vivid froze on white htc screen

sjs87

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Nope. Won't help. You need to have HTC Drivers installed for your PC to detect your phone, you only have Android drivers installed I am assuming. Being the nice guy I am, I'm gonna provide you a direct link on where to download the Drivers, from my Dropbox. Install this, open the RUU (Don't run it yet.) From this point, boot into the HBOOT Menu on your phone (Volume Down + Power when phone off) and then when it boots into the HBOOT menu, using your volume and power buttons, select FASTBOOT. Confirm you're there by noticing a banner that says "FASTBOOT". From there, connect your phone. If the banner now says "FASTBOOT USB", your PC recognizes your device. Now, follow the instructions of the RUU and good luck. Let me know if I helped. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ayk1y2duwmzhsm1/HTCDriver.exe

Hey, just wanted to show some thanks to you sir. My cousin's vivid all of a sudden got stuck on the white HTC screen also and he thought all was lost. This procedure worked like a charm to restore his vivid. In his case, the issue arrose 2 days after he got the sim unlocked so it can be used on another carrier. No other changes other than that. (stock recovery, no root, s-on, etc) I'm familiar with modding the galaxy line of phones and prior to this, only had experience with my old inspire so I was a little worried I might not be able to recover it. But once again, thanks for sharing this piece of knowlege.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey, just wanted to show some thanks to you sir. My cousin's vivid all of a sudden got stuck on the white HTC screen also and he thought all was lost. This procedure worked like a charm to restore his vivid. In his case, the issue arrose 2 days after he got the sim unlocked so it can be used on another carrier. No other changes other than that. (stock recovery, no root, s-on, etc) I'm familiar with modding the galaxy line of phones and prior to this, only had experience with my old inspire so I was a little worried I might not be able to recover it. But once again, thanks for sharing this piece of knowlege.

Hey, anything for a fellow Android user. :D I'm the same way, but opposite of you. I no nothing about "Download Mode" and this and that on the Samsung line, but one day, I will be posting in the Samsung forums as a fairly good tech, but a total noob when it comes to modding a Samsung device.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

mrscritter1

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
ok so i downloaded the driver i got my phone to say fastboot usb but now what do i do?? when i click on the driver it doesnt do anything im so lost! lol please help me!! :'(

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
ok so i downloaded the driver i got my phone to say fastboot usb but now what do i do?? when i click on the driver it doesnt do anything im so lost! lol please help me!! :'(

That's perfect! Now, run the RUU and enjoy!

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

gilhespy

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: vivid froze on white htc screen (HELP)

My frozen white screen seems a bit more complicated. After I bought a smart tv, my phone suddenly asked for a password (which I have never used). I tried to do a factory reset, but it didn't take. Then I tried a few things in the different menus and still nothing. I tried flashing a different ROM (it was rooted) and got it on so I was hopeful, but, D'OHHHH ! Same problem when it came time to boot. I read this post and tried the RUU thing, but still no luck. I've spent about 16 hrs now and I NEED HELP PLEASE...

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

My frozen white screen seems a bit more complicated. After I bought a smart tv, my phone suddenly asked for a password (which I have never used). I tried to do a factory reset, but it didn't take. Then I tried a few things in the different menus and still nothing. I tried flashing a different ROM (it was rooted) and got it on so I was hopeful, but, D'OHHHH ! Same problem when it came time to boot. I read this post and tried the RUU thing, but still no luck. I've spent about 16 hrs now and I NEED HELP PLEASE...

Can you get into the HBOOT menu?

Sent from my HTC Vivid BoRKed using Android Central Forums

gilhespy

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site

yes, i can get to hboot menu.

fastboot
recovery
factory reset
clear storage
image crc

i'll try running the ruu that you posted. i think i tried it a few times already tho.no luck. it says "SECURITY FAIL, UPDATE FAIL"

Last edited:

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

yes, i can get to hboot menu.

fastboot
recovery
factory reset
clear storage
image crc

i'll try running the ruu that you posted. i think i tried it a few times already tho.no luck. it says "SECURITY FAIL, UPDATE FAIL"

Is your phone locked (***LOCKED***) or unlocked (***UNLOCKED***)?

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

That's why. It needs to be relocked (***RELOCKED***).

If I remember correctly, the command to relock the bootloader was:

fastboot oem lock

gilhespy

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site

OMG, I forget how to get the phone into CMD mode (on computer). Keep getting cannot find specified path.

K, I relocked it. Now try the RUU again ?

Last edited:

gilhespy

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site

Done and done. I gotta tell you I was shopping for phones earlier today. Thanks for your help OperationA7X !