Swapped my Pro for a regular P20

Aneres11

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey all.
So some of you may have seen my posts in some of the threads on here re the P20 Pro.
I've had a Pro since launch day and have loved it, however I have personally found the size to be just a little too large for me.
For a guy, I have pretty small hands so bigger phones are often not my first choice.

I could use the Pro and I was used to the size, but I also have an iPhone X which I think is almost the perfect size, so going between the 2 was often quite jarring due to the extra width of the P20 Pro.

Anyway, I've been looking into both models of the P20 since launch and have been intrigued with the number of reviews that have praised the P20's camera and said it's just as good as the Pro's in day to day shots.

Knowing that the slightly smaller hardware would be more beneficial to me, I decided to pick a normal P20 up today see how it stacked up in comparison to the Pro.

I picked the Midnight Blue for my regular P20. I have the black Pro, and don't really like the colour of it at all. Personal preference of course, but it's pretty boring.

As soon as I got it out of the box I loved the feel and size of the P20. Absolutely amazing for my smaller hands. I'd say near perfect for me!

The slightly narrower screen and CM or so off the length really makes huge difference. Side by side they don't really look massively different in terms of size but the feel is incredible.

The screen has gone from an OLED in the Pro to an LCD in the regular. Side by side, there's hardly any difference. I think the OLED looks slightly richer but the LCD is very good indeed. Also, the lowest brightness of the regular P20's LCD is actually really dim - Samsung levels of dim (this is a good thing). The Pro never got anywhere near dim enough for bedtime reading for my tastes. I've lost count of how many times I've been lay in bed on the Pro and gone to lower the brightness down only to see it's already at rock bottom.

In contrast though, the reg P20's max brightness doesn't reach that of the Pro. So the Pro will have an advantage in sunlight / bright day conditions.

There is only 4gb of ram in the reg P20, compared to the 6gb in the Pro. So far I haven't noticed much difference, and don't think I really will unless I was to put them side by side and start doing timings of how fast one of them loaded a YouTube video. :rolleyes::p. Which I won't be doing!
There is absolutely no benefit to that 2gb of extra ram that I can see so far.

Camera. Well this has been interesting early on. This was the biggest test really, as if the Pro was that much better then I'd have stuck with it. However, I've taken a number of shots today and I've strangely found that the regular P20 doesn't seem to sharpen the photos quite so much. And this is without any AI interfering which can often do strange things to these phones photos. When compared directly on screen, it seems the P20 takes the ever so slightly more pleasing photo than the Pro.
I even asked my partner, who knows nothing about phones or which one is which and of the 3 random pics I took, he picked the regular P20's photos over the Pro's as the better one each time.

Some random things. The camera interface of the Pro is different to that of the P20. So the P20 has the classic Huawei leather back look behind the camera shutter. The shutter button is also made to look like it's made of silver. I like the look, but the Pro just has a plain black background and the shutter button is just white.
Not sure which I prefer, but odd that they're both different.

The Google Photos issue I was having on my Pro (it lagged when swiping between photos and opening / closing photos etc) is not present on my regular P20. No idea why, but there we have it!

I've seen a lot of people say that they were interested in the reg P20, but had Mate 10's and a lot of the advice given to people was to not bother with a P20. I personally disagree. The Mate 10 is obviously a great phone, but the P20 is not to be sniffed at.
Clearly the camera in the P20 is not just the same thing they put in the Mate 10.

The triple lens has its benefits, sure. The zoom being the biggest thing. It's incredible getting that level of quality at 5 x zoom. Even 3x is amazing. However, if that's all there is over the reg P20 then the P20 should be considered for those interested.
I know 40 megapixels is an option on the Pro, and if you're really into your photography then you could get some good stuff from that mode. But I found 40mp mode to be disappointing as photos often lacked good dynamic range and were dark in places most of the time.

I've just tested night mode and the results were interesting.

The top pic is the P20 PRO, the bottom is the regular P20.
I personally like the look of the regular P20 photo more.

PRO

2ZH1j7f.jpg

REGULAR P20

VzSqlbB.jpg

These were shot at the exact same time just as day light was all but gone. I just find the reg P20 has truer colours and is more pleasing straight out of the camera. I'm pretty astonished at the results.

I wanted to create this thread to just give people food for thought if they didn't fancy stretching to the £799 for the Pro, and felt like they weren't getting as good a deal with the smaller, cheaper P20.
Not the case at all.

This regular P20 looks to be a keeper for me!

If anyone wants any other comparisons or has any questions let me know.

SeanJamesWright

May 8, 2013
Visit site
That's awesome to see a P20 Pro user switch to the regular P20 and find it better suited. I myself am interested in the P20 over the Pro also mainly due to size. Unless you're pixel peeping, day shots are very close and personally from what I've seen I preferred the more natural colours of the P20 but each to their own. Either way, Huawei has knocked it out of the park with the P20 series and I for one am looking forward to my Midnight Blue P20 arriving soon. 😎

Aneres11

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
That's awesome to see a P20 Pro user switch to the regular P20 and find it better suited. I myself am interested in the P20 over the Pro also mainly due to size. Unless you're pixel peeping, day shots are very close and personally from what I've seen I preferred the more natural colours of the P20 but each to their own. Either way, Huawei has knocked it out of the park with the P20 series and I for one am looking forward to my Midnight Blue P20 arriving soon. ??????

Good to hear! Do post your thoughts on your P20 when it comes in! :)

Allchr

May 1, 2018
Visit site
Hey

I'm also thinking about getting the p20 over the pro version because ofcit size. The 2 GB your at getting less then the pro,,the lack of stereo sound and, and missing out on a OLED screen are are fine for me. Only concern I have I about the battery life, I'm currently using a OnePlus 5 and I can get thought a day and first plug it inwhen I go to bed. Is the 3450 enough to get through a day...??

Allchr

May 1, 2018
Visit site
Hey

I'm also thinking about getting the p20 over the pro version because ofcit size. The 2 GB your at getting less then the pro,,the lack of stereo sound and, and missing out on a OLED screen are are fine for me. Only concern I have I about the battery life, I'm currently using a OnePlus 5 and I can get thought a day and first plug it inwhen I go to bed. Is the 3450 enough to get through a day...??

Aneres11

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey

More than enough. Crazy good battery on this phone too. The LCD will help with that also.

TonyHove

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree. Made the same decision this week. The slightly smaller size of the P20 over the Pro makes a big difference in everyday usability. It's just the right size. The Pro is a bit to tall and you can really feel the difference once you start using the device (it's not noticeable if you just put them side by side). The camera is still great, the screen is pleasing on the eye and battery life is very good. Don't regret choosing the regular P20 over the Pro.

Aneres11

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Totally agree. Made the same decision this week. The slightly smaller size of the P20 over the Pro makes a big difference in everyday usability. It's just the right size. The Pro is a bit to tall and you can really feel the difference once you start using the device (it's not noticeable if you just put them side by side). The camera is still great, the screen is pleasing on the eye and battery life is very good. Don't regret choosing the regular P20 over the Pro.

Yup the more I use this phone day to day the more I absolutely love it. Feel in hand is unrivalled if you ask me. It's the perfect size.

The only trade off that's actually noticeable is the zoom function from the Pro, but with all the benefits of the regular P20 it outweighs it for me. :)

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
Don't notice the plastic seam that joins the back glass and metal frame? I've read a few reviews mentioning that part

Aneres11

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Don't notice the plastic seam that joins the back glass and metal frame? I've read a few reviews mentioning that part

Yeah I really don't understand that. I expected to pick it up and be like "ah now I get it", but no it's not even a thing. I think that's just reviewers scrutinizing for the sake of it. It's noticeable when you examine the back and sides but feel in hand is completely unaffected.

TonyHove

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site

You only see it if you look for it but in terms of feel you absolutely don't notice it. I only looked for it after reading a couple to reviews but had I not read I about, would never have known. Not even worth a mention in my opinion.

Aneres11

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I too agree that P20 camera is a better one than the Pro. P20 has better dynamic range and colors. Take a look at this video comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYI19AzFvJc

Yeah this was one of the videos that I watched which intrigued me but that guy annoys me a bit as a reviewer. His review of the actual Pro camera was a rubbish review as he hadn't really talked about all the different modes that were available on the camera and when I called it out in the comments he got a bit defensive. Lol.

But this vid was much better and does highlight that there's really little differences between them in every day scenarios and in particular, low light.

The only trade off going from the Pro to the regular P20 for me has been the loss of the incredible zoom. I still have my Pro, and I'm still torn a little but just much prefer the size and weight and feel of the regular P20 to want to part with it over the Pro. If the reg had a triple camera too it'd be the most amazing phone ha.

But as it is, the dual camera still takes amazing shots so I'm happy.

chmun77

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah this was one of the videos that I watched which intrigued me but that guy annoys me a bit as a reviewer. His review of the actual Pro camera was a rubbish review as he hadn't really talked about all the different modes that were available on the camera and when I called it out in the comments he got a bit defensive. Lol.

But this vid was much better and does highlight that there's really little differences between them in every day scenarios and in particular, low light.

The only trade off going from the Pro to the regular P20 for me has been the loss of the incredible zoom. I still have my Pro, and I'm still torn a little but just much prefer the size and weight and feel of the regular P20 to want to part with it over the Pro. If the reg had a triple camera too it'd be the most amazing phone ha.

But as it is, the dual camera still takes amazing shots so I'm happy.

Agree with your points too. Do you do lots of zooming in? I don't see myself doing much zooming most of the time when I use the cameras. I do like the natural colors and HDR of the P20. Will be getting P20 when the price drops further in my country. But having hard time deciding between the Blue and Pink one..... hahahaha....

Aneres11

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Agree with your points too. Do you do lots of zooming in? I don't see myself doing much zooming most of the time when I use the cameras. I do like the natural colors and HDR of the P20. Will be getting P20 when the price drops further in my country. But having hard time deciding between the Blue and Pink one..... hahahaha....

Omg were like the same person haha. I'm a guy but I absolutely love that pink model. So so nice. If that were an option for me then I'm pretty sure I'd have gone with it.

More pearlescent than pink I think.

And no I don't do a tonne of zooming. But that's because the zoom function on most phones is just not that good. I think I'd make a lot of use from it but I'd rather have a phone that I love using day to day than a more cumbersome phone with zoom.

Let me know what you decide to do anyway. :)

chmun77

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Omg were like the same person haha. I'm a guy but I absolutely love that pink model. So so nice. If that were an option for me then I'm pretty sure I'd have gone with it.

More pearlescent than pink I think.

And no I don't do a tonne of zooming. But that's because the zoom function on most phones is just not that good. I think I'd make a lot of use from it but I'd rather have a phone that I love using day to day than a more cumbersome phone with zoom.

Let me know what you decide to do anyway. :)

Hahahaha.... for the record, I'm a guy too. Well, to be honest, blue is nice and the color does stand out among others. But it is also a finger prints magnet. I think prints are not that prominent with the pink model. Shall keep you updated when I got mine.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Great choice OP.. Before I went for the PRO, I actually watched videos and reviews on them both.. and I agree it was interesting that in nearly all reviews, the reviewer said the p20 images were better than the Pro's.

I chose the Pro because I have quite big Piano hands hehe, but also Im in my mid-40s and short sighted, so I find a bigger screen is better for me. Also, while this isnt a deal breaker and doesnt dictate my choice of device.., I do love Stereo Speakers on a phone

Quick question.... does the P20 have Stereo Speakers, like the Pro?

Glad you found the right one for you :)

Aneres11

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Great choice OP.. Before I went for the PRO, I actually watched videos and reviews on them both.. and I agree it was interesting that in nearly all reviews, the reviewer said the p20 images were better than the Pro's.

I chose the Pro because I have quite big Piano hands hehe, but also Im in my mid-40s and short sighted, so I find a bigger screen is better for me. Also, while this isnt a deal breaker and doesnt dictate my choice of device.., I do love Stereo Speakers on a phone

Quick question.... does the P20 have Stereo Speakers, like the Pro?

Glad you found the right one for you :)

Hmm not sure on stereo speakers to be honest. I only use my phone speaker to either out calls on loudspeaker or watch the odd YouTube video / Facebook vid. So speakers on a phone mean very little to me.

I've been back and forward over which one to keep as I still have my Pro, but when taking camera samples with them both, the Pro is hardly any difference in quality, with the colours of the regular P20 being much truer to reality.

It's literally only the zoom where the Pro wins out.