GPS notification flashed Every 30-40 seconds

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Noticed an odd situation last couple of days with the GPS icon on the status bar blinking maybe 5 or 6 blinks every 30 to 40 seconds,
Then it goes out. 40 seconds later its back.

I couldn't find anything using the GPS. No apps running, or cached background processes that were gps related.
I could of course turn off the GPS, but when I turned it back on later, same result.

I was also seeing much worse battery life, down from 20-24 to about 14 hours.

Running alogcat, I was seeing a flood of GPS related NMEA messages. NMEA a language for passing
messages from one instrument to another, typically used on ships, and often used between navigation
systems and GPS receivers. Did not realize it was even in the phone.

Just on a hunch I uninstalled Field Trip which was
the only new GPS related app I have tried in a while. (It was just a little creepy anyway). Others have reported it
affecting battery. (There's no way to shut off Field Trip. If its installed its running and tracking you 24/7.
I have no proof it was the culprit.

Then I rebooted, and that solved this, and I haven't seen a re-occurance, but I'll keep an eye out.

Mostly posting this so if others see this behavior google will find an answer.

Pdj79

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Damn...that looked like such a handy app for when I go out of town, but if it seriously does that much drain on your phone, then no thank you. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Damn...that looked like such a handy app for when I go out of town, but if it seriously does that much drain on your phone, then no thank you. Thanks for the heads up.

It actually worked for weeks before this symptom appeared. Its like part of it crashed or something.
I still have no evidence it was the culprit, but I didn't like the stealth approach the developers took.
It seems vaguely dishonest to track you 23/7 with something you can't shut off without an uninstall.
In any event, it never alerted me to anything at all, so I'll run without it for a while, and maybe
reinstall when I travel.