[Solved] HTC One - Textra Issue: same contact pic comes up when creating msg

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Just recently, Textra seems to be acting all screwy on me and I can't find anything messed up in the settings anywhere and I've cleared/uninstalled/reinstalled the app to no avail.

What's happening is that every time I create a brand new text message, the same contact picture shows up in it. Simply clicking the icon to create a new blank message brings up the new box with this contact pic in it. I can't remove it, and it isn't actually set as the person I'm sending to, but if I touch the picture it puts a checkmark in the bottom corner of the pic and then adds that person to the 'To' field. It's really odd.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to reset or check?

Here's what I'm seeing:

Attachments

• Screenshot2.png
    Screenshot2.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Just an FYI in case anyone else ever finds this function in the way....

I did get a reply from the Textra Help email explaining...

It's a feature, it's all your favs. Define them in the Google People / Contacts app.
Makes it quicker to compose new messages to favs.

When I checked the contact in my Google account, because I had put that contact in my Favorites in the dialer, it had been assigned a group called "starred in Android" and this put that contact picture up there as a "quick" way to add that account to the send box. Ugh. Unchecked that box but it didn't fix it. I actually had to remove the contact from the Favorites in the dialer to get rid of it in Textra. What a crappy feature (to me). Was so confusing that it was driving me nuts. The guy from Textra didn't understand why I didn't like it, but as I told him - most contacts that I want in my dialer's favorites I never ever text. I don't want them to be in the this texting quick-send 'feature'. Plus it simply takes away from the whole experience for me.

I confirmed with the guy from Textra that there is no workaround for this "feature". I was a bit shocked when he told me that if I "didn't like it - uninstall it". I hope they add a quick fix to this to simply be able to turn off the function.

So if anyone else encounters this and doesn't know why... now you know. :)

Last edited:

EVL44

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks very much for your solution as it had been annoying me for a while too. I found that by clicking off the coloured "favourites" star against all the contacts which I had made favourite, it removed them from that category but left them in the main contact list. Nice empty space now when I start a Textra sms. :D