HTC Vivid Stuck in Safe Mode

Jared Jones1

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I took it into my local parrot AT&T provider, they tried the holding power and menu "override" nothing happens. And another thing is when the phone is in Safe Mode it doesn't turn off half the time, I'll hold the power button and the AT&T will vanish in the upper left corner and it will just shut the screen off and go to unlock screen with my pattern.

Any Suggestions?

Jared Jones1

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Now my phone won't even boot into Safe Mode, it just is at the
***Locked***
Holiday PVT Ship S-On RL
HBOOT-1.85.0025
Microp-0360
eMMC-boot
Mar 1 2012, 17:09:49

HBoot (Blue Background White Letters)

VolUp (previous item)
VolDown (next item)
Power (select)

Fastboot
Recovery
Factory Reset
Simlock
Image CRC

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
There are three things you can try.

#1: Power off the phone. As soon as you see the HTC logo, hold down the Volume Down button and keep holding it down until the Vivid vibrates twice, one short and one long vibration. If successful, uninstall the most recent app that could be causing booting issues due to being a malicious and/or incompatible application.

#2: Select RECOVERY, wait for the red triangle, then press and hold down Volume Up then press the Power button, select Clear /cache or whatever, and reboot the device. If all goes well, you're good to go. If not, see #3.

#3: This is if all else has failed. This will set your phone back to the "out-of-the-box" setting (factory reset). It does not wipe your Internal or External memory.* But you lose contacts, apps, and settings. First, download and install the HTC Drivers, located here: http://db.tt/Pi0WLxUf. Then, download this HTC Vivid RUU (ROM Update Utility) from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1564776. The RUU is in the first post. Once you have done all of the above, place your Vivid in Fastboot mode by making sure the phone is off, then holding down Volume Down and Power as you boot up the phone. You should see either ***LOCKED***, ***UNLOCKED***, or ***RELOCKED***. From that menu, select FASTBOOT. After you clicked on it, connect your phone to your PC via the USB cable. After a few moments, you should see FASTBOOT USB inside a red banner. If you do, continue. If not, retry installing drivers or wait for the drivers to set themselves up. Once done with all of that, open and run the RUU. Follow the on-screen instructions and in about 10 minutes, your phone should be up and running!

*If I remember correctly when I did it, it didn't erase anything. But I am not liable if it does erase something. So just in case, make a backup of your stuff.

Sent from my HTC Vivid Borked using Android Central Forums

Jared Jones1

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Well I went ahead and did the reset from HTC dev. You know with the token and then flashing, etc... I had them root it too, to see if that could maybe bybass safe mode coding wise... didn't work. At least I get the bare essentials. Text, emial, and calls. So I'll try your ways too now, but the rooting did get it to at least boot into safe mode all the time now no more locked bootloader.

Jared Jones1

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Wow nvm, guess after I ran the rooting all I needed to be was reboot my system "restart" to end the Safe Mode loop. Thanks for all the help though you guys are a lifesavers!

larochee954

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
My vivid was charging last night and all of a sudden the power/lock button stopped working and i cant push it down. I took my battery out and put it back in so now it wont even turn on. What should i do?

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
My vivid was charging last night and all of a sudden the power/lock button stopped working and i cant push it down. I took my battery out and put it back in so now it wont even turn on. What should i do?

Sounds like it's a physical issue, mine had a similar issue. I had to disassemble my phone, which I don't recommend unless you mind voiding your warranty and know what you're doing.

Sent from my HTC Vivid BoRKed using Android Central Forums

zen lasala

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi can someone help me i have same problem as Jared Jones1 but my phone is Htc explorer can you help me i cant turn on my phone it just stop on htc logo and restart again.

taz2it

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
#3: This is if all else has failed. This will set your phone back to the "out-of-the-box" setting (factory reset). It does not wipe your Internal or External memory.* But you lose contacts, apps, and settings. First, download and install the HTC Drivers, located here: http://db.tt/Pi0WLxUf. Then, download this HTC Vivid RUU (ROM Update Utility) from here: Official AT&T Vivid ICS RUU from HTC - xda-developers. The RUU is in the first post. Once you have done all of the above, place your Vivid in Fastboot mode by making sure the phone is off, then holding down Volume Down and Power as you boot up the phone. You should see either ***LOCKED***, ***UNLOCKED***, or ***RELOCKED***. From that menu, select FASTBOOT. After you clicked on it, connect your phone to your PC via the USB cable. After a few moments, you should see FASTBOOT USB inside a red banner. If you do, continue. If not, retry installing drivers or wait for the drivers to set themselves up. Once done with all of that, open and run the RUU. Follow the on-screen instructions and in about 10 minutes, your phone should be up and running!

Thank you for this list. I had gone with option #1 from another forum. Did option 2 and no go, so Had to go with the full ROM reload of Option#3. Did lose everything, apps and contact. But all them were on my gmail, facebook and outlook account, so once I added them I have all my contacts back. And all my pictures and music on my SD card was still there. Thank you.

gabbyalex

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
hey, i tried the fastboot and after it tried to verify the phone it said error 170 usb connection error. What do I do? P.S.- I'm also not familiar with the tech lingo, but made it this far. I've always had problems with my vivid chargers and usbs, but this one is a good one. Please help :)

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
hey, i tried the fastboot and after it tried to verify the phone it said error 170 usb connection error. What do I do? P.S.- I'm also not familiar with the tech lingo, but made it this far. I've always had problems with my vivid chargers and usbs, but this one is a good one. Please help :)

It's best if you plug in the USB cable into the back of your PC. Did you do this?

gabbyalex

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I plugged the usb in the back and it verified my phone. I clicked update and next, and it said it would take 10 minutes. Then, a box popped up saying error 156, the rom utility wasn't right. I hate to bother you again, but what have I done wrong and what do I do now? Really appreciate your help so far. Thx

gabbyalex

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I just tried to update again. It said (the phone's) current image version was: 3.26.502.56
And that I was updating to version: (blank space)

So idk what all of that means. 3.26.502.56 is the ruu I downloaded, so does that mean that it's already up to date? It also said image error, so I thought maybe it's not the right ruu or something. Anyway, there's no hurry but would love some input cause my mind is blank. Just like my phone. lol

gabbyalex

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Heyyy, so I figured out the problem. It was the RUU. I went to htc, and found the right download:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...2Fuserguide%2Fhtc-vivid-att%2F&token=ZsVZYgKM

It's called HTC Vivid™ for AT&T ROM Update | 03.22.2012 | 3.26.502.56_R23_US.exe

This RUU worked and all the glitches I had before the fastboot are fixed. Including the screen being stuck on the HTC white screen. Gosh, this is great! And I hope it stays that way. Thanks for your help and the tip about the usb cord! If I have any problems I'll come back to this forum :)

Last edited by a moderator:

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Happy to help, although the one I linked thought it was correct. It's the go-to one for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress