Unlock using imei?

anon(819941)

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
My one x is carrier branded, but I am thinking of unlocking it. I have done a bit of digging and have found some Internet companies that offer unlocking using imei code, claiming it is the right and safe way of doing it. They also claim my warranty will not be voided as a result.

I am completely new to this process. Does anybody know if it is indeed safe? It's the warranty piece true as well?

Thanks!

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
If you are in good standing with your carrier, they may unlock it for you, such as if you will be traveling to other countries or something.
Worst case, they may ask you to pay ETF if you are leaving them entirely.
AT&T settled a court case with an agreement that obligated them to unlock Android phones, but not necessarily phones that are not yet paid off.

anon(819941)

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, the reason I am asking is because I want to cancel my contract prematurely. In my country, they are only forced to unlock it for you once the contract is over.

In any case, does anyone know if there are risks involved in unlocking like that?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, the reason I am asking is because I want to cancel my contract prematurely. In my country, they are only forced to unlock it for you once the contract is over.

In any case, does anyone know if there are risks involved in unlocking like that?

Wouldn't you have to pay off the contract when you cancel it? Early Termination Fee or some such? If so that would mean the contract would be OVER.

Unless you plan to just walk away from the contract with the phone , which would amount to theft.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

anon(819941)

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't you have to pay off the contract when you cancel it? Early Termination Fee or some such? If so that would mean the contract would be OVER.

Unless you plan to just walk away from the contract with the phone , which would amount to theft.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Well, you are right, the contract would hence be over, I guess I will try with them, but I don't hold much hope... Carriers tend to find any caveat to get away from obligations of such kind.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89