I got my One X, but have a few concerns

toonhead85

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
So I got my HTC One X today (YAY) and the first thing I noticed was it wouldn't turn on. This is the first device that I have had to start by charging in a long time... but anyway...

My first concern is about the capacitive keys. The task switcher one (far left) only ever partially lights up. Its almost like a bad bulb. It's 100% functional but ascetically unsightly. My question is should I worry about it, or just go about my business? It doesn't bother me, but I'll be upset if I have to take care of an underlying problem that could have been avoided by exchanging it in the first place.

My second and third concern go hand in hand. My phone came with version 1.19 and I have notcied my signal going from 3G to H faster then a rabbit... runs. I also noticed durning charging and downloading apps (over wifi) the phone got extremely hot. Now I know it will get hot from use, but again... should I be worried? I thought I read that the 1.28 fixes the stability of the signal and thus battery stuff, so do I have a problem or do I wait for OTA 1.28+??

Thanks for helping a Sense N00B!

David

masterxchief

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't have this phone, but I am a former Thunderbolt owner who experienced similar issues with the capacitive keys lighting up. I went through quite a few replacements due to various issues and none of them had all of the buttons properly light up. I don't think its a big deal, but the signal thing might be worth swapping the phone out over.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I had an Atrix that got extremely hot as well. Not the normal amount of heat during vigorous activity like gaming or extreme multitasking or anything - I'm talking super hot while just idling in my pocket with nothing even running but Beautiful Widgets and Handcent. I was still within my 30 days at AT&T and replaced it. The second one has never done that. I'd get a replacement, no matter which device it is. Plus, you might get lucky and receive one without the bulb problem.

OLD_HATCH

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
As for the half lit buttons, go look at a display or another onex to verify not all of them have this issue then ask for a replacement. If it bothers you know it will probably bother you later.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
1. If you're not happy about the button not lighting up properly, by all means exchange it! It's your money. Don't settle.

2. Regarding heat and battery: Whoa. 1.19? Interesting. Did you hard-reset the phone when you first got it? We ran into a pretty big aGPS cert bug in testing that required a hard reset to fix.

glazedfaith

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
It's 100% functional but ascetically unsightly.

as?cet?ic/əˈsetik/
Adjective:
Characterized by severe self-discipline and abstention from all forms of indulgence, typically for religious reasons.

I don't normally draw attention to such obvious typos, as we all knew what you meant, but how often does a typo on such a large word result in another, completely different word? That wacky phone is unsightly like a hermit.

But in all seriousness. Take the phone back, and exchange it until you like the phone in your hands. If every one has problems, get a different phone. Too many people are accustomed to taking garbage as top quality to accept a less-than-perfect brand-new specimen.

toonhead85

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I took the phone to work last night and it didn't bother me at all. I played with it for a full 10 hours (because it was slow and I wanted to ^^) The phone works 100% and, maybe its a software thing but the keys don't light up or stay light as long as my old Nexus S. But I'm going to keep it, I didn't notice it at all... But its still there.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I noticed the same thing on my Dinc 2 - it seems to be they designed it so that if you're not looking straight (very little offset viewing allowed) on then they aren't back lit. For me, wasn't worth swapping out the phone.

toonhead85

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
::UPDATE::

I have found more people saying that some if not all 3 of the capacitive buttons are dim, almost purple or blue. So mine showing up Bright White on all 3 is good. I also found that the lights only light up in darker conditions. So as long as there is light on the screen (so normal usage) the keys are dark and you can't tell anything.

So my mind is made up, I'm keeping it. Sill kinda wish the phone used SoftKeys like the GNexus.

steve31

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

I have found more people saying that some if not all 3 of the capacitive buttons are dim, almost purple or blue. So mine showing up Bright White on all 3 is good. I also found that the lights only light up in darker conditions. So as long as there is light on the screen (so normal usage) the keys are dark and you can't tell anything.

So my mind is made up, I'm keeping it. Sill kinda wish the phone used SoftKeys like the GNexus.

In my opinion it's not that bad at all. It wouldn't bother me. But if it bothers you the I would not hesitate to exchange it.

Last edited:

jakmai

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
If i waited for a phone that long, it better damn well be what i wanted. The button does seem half lit, I'd at least compare that to the store demo model.

jeffeboi

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar issue as your heat issue when I was using it navigate in my car.

I had it on charge and the the battery was close to 60 degrees Celsius. It hasn't happened since the first time, but I am monitoring it for any repeat occurrences.

Other than that, it is such an awesome phone.

Faagmer

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Personally, my One X has fully lit buttons on the bottom. All white contrary to the picture you posted.

As for the software bugs, I haven't experienced the bugs that you have, however, my device says it's on build 1.73

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

Exchange it. That is not at all normal. It would bug me to no end. Every demo device and review I've seen has perfectly lit buttons.

Rabble rabble rabble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress