Anyone else having bluetooth-headset sound quality issues with the ONE?

daddio211

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Replying to my own post here, there was ONE thing that HTC asked me to do that made a significant difference in the sound quality that you all can try too.

1. With the phone app open (you know, the keypad where you dial from?) press the three dots in the top right corner.
2. Choose "Settings"
3. Scroll down to "CDMA call settings"
4. Uncheck "Voice Privacy"
5. Exit out and test a call with your BT headset.

I didn't need to reboot my phone, and after a few test calls to employees (who are used to hearing me on the phone) the consensus was that it was much improved, they could actually understand me, but the that call quality wasn't good enough for a conference call or to speak with a customer. Still over-driven audio output, but much better. You may be able to use it in a pinch.

daddio211

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Quick update. I spent one hour and forty minutes on the phone this morning with HTC engineers. We downloaded several pieces of software to both my phone and my One, captured records of several instances, and I uploaded them for their evaluation. I'll keep y'all posted as this progresses.

Jltklt

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I have an HTC one phone and a Motorola 730 bluetooth. My main issue is that I am loud and a little distorted to people while using bluetooth. I put a piece of electrical tape over the mic hole on bluetooth and that helped some. I even talked to HTC and let the woman hear the difference with tape. She of course had no fix. I can barely talk to husband because he has an HTC one also. It's like it's twice as bad. We are always telling each other to quit yelling. I tried to turn off the voice privacy like you said but am not seeing anything that says cdma or voice privacy.
Any help would be appreciated.

Replying to my own post here, there was ONE thing that HTC asked me to do that made a significant difference in the sound quality that you all can try too.

1. With the phone app open (you know, the keypad where you dial from?) press the three dots in the top right corner.
2. Choose "Settings"
3. Scroll down to "CDMA call settings"
4. Uncheck "Voice Privacy"
5. Exit out and test a call with your BT headset.

I didn't need to reboot my phone, and after a few test calls to employees (who are used to hearing me on the phone) the consensus was that it was much improved, they could actually understand me, but the that call quality wasn't good enough for a conference call or to speak with a customer. Still over-driven audio output, but much better. You may be able to use it in a pinch.

daddio211

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I have an HTC one phone and a Motorola 730 bluetooth. My main issue is that I am loud and a little distorted to people while using bluetooth. I put a piece of electrical tape over the mic hole on bluetooth and that helped some. I even talked to HTC and let the woman hear the difference with tape. She of course had no fix. I can barely talk to husband because he has an HTC one also. It's like it's twice as bad. We are always telling each other to quit yelling. I tried to turn off the voice privacy like you said but am not seeing anything that says cdma or voice privacy.
Any help would be appreciated.

Is your carrier Verizon? I believe Verizon and Sprint are the only carriers using CDMA. AT&T T-Mobile and most others use GSM or similar.

I don't know if there is a "GMS call settings" on your phone, and if so if it has a "Voice Privacy" setting check box. Can you confirm?

vinsanity84

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Any updates daddio? Just got the one and I really don't want to take it back, but the Bluetooth call quality is terrible...Tunnelly and robotic are the adjectives people have used to describe the quality

Posted via Android Central App

Erik Schwach

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
I also have been having this problem for some time. Just stumbled on this thread. I have tried numerous headsets and still have the same problem. There are no settings like you described on the AT&T version of the One. Any other suggestions or updates to this problem?

daddio211

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
AT&T will have different settings because they use a different network protocol. This is the first confirmation I've received that the trouble is not isolated to Verizon phones only, thank you.

HTC promised to get back to me earlier this week, thanks for the reminder! I'll post as I know more.

Rainydays425

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
I just got an HTC One as a work phone, replacing my old Blackberry. I went through three earpieces and even had the phone warranty replaced because of the horrible outgoing sound quality through Bluetooth (lots of echo, sounds like I'm yelling from the end of a long tunnel). I'm glad I found this forum, as it confirms my suspicion that it's an inherent problem with the phone, not the earpiece.

I have Android 4.3 with AT&T, so the latest software did not solve this problem. Does anyone have any further updates?

daddio211

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Well, I just received a response from HTC but not the one I anticipated.

Hi Eric,

As from our Engineering team, we will have fix in next release.

Thanks for your patient.

Thanks,

T*******a​

Needless to say, I'm not leaving this alone. I'm pushing for a solid time commitment or patch.

Last edited:

daddio211

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
More emails to HTC falling on deaf ears. No replies whatsoever.

You know, I didn't "expect" anything from them other than a resolution and maybe even Beta testing their software patch, but the first engineer who contacted me told me they would send me a replacement phone and even HTC swag (yippee) for my assistance. Really, I have ZERO interest in a HTC shirt, gym bag, pen, flashlight, whatever, but the commitment was made that I would be compensated somehow.

You're welcome HTC and the rest of the world for getting to the bottom of this for you. Ugh. Now if they would only tell us WHEN we'll get this new release!

If I don't get an answer soon I think I'll release these engineers email addresses and phone numbers to a certain tech news website to see if THEY can get an answer. I'm pretty mad about this if you can't tell.

Last edited:

Jens Bay

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm a retailer from Denmark - we're having this problem on 2 htc one - my own and a
customer - problem is not that big for me as my voice compared to the customer is "high",
his voice is more "lots of singin' and beers" like - so him speaking on both phones is a problem,
we tried 10 different headsets........

today - downloading right now as we speak - a 300+ mb fw has hit my phone........maybe we're
nearer the end on this.......?

Jens

Rainydays425

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
I've given up and purchased a wired earphone/mic set from Klipsch. It is noise cancelling and the quality on both ends is great. I feel like I'm going backwards in technology, but it beats yelling into the speakerphone while driving down the highway.

daddio211

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
The engineering group says Verizon will roll out Kit Kat in the next two days to all HTC Ones and have asked me to report back. PLEASE let me know your experiences after the OTA update.

With Jens Bay's experience I'm not expecting any improvement.

Ome ritchy

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Dear everybody,
I have the HTC one for an half year i like the phone very much, as written in this forum there is a hudge problem with the Bluetooth stack and google and, and and...
Doesn't matter who or what is the problem, till now it isn't solved, is doesn't work , crappy sound at both ends, tried all kinds of ear pieces.
Have had contact whit HTC several times, no solution, the only sollution they offered is to send the phone to them for repair (take 10 days or more) and if it is not the problem of HTC i would get a bill.

You understand this is not an option, just repair the damn bleutooth stack.
I now use my very old HTC x7500 for calls with a jabra headset, because this way i know i have good quality phone calls.
I hoped that i could have the same good quality phone calls with the HTC one, but that was not the case, i was HTC minded but if this problem is not solved i have to look for another phone, sadly.

It is very frustrating that they do not have a sollution and that they are blaming other parties.
I posted several times with the XDA forum, and they also have no solution for this, it could be bad hardware or bad software either way no sollution yet.
The problem lays with HTC.

When do we get an working sollution HTC?????????, hope they read this forum.
Kind regards.

daddio211

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Ome Ritchey, please tell us where you are located and who your carrier is so I can pass your info along to my HTC contact.

Also please post a kink to the XDA thread so I can follow alongbthere as well.

As stated before, the Kit Kat update did not address the issue at all. I received my OTA update about four days ago and can verify that too.

My HTC contact had a family emergency so I don't expect to hear back from her until the middle of next week. I'll keep everyone posted.

This phone has now been out for almost a YEAR. It's their flagship! I'm completely disgusted with their lack of concern.

Does anyone know if the Mini or the Max have the same issue?

mattb2003

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the Verizon HTC One and the Icon HD. People are constantly asking me to repeat myself because they can't understand what I'm saying. It's really frustrating. I've also tried the Plantronics M155, and that was just as bad. I previously had a Galaxy S3, and it seemed to work flawlessly. I upgraded to KitKat last week, but now it seems to be worse. I can't even get voice dialing to work (keep getting the "didn't catch that" message). I may follow the way of Rainydays and just get a decent wired headset. I contacted HTC a while back regarding this issue and the response was to try another headset and then send in the phone if it's not working. Will certainly take this into consideration when purchasing my next phone.

RoberMR

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Have Sprint HTC One. Bad sound via BT on phone calls. Scratchy, creeky, squeeky, tunnely, garbled. Tried with 2 different Blueant Q3s, plantronica M1100, Jabra Freeway car speakerphone device. All sound crappy in either direction. Streaming audio via BT is OK. The One is updated to most recent firmware available from Sprint. Android 4.2. Called HTC today and they said they are not aware of a problem. I told them to feel free to go to some Android forums and read about the issues.They walked me thru clearing the cache but it didn't help.

I called them a second time using the earset and they acknowledged that my voice sounded funny. And I was calling from a quiet place in my house.

My previous phone an HTC Design 4G sounded just fine with the same headsets.

Add me to the list of extremely dissatisfied HTC customers.

Rightrider2

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi, what is going on? I had a htc One X, no problem. And now a htc One. Bad sound on BT!!!! I have to use a wired headset.... Have you heard from htc???

Rightrider

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87