Will I NEED a screen protector?

Aatrek

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm picking up the Incredible as my first touchscreen phone, but I've read conflicting "advice" in regards to getting a screen protector. One hand hand, it is supposed to reduce scratches, smudges, etc.; on the other, I'm told it will reduce the touchscreen sensitivity.

What's the real deal here?

wavechaser

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Honestly i'm going without a screen protector. I keep my phone in a dedicated pocket of my jeans by itself with the screen facing my leg. I also pay $7.00 a month insurance on the phone, so when and if the time comes where it starts getting badly scratched, I'll just get it replaced.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
it's really personal preference. most glass touch screens are fairly resistant to scratches. provided you don't keep the phone in a bag of sandpaper, it won't easily get scratched.

personally, i don't like them because i can never get them on right, and they change the feel (they don't feel as slick as glass to me)

wavechaser

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
it's really personal preference. most glass touch screens are fairly resistant to scratches. provided you don't keep the phone in a bag of sandpaper, it won't easily get scratched.

personally, i don't like them because i can never get them on right, and they change the feel (they don't feel as slick as glass to me)

I have the same problem. Every single time I will sit there for like 10 minutes lining the damn thing up, and finally i'll get it on right!!! Oh wait, there's a tiny little hair stuck between the protector and the screen... fanfriggintastic... Not dealing with that anymore.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
That's exactly how I feel. I hate screen protectors. I'd rather risk a light scratch than deal with small pieces of dust, bubbles and imperfect alignment that always happens when putting those things on.

Limjelo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Agree with all of you. My Storm screen has been bare for over a year and there isn't a single scratch on it. As long as you take good care of your $200-$500 purchases, you should be OK. If you play in a sandbox all day, don't be surprised if/when your screen starts to look like a truck stop bathroom mirror.

R

Roy Aguilera

Wonder if an antiglare screen protector would help the screen in bright daylight.
I have one on my Ipod Touch and it works great.
Don't really care about not scratching the screen as much as visibility outdoors.

facedown41

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
i used to have a screen protector on my lg dare but i got sick of having the bubbles and dust get trapped...its not worth it in my opinion. i've had it for 2 years now and it only just started to get scratched.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Wonder if an antiglare screen protector would help the screen in bright daylight.
I have one on my Ipod Touch and it works great.
Don't really care about not scratching the screen as much as visibility outdoors.

it's less of a glare issue and more of an AMOLED "feature" :p

but yes, putting it on max brightness will help a lot

NVR2ND

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Honestly i'm going without a screen protector. I keep my phone in a dedicated pocket of my jeans by itself with the screen facing my leg. I also pay $7.00 a month insurance on the phone, so when and if the time comes where it starts getting badly scratched, I'll just get it replaced.

Best advice I give people when they buy a touch screen phone, or other open face device.

The "bad" thing about using insurance for a scratched screen is that you are going to get a "like new" device, and it will be an $89 deduct.

Last dont pay for the extra 1.99 insurance. The 6 insurance covers everything that the 8 does. If you do happen to need the software part of the TEC then just throw the phone on the ground and you can use the basic insurance. ;) I know it is 2 bucks a month, but I have been with VZW for 6 years that is 150 bucks Ive saved.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
You also have to consider the deductible you'd be paying when you could've gotten a free phone if you had the extended warranty for manufacturers defects. Granted I doubt many people keep their phone for more than a year so it's a waste if you don't keep it the full 2 years.

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Im very careful about my phones and other expensive electronics. I have had the VZW protector on my DROID since day one. For me its really never an issue to get them on as much as they are not cut to fit the screen as well as the should be.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
I thought Phil said putting the screen on full bright made it "disappear" outside. What!?!? I'm confused. lol

i was confused as well, but logically, a higher backlight will make screens easier to read outside. this works for my zuneHD which also uses an AMOLED screen.

i have a feeling he meant the problem dissapeared and not the image...