Battery life very bad all of a sudden - Oct 2015- M8

Jeff Harris

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I have changed nothing in how I use the phone, checked all apps, nothing out of the ordinary. but when my phone gets down to 20% ,instead of going into power saver like it asks me , it will just completely shut down instead. no warning. is there a way to recalibrate the battery ?

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does the battery drain more quickly as well? The battery might be starting to deteriorate more noticeably.

Calibration of the battery software can usually be achieved by allowing it to drain completely, then charging up to full, and doing that for about 3 cycles. If it keeps happening, I'd be concerned that the battery is approaching its end of life.

Jeff Harris

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
it used to last me about 12-16 hours easily according to gsam, but now I might get 9-10. last night, it was down to about 24%, once it hit 20 as I was using it,it asked to turn power saver on when screen goes off, well about 10 seconds after that, it completely died,shut down to 0%.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Quick charge technically shouldn't matter, although I suppose there's some potential risk of faster battery degradation over time if there was excessive heat generated with each charge.

Show us some battery stats. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).