HTC One help

Tara Avalon

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Ok, this is a long one,

Last week, for unrelated reasons, my boyfriend deleted every single photo on his HTC One phone, there were at least 2000 photos and maybe 30 videos on the phone, saved to both the phone's internal memory and the micro sd/ sim card.

So now we want the photos back, we found a program called "photorecoverypro", and installed it, connected his phone to the computer and then when the program did a scan to find his phone it couldn't find it, and when I opened up my computer the phone shows up under portable devices as HTC_PNO71 and also under devices with removable storage as "CD rom (F:)", so we tried scanning it again on the recovery program and click on (F:) drive, and it said "please insert a disk into (F:) drive, so then we googled "my HTC One phone is showing up as a CD rom drive", and it led us to a website instructing us to disable the CD rom (F:) drive so we did that and it didn't fix anything, we then tried a bunch of different photo recovery programs: stellar phoenix, remo recover for android and asoftech and the same thing happened, none of them could find his phone.

Then I found a youtube video telling us to go onto google playstore and download diskdigger, so I did and when I opened diskdigger it came up with a little box that said "looking for readable memory devices", then "failed to get superuser privileges, are you sure your device is rooted?", and then "no readable memory devices found".

So I went online and looked up how to root his phone and I followed the instructions on this website How to Install TWRP Recovery for the HTC One, I opened up bootloader on his phone, connected it, downloaded a few things, opened up command prompt, wrote down what it told me, I saved the correct folders and followed everything exactly the way it told me, it sent a code to my email and so on.. and finally it came up on his phone, asked me if I was certain I wanted to do this and I selected yes, so everything was done, phone rooted, etc..

And then the phone turned on, all messages and contacts deleted as warned, time was reset, so I re-installed diskdigger and it still came up with the same thing... it's like it didn't work.

I have spent near 7 hours doing this and all I've achieved is losing all my boyfriends contacts and messages..

What can I do? Please dear god somebody help me!! :(

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok, this is a long one,

Last week, for unrelated reasons, my boyfriend deleted every single photo on his HTC One phone, there were at least 2000 photos and maybe 30 videos on the phone, saved to both the phone's internal memory and the micro sd/ sim card.

So now we want the photos back, we found a program called "photorecoverypro", and installed it, connected his phone to the computer and then when the program did a scan to find his phone it couldn't find it, and when I opened up my computer the phone shows up under portable devices as HTC_PNO71 and also under devices with removable storage as "CD rom (F:)", so we tried scanning it again on the recovery program and click on (F:) drive, and it said "please insert a disk into (F:) drive, so then we googled "my HTC One phone is showing up as a CD rom drive", and it led us to a website instructing us to disable the CD rom (F:) drive so we did that and it didn't fix anything, we then tried a bunch of different photo recovery programs: stellar phoenix, remo recover for android and asoftech and the same thing happened, none of them could find his phone.

Then I found a youtube video telling us to go onto google playstore and download diskdigger, so I did and when I opened diskdigger it came up with a little box that said "looking for readable memory devices", then "failed to get superuser privileges, are you sure your device is rooted?", and then "no readable memory devices found".

So I went online and looked up how to root his phone and I followed the instructions on this website How to Install TWRP Recovery for the HTC One, I opened up bootloader on his phone, connected it, downloaded a few things, opened up command prompt, wrote down what it told me, I saved the correct folders and followed everything exactly the way it told me, it sent a code to my email and so on.. and finally it came up on his phone, asked me if I was certain I wanted to do this and I selected yes, so everything was done, phone rooted, etc..

And then the phone turned on, all messages and contacts deleted as warned, time was reset, so I re-installed diskdigger and it still came up with the same thing... it's like it didn't work.

I have spent near 7 hours doing this and all I've achieved is losing all my boyfriends contacts and messages..

What can I do? Please dear god somebody help me!! :(
Do you know if Super User (SU) was installed? There should be an app in the app drawer that says SU. If not, download one from the Play Store and install it. Then, go to the system settings > applications > diskdigger and clear data/cache for this app. Re-open it then it should ask you to accept the SU privileges to get the app working.

My thoughts are that the images are forever gone and you won't be able to retrieve any. In the future, keep a backup (if possible) or allow the images to automatically sync to an online serviced, such as Google+ or Dropbox.

Tara Avalon

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I did that.. still not working, my boyfriend swears the photos are in there somewhere, he explained to me that when you delete a photo you don't actually fully delete it you just tick a little imaginary box that says to the phone "you can write over this", and we haven't taken a single photo since they were deleted.. so they should still be in there :(

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
i don't know much about androids. i am new to them. but rooting the phone sounds like a bad idea. i only wanted to +1 what srkmagnus said about backing up to dropbox, google drive et al.

also there is an app called ES file explorer that might help you find things:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en&token=0ycidb4W

good luck

Rooting is NOT a bad idea, and likely the only chance that she has of getting the pics back. But, frankly, flash memory is extremely Hard to recover deleted files from. Sorry.

Posted via Android Central App

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure you're rooted? Do you have the app called superuser installed?

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Rooting is NOT a bad idea, and likely the only chance that she has of getting the pics back. But, frankly, flash memory is extremely Hard to recover deleted files from. Sorry.

Posted via Android Central App

i did preface that statement with 'don't know much about androids...' but you're right...shouldn't have said anything.
and i am frightened to learn that deleted pics aren't really deleted. where is the security in that??