Hotspot turning off after x minutes?

Codeworks

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hello, all.

Does anyone else have the 5GB hotspot data plan and use the hotspot feature on the HOX? Does your hotspot turn off after so much time of inactivity? If so, can this be changed?

Thanks.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Hello, all.

Does anyone else have the 5GB hotspot data plan and use the hotspot feature on the HOX? Does your hotspot turn off after so much time of inactivity? If so, can this be changed?

Thanks.

Its a feature, not a bug.
It turns off 5 minutes after the last client disconnects. No adjustments that I can find.
This is because running your wifi chipset as a router is way way more battery intensive than running is as a client.

Guru

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Some aftermarket apps don't though. I am using an app for my wifi because I have an older unlimited plan that doesn't have tethering I can leave it on all day. Never turns off.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Some aftermarket apps don't though. I am using an app for my wifi because I have an older unlimited plan that doesn't have tethering I can leave it on all day. Never turns off.

I just use a non-carrier phone for this. (My HOX is the international model).

Digging around in the APN settings in my wife's Atrix 2, I see a couple different APNs that have tethering in their name. When you switch on tethering with an AT&T phone it seems to use those APNs. On my HOX, they don't exist.

I suspect that AT&T can't really detect if you are tethering or not on a non AT&T phone, as long as you don't exceed your limit and draw attention to yourself. (There is nothing in the TCP packets that they could reliably and easily check other than the Hop count in the header of outgoing packets. Anything else they might rely on would require a lot of heavy processing for deep packet inspection.

Eddie Huff

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
WiFi and Hotspot are different as are the settings.
WiFi defaults to power saving on when you restart your phone. Setting from dial pad *#0011#, then select WiFi will allow you to toggle the default to off, but it won't stay that way when you restart the phone. You want the ON default to keep battery from being chewed up by the phone looking when there is nothing to find.
You can't use WiFi and Hotspot at the same time. Hotspot will turn off the WiFi, and you want that.
Hotspot:
Turn on Hotspot, then touch Mobil Hotspot. Only from that screen can you now touch your menu key. You'll see timeout settings. Select that from the 10 minute default to what you want. I selected Never.

Remember that your smart phone is a powerful tiny computer. It is a phone, texting thingie, internet thingie, camera, mp3 player, email thingie and all those many things it can do for you.
EACH OF THOSE MODES has it's own menu and settings, not just the basic settings feature of your tiny powerful computer in it's home screen mode. This is the key to getting your phone to do what you choose to have it do, not what the carrier or manufacturer thinks you will like or want.

I hope this helps someone.

-Eddie-
Houston Texas, formerly Sprint and now ATT with the Samsung Galaxy Note II

evanboy

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
You solved my biggest headache! For months my HTC Amaze hotspot would drop the connection to my laptopwhile I was working on the laptop , for no reason at all. So back into Control Panel I"d go to reconnect after turning the hotspot on once again.
It was going off at exactly 10 minutes I finally figd out.
I followed your advice and found the setting in the hotspot menu. Reset it to Never and Bob's your uncle. No more problems losing the hotspot signal.

Thanks a bunch. My Amaze was not defective after all.!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramhja11