HTC One Mini Mic problems

Hollean

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm having problems with the lower mic on my HTC one mini. When I call people or they call me, they can't hear me speak.They can hear OK if I switch on speaker phone and use the top rear mic.
Voice recorder works fine, which I believe demonstrates that the lower mic is working and not blocked by dust. Is that right ?
I've tried the trick with tape over the rear mic, that didn't work.
i've done a hard reboot.
I've even reset the phone to factory settings
All made no difference.
Any other suggestions appreciated

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I believe the speakerphone, video camera, and voice recorder actually use the secondary mic, not the primary phone mic. So you may have localized the problem to a faulty primary mic, which would probably have to be replaced. Before you look into that, make sure there isn't any debris clogging the primary mic's opening.

Hollean

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi B Diddy.
I just did a test of voice recorder to determine which mic it uses.
I held my finger over the bottom mic and spoke into the rear one and nothing recorded
I then held my finger over the rear one and spoke into the bottom one and it recorded.
That would seem to confirm that voice recorder uses the bottom, primary mic, and that that one works.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Hollean

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Ok,. I tried safe mode and that still didn't work. To be fair I wasn't hopeful because the factory reset removed all the aps s I didn't think that any of them were interfering.
More information, I've just tried a call using skype and that works fine.
It seems to be a "feature" of HTC phones that the lower mic stops working for voice calls, and perhaps something to do with a glitch in the noise cancelling system.
To recap:
The lower mic doesn't work for voice calls. I have to switch on speakerphone and use the rear mic
The lower mic DOES work for voice recorder and skype calls, which indicates to me that the mic itself isn't faulty
Restoring factory settings hasn't cleared the problem.
Does anyone have experience of this and more importantly have they found a fix ?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's frustrating. Can you pinpoint when this all started? Was there a recent system update?

I thought it was worth trying Safe Mode because oftentimes after a factory reset, apps will start to reinstall automatically from the Play Store, so the phone actually isn't in a pristine condition by the time the user is testing things out. Oh well ...:-\

Hollean

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
B. Diddy.
Thanks for your help. I've now been in contact with HTC support who talked me through all the same things as you . They have concluded that the phone is faulty and have booked it in for repair. Lets see what transpires.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brownsjames