The M9 has actually a great camera, tuned badly by HTC's software!

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
New software for the camera to start rolling out tomorrow.

Posted via Android Central App

How do you know that? I would be really happy to see some camera enhancements, especially for video recording. After the XDA camera settings I have no issues with the camera and pictures look great.

Posted via the Android Central App

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
How do you know that? I would be really happy to see some camera enhancements, especially for video recording. After the XDA camera settings I have no issues with the camera and pictures look great.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jason McKenzie posted it on his twitter page.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The shots I published were dark because I capped the ISO to a max 200. Follow the XDA thread for many great pictures taken with an M9. The proposed setting adjustment does make a lot of difference and that shows that the issues are software related, at least most of them.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
The real question is whether they can fix the video with this software update to compensate for not having OIS. The iPhone 6 performs well with EIS, which is what the M9 has. If they can do that, I will be impressed.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
The real question is whether they can fix the video with this software update to compensate for not having OIS. The iPhone 6 performs well with EIS, which is what the M9 has. If they can do that, I will be impressed.

Can they sure. Will they remains to be seen. I would prefer to have ois because the + out way the -. That does not mean that eis is bad because it to has + over ois. It may take time for HTC to get everything worked out on this sensor it is new after all.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Just read the XDA thread. It seems that the software algorithm of HTC is just bad...

And that is something that can be fixed with software. But like I said above will they fix it remains a ? I believe they will get it worked out in time.

Adam_ation

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm extremely happy with the cameras results aswell after the XDA tweaks to be totally honest.

I won't hardly ever, if at all use the video function - Adam

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Haven't even used the video function, probably never will - Adam

That right there is why I find it hard to take anything you say about this phone seriously. I understand you are a fan of HTC and so am I. But please don't patronize me by saying you never have used it and never will. So you have no interest in testing it and giving an honest opinion either? This is a forum where people are trying to gather valuable information from each other. That is why we are all here right? I prefer real world users as opposed to professional reviewers but only if they are objective.

Adam_ation

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
But please don't patronize me by saying you never have used it and never will. So you have no interest in testing it and giving an honest opinion either?

I'm struggling to work out at what point I became patronizing about the video camera. Hell I hadn't' even mentioned it until you brought it up for the very reason that I have no opinion.

Well yeah I have no interest in testing it because I will never use it. The same as I won't be testing the S6 either because there's no chance I want one, also I haven't tested the PS4.... or the Subaru Impreza and various other things I will never use - Adam

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
HTC is already putting out an update for the camera. Sprint is supposed to be getting it tomorrow and AT&T on the 17th and Verizon phones will ship with it already on their I read. Let's hope it makes a difference.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
HTC is already putting out an update for the camera. Sprint is supposed to be getting it tomorrow and AT&T on the 17th and Verizon phones will ship with it already on their I read. Let's hope it makes a difference.

According to Phil it's the same update that was pushed to the international phones during AC's reviewing process. I'm not sure how much it's gonna help, to be honest.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Software can optimize a camera. If that is all needed, then a software update can make a difference. I don't understand why this is so difficult to understand. Of course software won't beat the laws of physics and will work inside the constraints set by the hardware the software is trying to control.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Ladies and Gentlemen, do NOT feed the trolls. Hit the report button or ignore it and move on. Or both. Off topic trolling and other disruptive responses have been cleaned.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I read that so I guess will see once we get the update. I just checked my phone no update yet. I had changed my camera settings from a recommendation from XDA but maybe it was for outside but I was inside at work got Roses sent yesterday and the pic was bad but when I went back to default settings it was better. It was also a bit better on my M8 which I need to reset and send back to Sprint for buyback.

This is using the software that Phil from AC already used for his own review. This is new to the US but not new.