The M9 has actually a great camera, tuned badly by HTC's software!

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Have a look here: Photos Taken With M9 - Post #274 - XDA Forums

I have tested these settings myself and while I am no expert in photography, I saw an immediate improvement compared to the default settings. I wonder why HTC cannot get the automatic settings right...
Have a look in the XDA thread, test the recommendation and post your impressions.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for an interesting post. I've said it before, it's not the camera that makes the picture, it's the photographer. Knowing your camera is 9/10ths of the battle.

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I have tested these settings myself and while I am no expert in photography, I saw an immediate improvement compared to the default settings. I wonder why HTC cannot get the automatic settings right...
Have a look in the XDA thread, test the recommendation and post your impressions.

It's like night and day. Wow! Much improved thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
My conclusion. HTC should hire this guy. But seriously, how can a guy just randomly figure this out when HTC has software engineers who seem to have no idea what they are doing and have been working on it for several months. It's promising and disheartening at the same time that they couldn't get it optimized in time for the launch and endured more backlash on their camera.

Last edited:

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I think it's pretty obvious that HTC should tune the automatic mode to use an ISO value of 200 max (or maybe 400 in some cases). Sharpness should go down too. What is more important though is to use the 10:7 aspect ratio for pictures and a maximum of 16Mpixels...Maybe the camera should be 16MPixel and not 20..

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the post! I was just looking at a camera shootout on cnet between the iPhone 6, Galaxy S6 and the M9. To be honest, even in auto, the M9's pics weren't that bad. I think it held up pretty well with the others.

EDIT: updated with link to camera comparison.
http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s6-camera-comparison-versus-htc-one-m9-iphone-6/

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I've been all over the place with this phone but they are starting to rope me back in. Still unsure about battery life though.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The problem is that the M9's camera should perform well out of the box. Most media sites are just testing the standard point and shoot function of the camera and in that respect the M9 sucks. It's really a shame now knowing that the sensor itself is good. The only problem seems to be HTC's software. People though that need to have a good phone camera mostly do not go deep into settings in order to customize anything..HTC must improve the automatic mode..
I have taken some pictures today and can tell you that there is a difference when using the settings from the XDA thread.

Last edited:

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I agree, but at least it's comforting to know that the M9's camera is actually good. I don't know how HTC works internally, but I still hope that they will improve the automatic mode.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I agree, but at least it's comforting to know that the M9's camera is actually good. I don't know how HTC works internally, but I still hope that they will improve the automatic mode.

I think part of the problem is that it is a new sensor from Toshiba and I dont think HTC had enough time to optimize the software for it before it went to production and definitely not before March. So they were left to unveil it and work behind the scenes to fix it before it got into the hands of the customer. It's still unfortunate whatever the reason is. They are in no position to release a sub par camera when everyone knows it is their weakness. I am optimistic about it though going forward.

Last edited:

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site

Automatic settings will never be as good as manual settings no matter the camera.

aallison1882

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but automatic settings should provide good pictures.

This is the biggest issue with the camera. Auto mode should be competitive with the other flagships. At least the XDA post shows that there is a chance that the software can be further optimized and the sensor itself is actually good. I just hope their functional lead reads the XDA post to help figure out the issues. :)

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
What really peaked my curiosity is how the M9 managed to have less detail at 100% crop vs the M8 in some shots I've seen. With regards to the video recording I've seen, the software doesn't appear to be locking the focus as long as it should. When panning, you could tell that it was hunting for a focal point at sporadic intervals. This behavior is something that I've noticed ever since the EVO 3D. The only work around I've been able to do was to manually lock the AE/AF values. If you compare the video recording to that of the iPhone for instance, you don't see the iPhone changing focus as often under the same conditions.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing!

Like I once said, the camera software needs serious work. It only works well if you tweak some settings yourself.

Now, that's fine if you are the type who likes to tinker with cameras in order to get the best possible shot, but unfortunately, a camera that needs to be tinkered with that is on a smartphone is a no-go.

Smartphone cameras should be capable of producing decent-good shots right out of the box IMHO. The average consumer either does not have time to tinker with their camera settings or does not know what each setting does. All they want is a camera that takes good shots without any effort and tinkering and does it quickly, at least from my personal experience from other users.

Take a phone from the average Joe and you'll most likely see it in Auto mode. Take one from me and it's either in Auto mode or Manual exposure mode, though you'll most likely see it in auto mode as when I take pictures with my phone, it's for quick-shots that I want to capture without spending time tinkering with the settings. For shots where beauty is key, I take my Sony a6000 and spend time tinkering with the settings until they are perfect.

This is why the Galaxy S6 and the LG G3 are currently my 2 favorite smartphone cameras. They launch fairly quickly (the S6's camera launch speed was overwhelmingly quick) and were able to focus on their targets quickly and took great shots without effort, making them the ideal 'weapon' of choice for quick photo shoots.

Last edited: