icons gone,,,touch response gone. need help.

keilflex

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
ok guys thx for helping. my htc one s just decided to boot on only to a live wallpaper screen and no icons,,,cant switch from screen to screen. the only thing i can do is pull down the notification bar to hit clear as apps are seeming to update. hitting the settings doesnt work. itll go back to home blank screen. i plugged it into my comp. and comp wont see it. nothing works on home screen and nothing will click in notification bar except clear. i held down power and volume down ten times. same thing happens. i see service and 4 g working. volume up and down works, but nothing else works. as it seems the apps are updateing it says paused by them also if that helps. the only i did differently lately is disable about ten apps in the settings to try to save data hogging. the ones i knew werent useful. any help would be awesome as this phone is useless atm. thx.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Start small and work your way up.
Try to do a hard reset.... Hold the power button for 15 seconds. ( you should see the 3 bottons on the bottom flash like 7 times, or maybe 5. i forget)
if that doesnt work, turn the phone off (using above method) then when you turn it on, hold the power and volume down button for 5 seconds, then let go of the power button... but continue to hold the volume down button until you reboot into your Hboot menu. (you might have to try it more than once) once in there you have the option to factory reset. (use the volume up and down to navigate, and use power button to select)

Good luck

keilflex

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
O ok sweet. Thx bud I was hoping to at least be able to get to that hboot. At least to reset. Thx ill check back in New let ya know if it works. Thx tons.

---------- Post Merged at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:57 PM ----------

Ok bud sweet. Got to the boot menu to factory reset. But I see other options like sim lock. Clear storage, recovery. Question is can I, from this menu, save my stuff before I reset. Thx bud. Pics videos files ect.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
unless you are rooted, all those other options wont do much. there is no way to save your existing information. (but dont be alarmed... you will still have all your information on your SD card, that includes your pictures, videos, and files) and if you have all your contacts saved through google.... when you sign back in, it will all return. youll just have to reinstall all your apps

keilflex

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Yeah ur awesome. I was afraid of that. And I don't think the HTC one s has a sd card slot. Just a mini sim chip. Guess I'll. Have to lose files and /.... WAIT... could I root from that hboot screen just to save files pics notes ect and then do the back to stock option and still get ota, updates as before root? Hmm. Now this is getting fun. Lol. I had the nexus one preorderd or whatever and even since all the nexus devices in my life since 2005 or whatever I never had the need or courage to root. But as this phone is not mine but my girls my determining factor of this situation would be that it would have to be easy to go back to stock and un noticeable. Just like off the shelf at tmobile and still able to be updated by Google /tmobile the same way. Thx man.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
O ok sweet. Thx bud I was hoping to at least be able to get to that hboot. At least to reset. Thx ill check back in New let ya know if it works. Thx tons.

---------- Post Merged at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:57 PM ----------

Ok bud sweet. Got to the boot menu to factory reset. But I see other options like sim lock. Clear storage, recovery. Question is can I, from this menu, save my stuff before I reset. Thx bud. Pics videos files ect.

Try going into recovery and wipe the cache partition. I have a thread in the Amaze 4g section, "things to try before you factory reset." Some key directions may differ on the One S.

// Posted from my Nexus 7 with the Android Central app :) //

Last edited:

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
when i say SD card... it just means not internal memory (i know the one s doesnt have the physical card to remove) download OI file manager and everything you can see.... will not be deleted. (SD card) and when you hit the power button on factory reset... it just turns red? hit power again and see if that does it? or have you already fixured it out?

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Wait ... WHAT? The One S doesn't have any microSDHC card slot, right?

When you do a factory reset, it generally will wipe out the internal storage. In the file system it may be called /mnt/sdcard/ but they do that for compatibility with apps. A factory reset will wipe that clean.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Unless I'm mistaken.... When I had my samsung Vibrant. I did full wipes all the time. and all the infomation on the external memory never got wiped. (Pictures, files, music, etc)

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Unless I'm mistaken.... When I had my samsung Vibrant. I did full wipes all the time. and all the infomation on the external memory never got wiped. (Pictures, files, music, etc)

Yes, an EXTERNAL MEMORY CARD. The One S only has internal memory, but Android now calls the user storage partition "sdcard" for compatibility with apps. Unless the One S is different from the Amaze (both are running 4.0.3 so I doubt it) a factory reset will wipe /mnt/sdcard/. I've done it several times, most recently this last Tuesday.

:banghead:

// Posted from my Nexus 7 with the Android Central app :) //

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
good call... I just updated the phone. and in the process I had to unroot my phone and fastboot the original recovery... (that was a nightmare) and I did a full wipe to test my theory.... and good thing I backed it up first. Like you said.... Its internal memory with a partition named sdcard..... so..... I will gladely eat my humble pie.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
good call... I just updated the phone. and in the process I had to unroot my phone and fastboot the original recovery... (that was a nightmare) and I did a full wipe to test my theory.... and good thing I backed it up first. Like you said.... Its internal memory with a partition named sdcard..... so..... I will gladely eat my humble pie.
No need, with all that you went through. ;)