Rant. I don't like the power button on top.

lespaul

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm just new to the phone. Coming from iPhone, I miss the power button on front of phone.

Does anyone agree or have any ergonomically tips for me, or have you just gotten used to it?

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

schlemer

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I actually like the power button on top. On the Samsung GS3, I found myself inadvertently hitting the power button. It was quite annoying. Also, on my previous BlackBerry devices the power button ( or lock ) was on top as well.

Pdj79

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Do you mean the Home button? The iPhone's power button is also on the top right of the phone. I actually prefer not having a Home button because I always accidentally hit it whenever I'd put it in my pocket.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Top is great.

If you wanted it the same as an iphone you should have stayed with iphone.

Look how much screen real estate you have to give up to put power on the front. Makes no sense.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

lespaul

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I can't stand it when people say things like what you said. Do you really think I should have stayed with the iphone e just based on me not being used to the lack of a home button?? It was a simple comment. Most of the things about it I love, much more than the. The iPhone. That's why I bought it. However you are right, we do get a lot more real estate without it.

Top is great.

If you wanted it the same as an iphone you should have stayed with iphone.

Look how much screen real estate you have to give up to put power on the front. Makes no sense.

Last edited:

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't like it where it is either. It is often difficult to unlock on first try one handed, for me, as the phone is large enough that getting a strong enough grip to push the button without pushing the whole phone is awkward. I would imagine it is easier with large hands.

My previous two phones were Samsung, and I like their setup.

I find our volume rocker a tad too easy to hit on accident when running the phone naked too. Which I do due to the car dock.

However, the overall feel of the solid body of the phone more than makes up for the, to me, minor quibbles. The phone just feels... Solid.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Android Central Forums

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't like it where it is either. It is often difficult to unlock on first try one handed, for me, as the phone is large enough that getting a strong enough grip to push the button without pushing the whole phone is awkward. I would imagine it is easier with large hands.

My previous two phones were Samsung, and I like their setup.

I find our volume rocker a tad too easy to hit on accident when running the phone naked too. Which I do due to the car dock.

However, the overall feel of the solid body of the phone more than makes up for the, to me, minor quibbles. The phone just feels... Solid.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Android Central Forums

I totally agree with everything you said here. With this size phone, I think the unlock button should be on the side. Also, why does the volume rocker have to be so darn big? I am constantly adjusting the volume by accident!

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site

When my other hand is full, I just take the phone out of my pocket, bump the button on my chin, yank the ring with my thumb and DONE. Any firm or hard surface will do as well.

Held thumb on screen, middle, ring and pinkie fingers on the back, even small hands can reach the top button with the index finger.

Maybe WakeAll helps the small hands: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=org.firezenk.wakeall&hl=en&token=SZ-BYXxU

Last edited:

lespaul

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
This helps a lot actually. Thx.

When my other hand is full, I just take the phone out of my pocket, bump the button on my chin, yank the ring with my thumb and DONE. Any firm or hard surface will do as well.

Held thumb on screen, middle, ring and pinkie on back, even small hands can reach the top button.

Maybe WakeAll helps the small hands: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=org.firezenk.wakeall&hl=en&token=qnxoh8J0

dukeblue91

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I like the position of the power button but don't like that it has a angle on it as that makes it harder to use.
Speaking of buttons I don't like the volume buttons at all every time I pick up my phone I somehow touch and change the volume.
They are to mushy if that makes sense.

Martinezma99

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
The power on top takes some getting used to specially coming from the iPhone. I too disliked it at first. Now, it becomes second nature and don't even think about it anymore.

The volume buttons were an issue too. Give it time and before you know it you will realize the HTC One X is an incredible phone. Enjoy!

hectord27

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I love this phone to death but the only thing I have against it is the power button on top. Sometimes I see myself turning it on with one hand and stop to look at my hand and just say, "Wtf am I doing? My hand is in the most awkward position right now." It's definitely not the best feature in this phone. Where would I put it? IDK, just make it quick and easy. (That's what she said).

LesMiserables

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
With a nice grip you can gently slide the phone down your palm making it easy to access the power button with your index finger. For extra safety bend your pinky finger so the phone rests on that while you're sliding.
With a bit of practice you can do this safely and quickly

Now Faster & Smoother!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699