root only, no rom ?

micko

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Can I root, not get a new rom keep the existing ui and sense and remove bloatware & get Wifi tether?
Thanks
Micko.

Blauman

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Although once you see all the nice ROM's out there you will start wanting to flash ROM's. For me it has become somewhat of an obsession to flash new ROM's. I usually keep a ROM for a month or 2 at most and start looking at other ones to try out. It keeps things feeling fresh and new and plus I like to tinker.

Reactions: micko

Jessicalt1

Lover of all things Andi
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You don't HAVE to put a new ROM on there, but I highly recommend it. I love all the options that are out there, above and beyond stock. I like Sense 3.5 and with ROMs, I can upgrade to it instead of staying on 2.1. It gives you more options.

Reactions: micko

Blauman

May 23, 2011
Visit site
If you are looking for a Sense based ROM the ones by the Virtuous Team are hard to beat. Just note that there are little tweaks that may need to be done to almost all ROMS to get them working 100% the way you want. I find, for me anyway, that the biggest issue with most of them over stock is low ear piece and speaker volume. In the case of say CM7 you can just flash a new Kernel and all is good. And some ROMS I have found also can run into issues with SMS/MMS sending and receiving, in which case you may need to search around for some APNS to download. And one more thing, with ALL non Sense based ROMS the soft keys do not rotate when the phone is rotated.