Have to reset my phone thanks to Verizon - what is a good backup method?

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
So, thanks to Verizon for forcing Lollipop to my phone, i think i have to reset it because two of my favorite apps are crashing IMMEDIATELY upon starting. What is the best way to back everything up? I really don't want to have to do this, but nothing else i have done seems to fix the problem. I purposely ignored the update this whole time and then this morning i look down at my phone and it had been forced. I am most worried about losing my contacts, photos and texts. Help would be much appreciated.

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
If you have your phone synced with Google then your contact and photos should be there. I use Titanium Backup click here, however you have to be rooted to use it. You may want to try Helium - App Sync and Backup click here.

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Everything was backed up with google. Unfortunately, i can no longer play my favorite game (Golf Stars). Developer said game will not be compatible until the OS is fully released?? And to try reverting back to previous OS. Needless to say, i'm not very happy right now.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to hear about that J-Dam. I'm not sure what the developer is talking about because Lollipop has been out for quite some time and in fact the first major update (5.1) is rolling out for some devices.

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Everything was backed up with google. Unfortunately, i can no longer play my favorite game (Golf Stars). Developer said game will not be compatible until the OS is fully released?? And to try reverting back to previous OS. Needless to say, i'm not very happy right now.

You should check Google Play Store, I have Lollipop 5.1 and when I go to play store I says that, that App is compatible with my device. Says that the version date is May 11, 2015.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Go to your app manager and look for Android System Webview, then uninstall the updates. A couple of the recent updates to it have been known to cause other apps to crash immediately. Wouldn't hurt to try that before a reset. If this fixes your problem, make sure to disable automatic updates in Play so it doesn't install the bad updates again.

If you still have to reset, here's what worked for me when I got a warranty replacement. Make sure contacts are backed up to your Google account. Use the HTC sync manager to backup media, settings, etc to your computer unless you have another preferred backup system. For the apps, grab Helium from the Play store. It doesn't require root, but does require connecting to your computer and possibly downloading additional drivers to it. This will allow you to backup apps plus app data to your computer. Titanium will backup to an external sd card, but requires root access. Lastly, remove your sd card if one is currently mounted. I've seen a case where a factory reset botched and also reformatted the external sd card that was installed. Don't want to take any chances there.

It took a little to get Helium setup and running, but mostly because of wait times for installs and the backing up. It was relatively pain free and then reinstalled all my apps on the replacement phone just fine.

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Go to your app manager and look for Android System Webview, then uninstall the updates. A couple of the recent updates to it have been known to cause other apps to crash immediately. Wouldn't hurt to try that before a reset. If this fixes your problem, make sure to disable automatic updates in Play so it doesn't install the bad updates again.

If you still have to reset, here's what worked for me when I got a warranty replacement. Make sure contacts are backed up to your Google account. Use the HTC sync manager to backup media, settings, etc to your computer unless you have another preferred backup system. For the apps, grab Helium from the Play store. It doesn't require root, but does require connecting to your computer and possibly downloading additional drivers to it. This will allow you to backup apps plus app data to your computer. Titanium will backup to an external sd card, but requires root access. Lastly, remove your sd card if one is currently mounted. I've seen a case where a factory reset botched and also reformatted the external sd card that was installed. Don't want to take any chances there.

It took a little to get Helium setup and running, but mostly because of wait times for installs and the backing up. It was relatively pain free and then reinstalled all my apps on the replacement phone just fine.

I already reset the phone and the app still crashes instantly. I don't see the option for uninstalling the updates for Android System Webview. Just a box to check/uncheck for "show notifications" , and the usual Force stop, Disable, Clear data and Cache. That might be the cause but i can't find the uninstall updates option.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If there was no option for uninstalling the Webview updates, then the reset reverted it anyway, but wasn't the culprit. I'm guessing you see an update for it in Play now. I haven't installed the newest version yet because the reviews are still on the fence.

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If there was no option for uninstalling the Webview updates, then the reset reverted it anyway, but wasn't the culprit. I'm guessing you see an update for it in Play now. I haven't installed the newest version yet because the reviews are still on the fence.

Yeah, the update showed in play but the app still crashes upon opening. I'm so p'd off right now. The phone was awesome until they forced this junk to it.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
At this point it's probably best to email the developer. It wouldn't be the first apps I've seen that didn't work on lollipop until the apps were updated.

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
At this point it's probably best to email the developer. It wouldn't be the first apps I've seen that didn't work on lollipop until the apps were updated.

Already emailed them twice. No help whatsoever....said the game won't be compatible until the OS is fully released. What the h was forced to my phone if it wasn't complete. AND others have said they have no problem playing the game on their lollipop OS device. I give.....can't stand having stuff forced to my phone.

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I already reset the phone and the app still crashes instantly. I don't see the option for uninstalling the updates for Android System Webview. Just a box to check/uncheck for "show notifications" , and the usual Force stop, Disable, Clear data and Cache. That might be the cause but i can't find the uninstall updates option.

You say you have no option for uninstalling the updates for Android System Webview. This may because you have not been updated, if you go to Settings > Apps > All and tap Android System Webview what version does it say you are running?

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You say you have no option for uninstalling the updates for Android System Webview. This may because you have not been updated, if you go to Settings > Apps > All and tap Android System Webview what version does it say you are running?

Version 37 (1602158-arm)

I've done everything including a hard reset. Nothing works...