Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HELP! Need to get internal data off phone with dead power/lock button before shipping back in 5 days

Hi.

It's my wife's phone, T-Mobile HTC One S. I backed up all "external" data from the phone before it died, but the "internal" data doesn't show up when it's plugged into a PC.

The power button is dead. Not the case, the physical button the case button presses. The phone died, and now we cannot physically turn it back on. But her contacts are not on the SIM card, nor are any of her apps or app data (or game saves). And the best part--she can't remember her Google Play login or the email she used to set it up. *faceplam*

So... I have the replacement phone. The old one must be in the mail in five days. I need to get this data off the old phone and into the new one. HTC and T-Mobile are both useless and have no workarounds. But I cannot believe that no redundancy or emergency access was built in. Someone has to know how to get that data out--I figured this is a good place to ask.

BTW: Phone has latest update, but has not been rooted or anything like that. Factory phone, with apps installed.

...help??

Default Re: HELP! Need to get internal data off phone with dead power/lock button before shipping back in 5

Quote Originally Posted by senselocke View Post
    Hi.

It's my wife's phone, T-Mobile HTC One S. I backed up all "external" data from the phone before it died, but the "internal" data doesn't show up when it's plugged into a PC.

The power button is dead. Not the case, the physical button the case button presses. The phone died, and now we cannot physically turn it back on. But her contacts are not on the SIM card, nor are any of her apps or app data (or game saves). And the best part--she can't remember her Google Play login or the email she used to set it up. *faceplam*

So... I have the replacement phone. The old one must be in the mail in five days. I need to get this data off the old phone and into the new one. HTC and T-Mobile are both useless and have no workarounds. But I cannot believe that no redundancy or emergency access was built in. Someone has to know how to get that data out--I figured this is a good place to ask.

BTW: Phone has latest update, but has not been rooted or anything like that. Factory phone, with apps installed.

...help??
    So your power button doesnt work at all? even if you hold power and vol down for 15 seconds? This is a tough one. Im not sure if Tmo can pull off your data if the phone cannot be turned on? and also did your wife save all her contact to her google account? if she did... all she has to do is sign back in on the new phone.(if she can remember what her email was) and reset the password on a desktop.... then everything should come back to the phone... it will even list apps she had downloaded before

Hope that helped. Sorry man
    Samsung GS4 GPE | LG Nexus 4 - Sold | GNexus - Sold | HTC One S - Broke | Vibrant - Retired
    Spread some love, Like/Thanks button -->
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: HELP! Need to get internal data off phone with dead power/lock button before shipping back in 5

Yeah, the actual power button--or, more likely, a wire or crappy solder point. Held it for a full minute, also along with every other button, nothing. Can't power on, can't unlock.

And I don't know what email addy she used. Neither does she.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Nothing people? C'mon, I thought for sure someone here would have a solution.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Okay, update.

I got the sucker on. I tried pressing the power button in any odd way--and torquing it away from the phone and at an angle managed to turn it on (meaning the contacts at the actual power button were corroded or mis-aligned). So the phone is now powered on.

I do not want to turn this sucker off.

Is there any reliable way to get at the internal/phone storage?

Quote Originally Posted by senselocke View Post
    Okay, update.

I got the sucker on. I tried pressing the power button in any odd way--and torquing it away from the phone and at an angle managed to turn it on (meaning the contacts at the actual power button were corroded or mis-aligned). So the phone is now powered on.

I do not want to turn this sucker off.

Is there any reliable way to get at the internal/phone storage?
    I would dowload a file manager (I use Astro File manager) and you can view your stuff there
    But the best thing that you can do is hook it to your computer. Mount it. and make a backup folder and drop everything into it. then your next step is try to figure out your google sign in.

PS. glad you got it turned on. and make sure all your contacts are saved to the google account
    Goodluck
    Samsung GS4 GPE | LG Nexus 4 - Sold | GNexus - Sold | HTC One S - Broke | Vibrant - Retired
    Spread some love, Like/Thanks button -->