Can't see files in Windows Explorer? AT&T One X

unopepito06

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi all

Just got my One X a few days ago. I am having a problem where I can't see certain files that I know are on the device within Windows explorer. For example, if I attach the phone to USB and connect for file transfers, then navigate in Windows explorer to DCIM, the folder is totally empty, even though I have taken a picture (just one, but shouldn't it be there?). Also, comicrack creates a folder called Comics with a comicrack.ini file inside it, but that folder appears empty in Windows explorer too (that's actually how I came about this problem, I cannot sync with ComicRack desktop unless windows can see that .ini file). I have file from an email attachment in my downloads folder as well, but again, nothing on the computer. Some files I can see, but most folders are totally empty. Has anyone else experienced this? This is my first android phone, so I'm hoping there's a simple fix that I am unaware of.

USB connection has been temperamental in general. I hope I don't have to do a factory reset, though maybe now would be a good time to do it?

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
When you set up does a menue come up asking how you want the application to read ? Like disk or htc sync, and when your reading through windows folders or are going to the assigned drive .I know the HTC Evo4GLTE has my pictures/ pictures folder and dcim. There is also ext_sd folder which has its own set as well as a download folder. You might want search for some of these.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: unopepito06

unopepito06

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes, in the drop down menu I'm choosing to connect under the "File Transfer" option. This is the only way I can get the folder structure of the phone to appear in windows. Otherwise it just appears as an empty drive letter.

Now, it's interesting what you said about having a separate folder. I went digging around, and I found in messing with a file explorer inside comicrack is that under the root-most folder, there is sdcard, and then there is mnt, which also has sdcard beneath it. Both sdcard directories have the full file structure beneath them, Movies, Music, Downloads, etc. I'm unsure whether they are 2 different folders, or whether they are both looking at the same place, but the problem remains, I can still only access what appears in Windows explorer, and I just did a factory reset, and I still can't view anything, including that .ini file.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
You might want to try and download htc sync from their web site. They have a new version listed at the top of the page, also check for a Windows update.

Reactions: unopepito06

unopepito06

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, it turns out it was in fact a driver issue. Got access to another computer, plugged it in and it worked just fine, so I knew it wasn't anything wrong with the phone. Here's the weird thing: what finally got it working was actually uninstalling HTC Sync manager and HTC Driver Installer. As soon as I took those off, the phone connected as an external drive as it should, and everything was fine. So, beware that progam! :p Besides, it won't let you add any media from an external hard drive, so it was basically useless to me anyway.

Thanks for your help, mercury! :D

Reactions: Mercury81

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
So glad you have it working, thanks for the heads up on HTC 's software.:thumbup:;)

Matt Butler

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue but I've tried on several PCs. The problem is that I have a lot of data on my external storage (listed as SD Card although you cannot really take it out or anything since the HTC One X is hermetically sealed :'( ). I don't think HTC Sync Manager checks the external storage and honestly, I don't like using it just like I didn't like using iTunes when I had an iPhone.

Anyway, I need to store some of my music that is on my external storage to my computer but all I see is the internal storage. Can someone tell me how to find the external storage from Windows Explorer? I have tried turning on USB debugging on the phone and un-hiding folders in Windows also but that didn't really do anything.

Thanks

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue but I've tried on several PCs. The problem is that I have a lot of data on my external storage (listed as SD Card although you cannot really take it out or anything since the HTC One X is hermetically sealed :'( ). I don't think HTC Sync Manager checks the external storage and honestly, I don't like using it just like I didn't like using iTunes when I had an iPhone.

Anyway, I need to store some of my music that is on my external storage to my computer but all I see is the internal storage. Can someone tell me how to find the external storage from Windows Explorer? I have tried turning on USB debugging on the phone and un-hiding folders in Windows also but that didn't really do anything.
Thanks

After the jelly bean update,HTC changed the r/w to mtp: you can transfer files, while still using the phone.... plug the phone into the pc, make sure you have the newest HTC sync manager installed..open up device manager in Windows, right click the device and update drivers.

phone will now show up as a media device in Windows, and you can browse/transfer folders/files like before... just plug the phone in and it should be automatic now

Matt Butler

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Haven't tried it out but I will this weekend. If what you say is true, and I have no reason to believe you will lie lol, I should be good. Thanks a lot!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty