Contact Picture Issue

John Moore6

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm having a little trouble with my contacts pictures. Currently, I have all my contacts synced with my google contacts account. All of the thumbnail pictures have synced correctly when I'm browsing through my phonebook. However, when I open a contact and see the fullsize photo (or when the contact calls me and the full size photo comes up), the picture shows up but it has black grids running thorough it. I have googled this issue and found absolutely nothing. I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions.

Again, when someone calls me, there picture appears but the picture has gridlines running through it. The thumbnail version of the photo is fine in my contact book (at least until I click on that contact and the picture enlarges.

John Moore6

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I take it you guys aren't running into this problem? I've cleared the image cache and resynced my google contacts acount to my phone with no luck. This issue is driving me crazy! It sucks to have this awesome phone, but when someone calls you gridlines are running through their photo.

Erik Pendleton

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I take it you guys aren't running into this problem? I've cleared the image cache and resynced my google contacts acount to my phone with no luck. This issue is driving me crazy! It sucks to have this awesome phone, but when someone calls you gridlines are running through their photo.

I read somewhere it has to do with the resolution of the contact photos. If the contact photo is not high enough resolution, they do that circle dot thing that allows it not to look all pixelated. I am not sure how to get high res contact photos but I think it is possible. Then it won't do that.

I haven't had time to look into it as it doesn't bother me much.

Erik Pendleton

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I read somewhere it has to do with the resolution of the contact photos. If the contact photo is not high enough resolution, they do that circle dot thing that allows it not to look all pixelated. I am not sure how to get high res contact photos but I think it is possible. Then it won't do that.

I haven't had time to look into it as it doesn't bother me much.

This might help -

Hallelujah: Google Finally Fixes High Resolution Contact Sync, Updates Web Contact Sync With Brand New UI

Erik Pendleton

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

OK, I just did this for one contact and it works.

Go to gmail on you computer. Select a contact. Change the picture. It will now sync the picture to your phone.

The old contact photos were like 92x92 pixels. When you add a new one it will be like 720x720.

John Moore6

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Thx everyone, I appreciate your replies. The grid being caused by a low resolution photo makes a lot of sense to me. Unfortunately, when I tried to upload a new a high resolution photo into google, it still showed up in my contacts with the grid when it synced to my phone. Google is forcing me to crop my photos, so maybe that is the issue. Anyways, if you know of a way to upload photos into google without cropping met me know. Otherwise, I'll prob concentrate on my exams and work on this problem once I get out of school for the summer.

Thx again for all the replies tho. Now I know how to go about fixing this problem.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Thx everyone, I appreciate your replies. The grid being caused by a low resolution photo makes a lot of sense to me. Unfortunately, when I tried to upload a new a high resolution photo into google, it still showed up in my contacts with the grid when it synced to my phone. Google is forcing me to crop my photos, so maybe that is the issue. Anyways, if you know of a way to upload photos into google without cropping met me know. Otherwise, I'll prob concentrate on my exams and work on this problem once I get out of school for the summer.

Thx again for all the replies tho. Now I know how to go about fixing this problem.

As long as you uploaded a high res picture, it should update on the phone whenever it syncs.

HunterKen7

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
You guys sure about this? Its not like it is a low res, blurry image. Its like the photo has a weird circle dot pixel effect added to it. I uploaded high res images to my contact a while ago and I am getting this added effect. Check it out:

DdoqGTA.png

13ringinheat

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Its a problem with google contacts. If you place the picture in your phone's gallery and use it as a contact it will not be pixelated like what you are experiencing.

HunterKen7

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Well, that's lame. I spent a lot of time setting up all of my google contacts pictures when they made the leap to HD contacts last year!

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
You guys sure about this? Its not like it is a low res, blurry image. Its like the photo has a weird circle dot pixel effect added to it. I uploaded high res images to my contact a while ago and I am getting this added effect. Check it out:

http://i.imgur.com/DdoqGTA.png

The dot effect is a niffty way to get a low res picture to upscale without being a pixel mess. It is sort of a way of tricking the eye and is kind of magic, but while it is preferable to pixelated blobs, it isn't as nice as a proper resolution photo. However, you can fix it

EDIT - solved see this post http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/270273-contact-picture-issue-2.html#post2764598

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87