is there an android equivalent to blackberry's mynumber short cut?

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
i come from years of blackberry use....when you typed 'mynumber' in an sms/email/whatever, it automatically inserted your phone's number. can i do something similar on my android?

there were so many little things that blackberry did right...if only they had a decent selection of apps. sigh.

freakshow999

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Don't have a quick answer for you. Just wanted to agree on BB having many things right. I remember I absolutely hated the fact I had to hack the **** out of my iPhail 3gs just so it could do many things my BB's did naturally.

Android has been a much better experience compared to the ios where blackberry type usage is concerned. It's probably just a custom dictionary mod you're looking for.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't know of anything similar with Android but I also don't see the point of typing "mynumber" instead of typing your number. When would you rather type in the words mynumber instead of your number?

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't know of anything similar with Android but I also don't see the point of typing "mynumber" instead of typing your number. When would you rather type in the words mynumber instead of your number?

it's easier to type 'mynumber' when you are writing an email or text, than to select the number pad on your keyboard, type the number, then re-select the letter keypad (i am using swiftkey so the numbers are on a separate screen....i could long press the top row of letters but that's far more time consuming).

blackberry also seemed smarter about knowing what type of field i was in when entering information on forms. it would automatically switch to the number pad if the field was for telephone or zip. aaaaaand when you were in an email address field, it would insert an '@' and then a '.com' when you hit the space bar. they were brilliant in the details. unfortunately they missed the app boat.

freakshow999

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
On many of the third party keyboards you can add custom dictionaries and settings. Most are also learning keyboards that will add special words you come up with to your dictionary.

I'd try A.I. keyboard it has a lot of customization and functionality.

The problem with the @ sign, .com, etc. has more to do with the api of the program you are inputting to.

If you noticed when you first setup your phone and added a Google account there were single keys for both the @ sign and .com.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
i will check out AI, but i always return to swiftkey after trying others. maybe i can add my number to my custom dictionary there.

i did not notice the @ and .com keys when i set up my phone. i do occasionally see them pop up when i am entering information. but it doesnt seem as consistent as was on my BB. must be this api you refer to (i am not technologically literate).

thanks for the help!!

freakshow999

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Application Programing Interface. ;-)

Gotta remember you've got thousands of people making apps and interfaces for android compared to the hundred developers for BB. Lol

Good luck on your mission.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
This functionality has an apple patent and was removed by Google awhile ago. It used to be that also you could just type your or another name into a messaging field (as long as it is in your contacts) and the corresponding number would appear. You could also just tap that number and place a call to that number.

This was one of those patents that was in limbo in court along with the rubber banding effect and got upheld.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch