Battery drain/optimization question?

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Just got a new M8 from Verizon as an exchange for a damaged one (or maybe a refurb)-
The battery is losing 60% in just under 3 hours of very light usage and, its shutting down at about 20% (whatsapp appears to be using 60-70% of my battery and I have no clue why).

Any ideas on whats causing this?

Also, when I go to "Battery Optimization" and then click "all apps"...and then close it down and reopen, the apps have been shut off from battery optimization and I have to turn it again?

Any help/guidance here is greatly appreciated.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like your battery may be defective. Losing 60% in a couple of hours is not indicative of a good battery. Have you tried doing a factory reset, just to see if that may fix anything (only do a reset if you have all your pictures, apps, and important information saved!)? Otherwise, I would suggest bringing the phone back to the store and seeing what can be done for you. Good luck, and please keep us posted!

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
It sounds like your battery may be defective. Losing 60% in a couple of hours is not indicative of a good battery. Have you tried doing a factory reset, just to see if that may fix anything (only do a reset if you have all your pictures, apps, and important information saved!)? Otherwise, I would suggest bringing the phone back to the store and seeing what can be done for you. Good luck, and please keep us posted!
I agree that sounds like bad battery.... Especially the shutting down on 20% part, that's what my old M8 used to do. If you download and install accubatery that all can estimate fairly well the capacity of the phone battery... But as previous poster suggested is probably the battery and and as a result I would consider getting the phone looked at by engineers...

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I agree that sounds like bad battery.... Especially the shutting down on 20% part, that's what my old M8 used to do. If you download and install accubatery that all can estimate fairly well the capacity of the phone battery... But as previous poster suggested is probably the battery and and as a result I would consider getting the phone looked at by engineers...

Thanks.

I downloaded it and it says in "battery estimates" that my full "on screen" battery time is 5 hrs and off screen is 24.

Does that sound right for this phone?

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks.

I downloaded it and it says in "battery estimates" that my full "on screen" battery time is 5 hrs and off screen is 24.

Does that sound right for this phone?
I think if you go to the "health" section of the app you will see a battery capacity estimate. What you mentioned is also correct but the battery capacity estimation is different to the on screen battery estimation....