Sorry. Rant. Is anyone else as sick of "it just works" as I am????

beaglebaby

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Actually a good friend of mine thinks just that. He uses that phrase all the time and equates the "other" smart phone with Microsoft Windows XP (which he still uses). He calls them Bill Gates phones (meaning Android). Funny thing is he has never used any other phone, but he "knows" they don't "just work" like his iPhone. I AM sick of hearing it...

This. This is what I was finding when I was out there reading all the different forums. It gets annoying after a while because the implication is definitely that if it is not an iPhone it can't possibly just work, all the while ignoring that, as the iPhone has gotten more complex, it too has issues and it isn't always perfectly just working right out of the box.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Yo' Adrian,

In case you missed the following passage I submitted in response to your request for "Empirical Evidence", here it is...

"Emulation is also a core component of 21st century consumerism. As a general trend, regular consumers seek to emulate those who are above them in the social hierarchy. The poor strive to imitate the wealthy and the wealthy imitate celebrities and other icons. The celebrity endorsement of products can be seen as evidence of the desire of modern consumers to purchase products partly or solely to emulate people of higher social status. This purchasing behavior may co-exist in the mind of a consumer with an image of oneself as being an individualist."

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I saw that. As I said earlier, if you're upset that there are uninformed consumers you might just want to let it go, there isn't much you can do about that and it certainly isn't specific to this conversation.

beaglebaby

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
the iPhone is definitely a status symbol in the sub 25 demographic, even more so for teens and pre teens.

I read something a couple of months back that the fickle teens are now moving over to Windows phone as their "cool" phone of choice. Apparanetly they were not liking carrying around granny's phone any more. Just anectdotally, was sitting behind a group of girls in the theater a couple of weekends ago. They were all sharing pics waiting for the movie to start, and I noticed they all had the Windows phone. Just thought it was funny that I had recently read that and then noticed it first hand.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I saw that. As I said earlier, if you're upset that there are uninformed consumers you might just want to let it go, there isn't much you can do about that and it certainly isn't specific to this conversation.

I'm not upset...You denied that particular phenomenon existed and demanded "Empirical Evidence" to the contrary...Now I see how you are. You deny things exist if they don't suit your needs, then deflect when given what you ask for... I'll just add you to my handy and thankfully short list of people not worth responding to in the future.

Have a great day :)

beaglebaby

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I never understood the idea that the iPhone is a status symbol. Are they difficult no get? No. Are they more expensive than other phones? No. Are they in limited supply? No. Do you have to know someone to get one? No. So in what way is an iPhone a status symbol? If anything they're ubiquitous.

You are 100% right on all counts, but it still considered by many to be a status symbol. I don't think as much so anymore, but definitely in the earlier days.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Go back and read all my posts in this thread, that's all I ever said.

Actually you went on and on and on about how there's absolutely nothing else like an iPhone (which is true, but there's also nothing like a HTC One, S4, or anything else). You also went on about how the iPhone isn't used as a status symbol when it clearly is amongst the people some of us deal with (maybe not in your environment).

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
This. This is what I was finding when I was out there reading all the different forums. It gets annoying after a while because the implication is definitely that if it is not an iPhone it can't possibly just work, all the while ignoring that, as the iPhone has gotten more complex, it too has issues and it isn't always perfectly just working right out of the box.

Microsoft is on to something with those Windows Phones...If they could get developers to write more apps for them, they'd be set. Those Win 8 tiles work quite well on a phone.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm not upset...You denied that particular phenomenon existed and demanded "Empirical Evidence" to the contrary...Now I see how you are. You deny things exist if they don't suit your needs, then deflect when given what you ask for... I'll just add you to my handy and thankfully short list of people not worth responding to in the future.

Actually I said I didn't understand the phenomenon. I still don't get how it's status symbol, but others have already pointed out that in the under 30 demographic it is seen that way. I never denied it. Why are you so dead set on finding fault with everything I'm saying? I honestly think you may have misread some of my posts.

beaglebaby

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft is on to something with those Windows Phones...If they could get developers to write more apps for them, they'd be set. Those Win 8 tiles work quite well on a phone.

Completely agree, it is a really cool phone. One of the ones I was looking at early on, but was going to stay with Sprint and they didn't carry it yet, and my store couldn't tell me when they would get it. Played with it in the Verizon store, though, and liked it. Did read a couple of months back that it is the #1 selling phone in some of the eastern Europe countries, and it is coming on strong in India and China as well. I do see how it can be the up and coming cool things for teens. It is a nice looking phone.

glamrlama

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Again, you missed the point entirely. No one is saying what you have imagined them to be saying. No one is saying the iPhone isn't great for certain people. How are people continually drawing that imaginary connection between "it just works" and "no one can enjoy iOS"?? Come on people. Not every single thread on here is bashing iOS or the iPhone. If you're itching to fight about it, don't try to create something when there's nothing there.

Did you quote the wrong person? What point did I miss? What did I bash and what fight am I picking?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

This is why I get so frustrated when debating things with iPhone fans. Don't get me wrong, like i've said 15 times- I am okay with them liking what they like and me liking what I like. But more often than not, when I try to explain my views, i'm always wrong and they're always right. You can have all the proof in the world and suddenly what they've "said all along" changes dramatically. Then they go on and on about something that makes absolutely no sense just in the interest of not admitting they were mistaken.

I could give a whole list of Android fans i've had debates with on this site, and they or I have ultimately admitted we were mistaken. But I can't think of a single Apple fan this has happened with. Maybe i'm just having bad luck with them but that's been my personal experience. I guess when they resort to: "It just works", there's absolutely no logic or reason behind that phrase so why would there be logic or reason behind the entire basis of their debate? I think they're just in shock that I don't like the same phone that Beyonce and Kim Kardashian like.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Did you quote the wrong person? What point did I miss? What did I bash and what fight am I picking?

You repeated the point that iOS works for some people and that's okay. But no one was arguing that fact. Almost everyone had already mentioned that in their post. Someone liking iOS has nothing to do with what the OP was saying.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Really? Care to provide examples? In this thread all I've said is that there is something to the claim that the OP didn't get.

I'm here because I use the One as my daily driver. I switched from the iPhone because even with it being jailbroken I found the customization options limiting. I couldn't stand how data was siloed. I was really jealous of larger screens. When I discovered the One and saw how Android had evolved it was obvious to me that for me the One was a better device than anything else available.

Are you sure you don't have me confused with someone else? Apple makes some great products, but it's far from a company without faults. iOS get a disproportionate amount of crap in these forums, but that's to be expected. I'll state my opinion, but again I'm not an Apple apologist.

Here's the biggest frustration with a conversation/debate when there's a disagreement. When you KNOW you have consistently and frequently taken a specific stance or response to a situation, and you demand "examples" in order to prove what is already obvious. I recognize you for 2 things. Your EMT avatar with a firetruck in the background, and your frequent responses to people who say anything slightly negative about the Apple community. That's how I remember you specifically in these conversations. I will not go search for specific examples, because even if I posted each and every one to prove my point, you'd deny it, and switch your argument to something entirely different just like you've done with HalizDad in this very thread.

That being said, this thread alone pretty much proves my points that you asked for examples so I guess you could re-read it like you're telling everyone else to do. I know you use the One as your daily driver. I'm not telling you that you don't belong here or that you have to justify why. I'm saying that the fact you're here, proves that Apple isn't perfect or none of use would be here. Then I went on to say that because Apple hasn't fulfilled your need for a larger screen, and customizable options you should be pretty quick to say that Android fans are justified for being irritated by certain things.

I am okay with Apple fans saying Android is fragmented and that updates are inconsistent, and that they prefer the quality build of the iPhone. So why can't Apple fans return the hospitality when Android fans complain about the things that bother them about iOS and the filthy, filthy tactics that the company uses? No one wants to have someone else try to prove them wrong just because they've had a different experience. Especially when we're in the friendly confines of our Android forum. It's not like we've gone to iMore to stir up dirt.

You've told more than one of us that we've misunderstood you and we need to re-read your posts. Is it possible that maybe it ISN'T us?

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
When you KNOW you have consistently and frequently taken a specific stance or response to a situation, and you demand "examples" in order to prove what is already obvious. I recognize you for 2 things. I will not go search for specific examples, because even if I posted each and every one to prove my point, you'd deny it, and switch your argument to something entirely different just like you've done with HalizDad in this very thread.
Listen, you're trying to label me as someone who blindly defends Apple, which isn't true. If you would like to continue to make that claim please back it up. I don't feel it is unreasonable to ask for proof of any assertion.

I'm saying that the fact you're here, proves that Apple isn't perfect or none of use would be here. Then I went on to say that because Apple hasn't fulfilled your need for a larger screen, and customizable options you should be pretty quick to say that Android fans are justified for being irritated by certain things.
No one in this thread has ever claimed that Apple is perfect. We all see problems with Apple's devices/OS since, you know, we aren't using them. We can all agree about that. I don't think that gives anyone license to blindly label all people who use iOS as inferior or as people who simply aren't using their brains when they choose their devices.

I am okay with Apple fans saying Android is fragmented and that updates are inconsistent, and that they prefer the quality build of the iPhone. So why can't Apple fans return the hospitality when Android fans complain about the things that bother them about iOS and the filthy, filthy tactics that the company uses?
No one is stopping you from complaining about what you don't like about iOS or Apple products. Complain away. All I've been addressing in this thread in the OPs comments and questions or comments directed at me.

Personally I think the whole "my device is better than yours" is ridiculous. I don't engage in that debate because there are multiple right answers and, really, no one can make that call for someone else.

quailman421

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Oh definitely. "It just works." is not what tech savvy people want to hear. We want intelligent slogans and information. We're not stupid. "It just works" is the sort of thing you tell Grandma when she questions why a cellphone works.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Actually you went on and on and on about how there's absolutely nothing else like an iPhone (which is true, but there's also nothing like a HTC One, S4, or anything else).
Exactly, so we agree then. You may be trying to take a poke at my point here, but I honestly think you are finally getting where I'm coming from. Apple's system is unique, it isn't something many people are interested in, but it is unique.

You also went on about how the iPhone isn't used as a status symbol when it clearly is amongst the people some of us deal with (maybe not in your environment).
This is false. I said I didn't understand how it was a status symbol. Others pointed out that in a certain age demographic it is. I said I had little experience with that age demographic. I still don't understand how anyone would see a phone as an identifier or status, but that's just me.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Listen, you're trying to label me as someone who blindly defends Apple, which isn't true. If you would like to continue to make that claim please back it up. I don't feel it is unreasonable to ask for proof of any assertion.

No one in this thread has ever claimed that Apple is perfect. We all see problems with Apple's devices/OS since, you know, we aren't using them. We can all agree about that. I don't think that gives anyone license to blindly label all people who use iOS as inferior or as people who simply aren't using their brains when they choose their devices.

No one is stopping you from complaining about what you don't like about iOS or Apple products. Complain away. All I've been addressing in this thread in the OPs comments and questions or comments directed at me.

Personally I think the whole "my device is better than yours" is ridiculous. I don't engage in that debate because there are multiple right answers and, really, no one can make that call for someone else.

The problem is though, everything you are saying you DON'T do, are things that it sure seems like you're doing. And I don't think i'm alone in feeling that way because 2 or 3 others in this thread have taken exception to your comments. That's partially our fault for "misunderstanding" you, but I think it's also partially your fault for not being clear and jumping around a little bit so it's harder for us to understand your point. In one post, you defend everything Apple. In your next post, you say it wasn't fitting your needs so you switched to Android. Then you tell people you disagree that iPhone is used as a status symbol because they have seen it and you haven't. But then a few posts later you say that you weren't disputing it, but that you were simply unable to understand why it happens. My point is, it's difficult to get a handle on where you're coming from. I do appreciate you clarifying though in this response you've given.

Aside from all of that, OP's post and a lot of the comments that followed are based on personal experience and personal opinion. So really we're all a little insane and uptight for trying to debate about what someone else feels or has experienced. I enjoy the passion and I appreciate everyone's opinions. My frustration kicked in when people started reading in to what OP and a few of us said and tried to insinuate that iOS sucked when in reality that was never remotely stated.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Exactly, so we agree then. You may be trying to take a poke at my point here, but I honestly think you are finally getting where I'm coming from. Apple's system is unique, it isn't something many people are interested in, but it is unique.

This is false. I said I didn't understand how it was a status symbol. Others pointed out that in a certain age demographic it is. I said I had little experience with that age demographic. I still don't understand how anyone would see a phone as an identifier or status, but that's just me.

Why do you feel the need though to repeatedly state the obvious that not all phones are iPhones? There HAS to be an underlying point to that phrase or why would you say it more than once? Obviously it's unique. So is HTC, Samsung, Motorola, LG, Nokia, Microsoft, Sony, Heinz Tomato Ketchup, Lea & Perrin's Worcestershire sauce, Ashley Furniture, etc.. I think you were going for more than what you're pretending now, because no one would randomly feel the need to tell tech saavy forum users that Apple is a different company than Google. Or was that really your only point? I know i'm being a bit sarcastic, but this is the perfect illustration of how you adjust your original point depending on the responses you get.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty