Is Geek Squad Insurance Worth it for the Mate 9

Dimas de Leon

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I just purchased Geek Squad insurance for the Mate 9.

My main concern with the Mate 9 is because it's not a very well known brand yet here in the US, not sure how easy or hard it will be to get it serviced if the screen breaks or something else goes wrong.

The insurance cost me $149 and I will pay $149 for each claim I submit. I still have time to get a full refund if I change my mind.

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
a good drop protection case with a tempered screen protector and just being careful with it is all the insurance you will need. Total cost - about $20.

jeepentj

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
So for just about $300 dollars (the $149 upfront charge and the $149 deductible) you can replace a $600 phone - assuming your problem is a total loss? Doesn't sound like too good of a deal to me. I'd just spend $20 for a good screen protector and case and be cautious (as mentioned above).

mxmarcus

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't remember the last time I got insurance on my phone. But it depends on how you care for your phone. Screen protector + heavy duty case can go a long way

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Ouch! That is ridiculously expensive insurance on this phone! Jeepentj makes the point - that's $300 to repair a $600 phone that will quickly be worth less than that.

I bought a SquareTrade plan using one of their frequent discount offers for $66 for one year. There is a $99 fee if I make a claim. It doesn't cover loss or theft but I doubt the Geek Squad does either. I think the regular price for a SquareTrade one year plan is $89.

I never get more than a year because I know if I break my phone after a year... oops! Have to get a new phone! :)

I just dug one of their emails out of my trash. Use code "FEB20" to get 20% off this week.

Dimas de Leon

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
So you guys convinced me, I will cancel my insurance with Bestbuy.. might take a look at the Square Trade with the 20% discount... just received my UAG case and the phone looks pretty bad***, now to find a good tempered glass.

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
So you guys convinced me, I will cancel my insurance with Bestbuy.. might take a look at the Square Trade with the 20% discount... just received my UAG case and the phone looks pretty bad***, now to find a good tempered glass.

Perfect Case! I haven't made the purchase for my Mate 9 yet, but I can say that that case saved my old iphone 6s plus from a fall off a golf cart roof onto the concrete cart path once. No damage to the phone whatsoever. I am currently rocking the Ringke Fushion case that does offer drop protection, but UAG is definitly on my to buy case soon.

I am still trying to find a good tempered glass screen. Have 2 in mind from what reviewers have been reviewing.

TeknoBlast

May 20, 2016
Visit site
I purchase SquareTrade the same week I purchased my Mate. I'm hoping that I wont need to make a claim, but at least I have it just in case.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone used square trade? What's the turnaround? How has the process been? Geek squad seems cheaper than carrier insurance and I think you can walk in and out with a new phone. I didn't buy it but they said if something is wrong with your phone you could get a different phone. That may be worth it 12 or 18 months down the line. I may have been told bad information though.

samsungnian

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The thing with the SquareTrade, it's a type of allowance sort of speak. At least, for the laptop. Say, you bought $500 coverage. If you made a claim that cost $300, then you have $200 left for the next claim. I am not sure if the mobile device will be the same? The claim/repair was quick and satisfied for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty