How do I root a HTC One X?

anon(816199)

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I recently upgraded to a HTC One X after using a Blackberry for two years. This is my first ever android smartphone and so far I think this phone is amazing. The only issue I have is the battery life where it sometimes just about lasts me a day whereas my berry would last sometimes up to two days on a single charge but obviously the two phones are miles apart in the hardware and software they have. Anyways back to the point I've heard from friends who also own android phones that I should root my phone to get the most out of it which includes better battery life and better performance of the phone overall or so I was told. The only problem is I haven't got a clue on how to do this, I had a browse on the internet about it and a lot of the content that I read I could not understand at all. So basically what i'm asking for is an explanation for a noob like me on how to do this either from a website or any of the members on android central specifically for my device.

Many thanks.

quicksilver53

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Congratulations on the new phone. I am really considering getting the same one very soon. I have been checking out www.highonandroid.com. Max Lee has some really good information. Also check out his you tube site, high on android for rooting instructions.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Android Central Forums

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
First off don't fall for the line that rooting and ROM's are the solution to your issues. That isn't always that case.

And don't exepct a smartphone to get the kind of life a blackberry did. They are worlds apart.

But as to your question it depends on the software version you are running. The newest version, 1.85 doesn't have a root method yet, but they are working on it.

xda-developers.com is a good site if you are looking for the latest rooting and custom rom news. But ask here if you need help as they are not the most friendly bunch for first timers. :)

quicksilver53

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Oops. I hope I don't catch flak for mentioning another site. I use different sites for info.

anon(816199)

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
First off don't fall for the line that rooting and ROM's are the solution to your issues. That isn't always that case.

And don't exepct a smartphone to get the kind of life a blackberry did. They are worlds apart.

But as to your question it depends on the software version you are running. The newest version, 1.85 doesn't have a root method yet, but they are working on it.

xda-developers.com is a good site if you are looking for the latest rooting and custom rom news. But ask here if you need help as they are not the most friendly bunch for first timers. :)

Okay I'll keep that in mind and yeah the blackberries always last longer because they don't do nothing at all lol! Well if it helps i'm running 1.29.110.11

quicksilver53

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I hope you found those sites helpful. I just ordered my HTC one x off of ebay and it should arrive early next week.

xXBLACKBERRYXx5

May 18, 2012
Visit site

can you still not root 1.85?

phonegeek

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I spent several weeks off and on reading and learning and trying to make sense of the process before I made the leap earlier this morning.

I have One X from the original release back first week of May. I had downloaded the leaked version of 1.82 from someone here (it may have been linked back to an XDA forum I don't recall.) and went ahead last night and loaded the leaked 1.85.

So this morning I started with trying to root. I started with the one click root from here, now I followed the directions and it generated errors so I moved to the manual method here. Now I am by no means an expert at any of this and freely admit that I don't everything about this but the manual method worked perfectly for me and it isn't complicated at all.

I then went on to unlock the bootloader, here is the link for that.

I had no issues with either of these once I did the root manually....

Hope that helps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87