinkFeed about the M8 Eye, with the Dual cameras. Or the M8 for windows looks nice but it aint in UK yet :(

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Using both Windows Phone 7 then 8, the ONLY Android phone Ive ever considered is the M8, because of its Speakers, build quality and Sense 6.

I do think Apple are beautiful devices, but what stops me from getting one is that Apple restrict you to iTunes and other Apple products. However, we may get our wish soon as I read on BlinkFeed about the M8 Eye, with the Dual cameras. Or the M8 for windows looks nice but it aint in UK yet :(

M8 for Windows doesn't come close to the original.

ChristianStella

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
The iPhone 6 and iOS8 were precisely what made me switch to the m8 after years of iPhones. I'm no stranger to Apple being able to squeeze fluid performance out of lesser specs (ram especially)... But their refusal to bump up their base storage above 16gb is ridiculously behind the times.

I'm one of those guys who believed that Android started by copying much of what Apple was doing, but in recent years that has quite quickly flipped the other way... With Apple blatantly copying many features of Android, and in a sub-par way... Especially their notification center.

iOS8 added many Android features to my 5s, but they were so poorly implemented and buggy, that I immediately upgraded to the m8. Predictive text was schizophrenic and predicting crazy specific phrases I had not used in years. Every keyboard app I installed was a joke, with letters not popping up as you typed them, but only after you'd finished the entire word! Their widget implementation was pathetic and barely able to do anything.

Apple has the better camera for sure, but not in all circumstances. Their HDR is miles ahead of the m8's which likes to blow out highlights. That said, I only need a camera that gets things done. Seeing as neither can replace my DSLR, it's not a big deal.

The only thing I truly think Apple has over the m8 is better color calibration on the screen. I am a filmmaker and photographer and the m8 is overly saturated. I wish it had different color settings. Clearly the m8 has to compete with Samsung's absurdly saturated screens for the general customer.... But I wish I had an option to tone it down or outright calibrate it myself. Apple has no options either, but they are much closer to accurate to start.

The front facing speakers take the sting out of the colors though. It's quite wonderful to watch YouTube vids without cupping my hand over a speaker to try to redirect the sound!

Posted via the Android Central App

TeritorialDemon

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
IOS " just works" is becoming a misnomer. If anything Apple is getting more and more sloppy.

Please do explain. As seen on YouTube speed test between Samsung Galaxy S5, iPhone 6, and the HTC One M8, iPhone beat M8 by 7 seconds and wiped the S5 by nearly 1min. I'm not an Apple fanboy nor an android fanboy. I like both to be honest. The speed test was done with out of the box no tweaking devices. Now, tweak them and I can guarantee the M8 a very good leading winner :)

HTC One Remix

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
So I have both, and they each have their perks...

I6 had the better camera, which matters to me as I take alot of snaps. I also like some apps better on iOS than android, especially some of the fitness ones. The screen is nice, even though not as high a ppi as m8. It also is less noticeable in my pocket, I always am very aware when i have the m8 in my pocket. Apple maps suck, but all the Google Apps I love I can use on it. I also like that i can use headphones to control volume, not just start/stop/talk. IOS is a tad boring, but my m8 is set up similar, I just hate how iOS puts all settings together, vs in the apps where it makes more sense.

M8 has fun camera tricks, but can't zoom in without awful pixelated. I hate Siri and Google now is light years better. The screen looks nicer, and is a bit bigger, but the onscreen keys are generally visible cutting into the screen. I don't customize much, beyojd keyboards, which ios8 now allows. I really like sense, it just feels modern and classy. Sound quality is great, and I love the feel of it, although it is bordering on too big for me, especially in jeans pockets.

I like them both, both do some things better than the other. When travelling, iphone6 is what I carry, due to camera.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Please do explain. As seen on YouTube speed test between Samsung Galaxy S5, iPhone 6, and the HTC One M8, iPhone beat M8 by 7 seconds and wiped the S5 by nearly 1min. I'm not an Apple fanboy nor an android fanboy. I like both to be honest. The speed test was done with out of the box no tweaking devices. Now, tweak them and I can guarantee the M8 a very good leading winner :)

HTC One Remix

Speed test? The last thing I care about are benchmarks and and other nerdy metrics 95% could care less about. IOS 8 was rushed to market, buggy and didn't have nearly the attention to detail necessary for a flagship launch of this size. The 3rd party keyboard apps they've allowed are a shadow of their Android counterparts. The notication drop down is a cluttered hot mess as far as I'm concerned that tries to expand functionality ala Android but again falls short, even when apps eventually utilize it, because in true Apple fashion they don't let far stray to far off the reservation. The whole execution reminds me a being a little bit pregnant.

ChristianStella

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site

HTC One Remix

The idea that Apple "just works" and the hordes of people that tell you that gets annoying when it isn't working, which is A LOT now. I had the iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 5, and briefly the 5S (that I traded in for the m8).

My iPhone 5 was pretty much a lemon. It came scratched up from Apple. They sent me a replacement (and let me keep the original until it came). The replacement's screen looked entirely different than the other, with muted and washed out colors. Turned out that they had 2 display manufacturers, and one of them was insanely inferior side by side. I decided to keep the scratched phone over the one with the washed out screen. 13 months later, the phone started turning off at 30% battery. No warning, it just shut down whenever it wanted. I lived with this for a while, then finally replaced the battery myself, which was frightening due to how well it was glued in. 3 months later, Apple recalled my serial number for having a faulty battery. Way too late for me and the others who had been complaining for 6 months. So then, the power button stopped working on THE day of the iPhone 6 preorder. This was another thing that Apple had recalled for my serial number. Rather than deal with Apple on their busiest day ever, I was eligible for an upgrade... I decided to wait a year on the iPhone 6 after my hassles with my day one iPhone 5. I decided I would simply get the 5s and be happy.

The 5s was very slow on my WiFi, slower than my 5 was. I tried 2 different routers but same results and tests were showing the ping was 900ms vs 25-50 on my previous 5. I couldn't figure it out.

So then I updated to iOS8 and things got very bad. WiFi entirely stopped loading web pages... Simply timing out. Everything was crashing. New features like keyboards were very buggy. My music player started skipping whenever I did anything on the phone while a song was playing (even just going to the home screen caused it to skip). Many apps broke.

So that's when I switched to the m8. Apple's stability and polish is dead as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure I will eventually have issues with updates on the m8 but I guess I expect that more on Android. Apple's alternative is no more stable now. At least on Android I have multiple manufacturers I can take my business to if I have issues. I speak with my wallet.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
HTC m8 vs the iPhone 6 and the 6plus.

I went into my local ATT store yesterday to be able to get a real good look at these new large iphones putting my M8 side by side against them.

To say that I was underwhelmed would be a real understatement.

Both are nice and large as compared to the 5s and the 6 + is certainly larger than my M8 neither screen looked better holding them next to mine.

As I scrolled through the various screens and apps I noticed that compared to the 5s and my M8 both of these new phones exhibited some slowness to them. Not lag mind you, but just slower to respond in speed as my M8 and the 5s. Looking through the various settings I didn't see anything obvious that would cause this or open programs so I was just surprised to see it happen on both phones.

Both phones were extremely slow to hook up to the stores WiFi and extremely slow to load any pages in the browser as well.

Here is the real kicker from my 1 1/2 hours in the store observing what was going on. No one out of the 20 or so customers coming in to buy a new phone or upgrade showed any interest in buying a new iPhone. Not only that but the old days of promoting Apple over everything else was not being done. All were being directed to either Androids or Windows phone.

I had a few people who were milling around ask me what I was using since I wasn't trying to hide doing my comparison of the different phones they had out and I explained exactly what I was doing and comparing. It was pretty obvious when I started comparing the m8 boom sounds against the others that they had.

In the past I had always had the perception of the new model of iPhone to really make a significant difference over it's older model but this first hand reality that the only thing going for it besides a few new software tweaks and the screen size makes it easier for me to not even consider one. While I know that many of those who have longed for more screen real-estate jumped on board with one during the feeding frenzy of first day festivities, now that the fanfare is over and the glitter and balloons have all been cleaned up the realization for many of exactly what it is (as a old design in new clothes) is evident even from the placement of the phones location in the stores.

My opinion is subjective of course but my observations in this store aren't.

My opinion is even novices are becoming more aware of different features and devices and this isn't limited to just 1store but in several ATT stores and big box stores.

I look forward to seeing the new phones as they come out and like to see real innovation that will make my usages better and when any company fails to truly innovate and just offers a repackaging it is understandable that people like myself and many here choose to not fall for fancy marketing schemes.

Apple has some issues with their new models and their new os and the public knows this now. The faithful will always defend the honor of it's chosen phone regardless of what it is, this is to be expected, but hiding from the reality is nothing more than hiding from the truth. The truth is there for anyone who chooses to see it.

I'm glad I chose the m8 since it is the best choice I could make for me...

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
The iPhone 6 has a great camera. I noticed you didn't mention that in your review. You didn't compare that on the hour and a half you were there?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The iPhones are quite nice to me they're just not the only game in town. They're good all around phones. My wife just picked up a 5s (she wasn't impressed enough by the 6) and she won't even consider an android.

nestafaria

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I had both. Just sold the M8 and my G3. The amount of apple bashing is funny.......its just a phone. I choose the iPhone for the screen(perfect colors and contrast), touch id, size and camera. The camera is so freaking consistent, and being able to login to my apps with my fingerprint is awesome. Most android phones are getting too big or heavy (m8) for my taste.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thread has been cleaned. Thanks!

Guess this didn't work so we'll have to find something else to talk about. Sorry folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87