4G vs E Reception

KurtTX

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Question...I have the Vivid and normally get 4G and/or LTE service. I'm sitting in a conference, my phone is showing "E" for service (I think that's Extended). I have AT&T. The coworker next to me has AT&T on an iPhone and has 4G service. Why is that? Is the difference in the quality of the antenna in the two phones? I was sitting inside a large hall at this trade show. Now back in my room, I get 4G service. So obviously there's 4G service up here, but the phone must not be able to get it due to a lower capability phone/antenna. Anything else?

Thanks...Kurt

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Sort of Obvious but make sure you have 4g toggled

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Well, for the correct answer, the HTC Vivid does not have stock control over E/4G/LTE, which is partially to blame for the bad battery life. It automatically changes itself to the strongest reception. And to answer you KurtTX, the iPhone and the HTC Vivid, do indeed have slightly differently powered attenas, which also control the strength/range of the reception it could reach. So, it's just a difference of attena, and also for future reference, the HTC Vivid only recognizes 3 types of coverage signals: E, which stands for Edge (Edge is basically 2.5G, faster data speed than 2G, but still not able to surf and talk simultaniously.), 4G (Faster than 3G by 3x) and 4G LTE (which is on average, 10x times faster than 3G.)