Is the Low on Space data/data issue HTC Incredible specific?

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if other HTC phones have the dreaded 'low on space' issue with the (data/data partition filling up to 150mb) or is this issue specific to the Droid Incredible?

I've rooted to get help get rid of it, and I've loaded Tiny's EXT4All to get rid of the data/data partition altogether, but it limits the amount of apps I can download, since the ROM's itself takes up a hefty portion of the data memory and I hate having to have to watch out for the phone getting too loaded so much.

I'm just curious if this happens with any other Android phone. I'm eligible for early upgrade and thinking about the Rezound (if it gets good reviews by testers), but if this is a problem inherent to HTC phones, I may think about going off to a new brand for my next phone...

bldmovs

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm not getting it on my Thunderbolt, but I'll be the next in line to switch from HTC. I have too many issues with sense which stinks because I like it.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

BBEgo

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
There are a few different versions of EXT4 all. One addresses the space issue. I can't say I've had the problem myself. With or without root or EXT4, it's just never been an issue for me. You must have an insane amount of apps on your phone. Is that even what causes it?

spach1975

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
My understanding on the whole topic is

• The /data/data size limit of 150M exists on all Android phones
  • For some reason, the Droid Incredible seems to run into this problem more than other phones. I've heard its because that version of HTC Sense stores a lot of data. However, my top Apps that use the /data/data partition on my Dinc are Contacts Storage (10M), Music (Google), Gmail, Mail, HTC Sense (4M), and Facebook. I used Quick App Manager to find that data.
  • Honeycomb and Ice Cream Sandwich partition the space differently. As a result, there is no longer a limit on /data/data. Android Honeycomb's new memory system -- will we see it on phones? - android-discuss.

This problem has drove me nuts the last 6 months on the Dinc. I'm looking to switch to the Galaxy Nexus for that reason. Although, I'm debating that a bit due to the lack of micro SD slot. I store a lot of music, video, etc and don't like to feel like I'm limited.

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My understanding on the whole topic is

• The /data/data size limit of 150M exists on all Android phones
  • For some reason, the Droid Incredible seems to run into this problem more than other phones. I've heard its because that version of HTC Sense stores a lot of data. However, my top Apps that use the /data/data partition on my Dinc are Contacts Storage (10M), Music (Google), Gmail, Mail, HTC Sense (4M), and Facebook. I used Quick App Manager to find that data.
  • Honeycomb and Ice Cream Sandwich partition the space differently. As a result, there is no longer a limit on /data/data. Android Honeycomb's new memory system -- will we see it on phones? - android-discuss.

This problem has drove me nuts the last 6 months on the Dinc. I'm looking to switch to the Galaxy Nexus for that reason. Although, I'm debating that a bit due to the lack of micro SD slot. I store a lot of music, video, etc and don't like to feel like I'm limited.

I don't recall seeing other HTC phone owners talking about low memory issues, so I'm hoping no other HTC has this mess as it's very annoying. My mail and contacts take up a ton of space, which is more of the problem i've had than the # of apps (Touchdown at 33mb, Contacts storage at 25mb), plus the fact those are 2 primary progams I'd rather not try to transfer to the SD card. Most all of my apps have been moved to the SD card.

I like HTC and sense (when it doesn't slow down the phone) and would like to think a high end phone like the Rezound wouldn't have the low on space issues. I'm gonna sit back and wait for professional reviews and customer reviews before I even consider making a phone switch...

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if other HTC phones have the dreaded 'low on space' issue with the (data/data partition filling up to 150mb) or is this issue specific to the Droid Incredible?

I've rooted to get help get rid of it, and I've loaded Tiny's EXT4All to get rid of the data/data partition altogether, but it limits the amount of apps I can download, since the ROM's itself takes up a hefty portion of the data memory and I hate having to have to watch out for the phone getting too loaded so much.

I'm just curious if this happens with any other Android phone. I'm eligible for early upgrade and thinking about the Rezound (if it gets good reviews by testers), but if this is a problem inherent to HTC phones, I may think about going off to a new brand for my next phone...

It is not Incredible specific - I've seen it happen on phones made by every manufacturer, but it does seem to happen more on Sense phones. But on any phone, it's a very simple fix - go into Manage Apps and find out which ones have the most data saved in them and clear the data. FB and email are usual culprits for caching more data than they should.

JimHatesBugs

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
It's NOT a simple problem and to say so is naive.

Many very sophisticated and experienced users have wasted countless hours with the Droid HTC Incredible Low Space bugs. It's so bad, all you have to do is google on "HTC i" and it is the fifth choice down.

HTC is unable to fix it.

I have fixed it with a hard reset and managed to get OS updates, but after a couple of months, the problem returns.

The memory page that HTC presents to indicate the problem actually shows there is no problem whatsoever.

I will never get anything from HTC ever again. Neither will many other people.

Read more before you post a statement like that.

Simple. Simpleton.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
It's NOT a simple problem and to say so is naive.

Many very sophisticated and experienced users have wasted countless hours with the Droid HTC Incredible Low Space bugs. It's so bad, all you have to do is google on "HTC i" and it is the fifth choice down.

HTC is unable to fix it.

I have fixed it with a hard reset and managed to get OS updates, but after a couple of months, the problem returns.

The memory page that HTC presents to indicate the problem actually shows there is no problem whatsoever.

I will never get anything from HTC ever again. Neither will many other people.

Read more before you post a statement like that.

Simple. Simpleton.

One of the things you will also find in a Google search is that Name Calling never fixed a Low Space issue.

I believe what you meant to say was that it's not always a simple issue to track down and you are correct. However, clearing data in the most notorious data hogging apps like Facebook is in fact the first place to start.

The version of Sense we have is not as data efficient as it should be, and the bloatware put on by VZW does not help in the least. Unfortunately moving apps to the SD card and keeping your SMS and email storage trimmed down is how most alleviate the problem.

Sorry your experience with your DInc was not a pleasant one. Hopefully you next phone will meet your expectations.

Reactions: Funkpod

Brown_Eyes85

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a HTC, and yes I run into the same problem. I always have to go to manage apps and clear data before I can update any of my apps. Yet alone when my phone is due for an update! Is it annoying, yes! I like some of the features that my HTC has, but I'm also due for an upgrade so I looking around. Have been trying to find phone savvy people to help me find phones to compare, so I make a good decision! As I am not so savvy with phones lol! I know the basics and love learning more about phones. Just don't have the time or patients to be able to read for hours about them, being I have a 3 yrs old that gets my full undivided attention... HTC EVO 4g

JimHatesBugs

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
One of the things you will also find in a Google search is that Name Calling never fixed a Low Space issue.

I believe what you meant to say was that it's not always a simple issue to track down and you are correct. However, clearing data in the most notorious data hogging apps like Facebook is in fact the first place to start.

The version of Sense we have is not as data efficient as it should be, and the bloatware put on by VZW does not help in the least. Unfortunately moving apps to the SD card and keeping your SMS and email storage trimmed down is how most alleviate the problem.

Sorry your experience with your DInc was not a pleasant one. Hopefully you next phone will meet your expectations.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I meant what I said and I said what I meant.

I don't know who you think you represent. Go ahead and try to lecture me.

It would be better if you did more research. This problem goes back to 2009 and hasn't been fixed. It's far more complicated than simply blowing out some VZW apps, facebook, etc. If you spend 20 or 30 hours reading about this like I have, and another 20 hours doing all manner of things and rebooting your phone, you might have a reason to be in this thread. Go into diagnostic modes, even. I know more about the phone than you do.

It's not fixed. It's not going to get fixed. It's shameful on the part of HTC. Read. Don't post.

My expectations are far exceeded in everything except one thing. I expect the phone to work. It does not.

Since you don't like my style, here is something from someone who stated it better than I can do:

Re: Low Phone Disk Space/Memory - DROID INCREDIBLE by HTC (Verizon) - Android Forums - HTC Community

Posted by Matrixesque
on 1 Dec 2011 8:30 AM

Well, I just wanted to pitch in that I've had the same problem for the better part of this year. In that time I've factory reset my HTC Incredible twice, gone through a Gingerbread update (which killed any text, email, or app syncing when an out-of-memory error would occur--missed a lot of notifications due to that) switched to Handcent and Gmail exclusively for text/email clients, and learned to aggressively manage my application cache memory. These days, I now have to regularly clear my apps caches every few days to scrounge every little bit of memory, despite having plenty of space both on the SD card and internal memory. This is a whole lot of fun since then I need to regularly sign-in to all of my accounts.

The post where the HTC rep said that Android limits application data to 50-100MB or something is complete bunk. No application on my phone ever takes up more than 20MB or so, if HTC's Application settings are to believed. Perhaps that's true behind the scenes, but I don't have any control over it.

Despite the over-enthusiastic response of some forum posters, there isn't a single silver-bullet fix to this problem other than constant vigilance and conservative app usage. Everyone has different stories about deleting *something* and the error message going away. I can safely say this is only a temporary fix. Too bad we can't check in with them a few days or a week later and see how they're doing. Frankly, if the "solution" is to limit my social media participation, truncate my application history, and delete caches that are used to speed application response time, then I don't want a part of that solution. What's the point of having an expensive smartphone if you can't USE it?

This isn't even some sort of greedy user downloading his laptop's harddrive to his phone and expecting everything to go well. I just want to read the NYTimes, search through my email from the past few days, and perhaps stream Google Music stutter-free when I'm in a waiting room. In none of these cases is the internal storage or the SD card even remotely close to capacity.

Look, I loved the Incredible when it worked. I loved the form factor, the zippiness, the UI, just about everything about it. I bought an aftermarket 3500mAh battery for the little guy and now I never have to worry about plugging my phone in, despite heavy usage. You can't say that about other smartphones--even iPhones. Motorola has sloppy/ugly designs. Samsung was in the same boat until the Galaxy S II. So yeah, I really wanted to return to HTC during my next upgrade cycle.

I can safely say that this debacle has really turned me off to HTC in the future. The purpose of this post is perhaps try to get through to someone at HTC so they can somehow change their management of these problems. There really needs to be either a quicker fix (seems like it's a hardware/OS interaction problem, so not so easy!) or better design in the first place. I'm cynical enough to know they're not going to fix problems unless there's money on the line; well there is: my next phone won't be an HTC phone. I work with technology every day, and while I love projects and tinkering, I don't want my phone to be a project.

Well, thanks for the memories, guys.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Don't have to agree with everything but please keep the name calling out. Name calling won't help anyone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

adriandude85

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok I have found the problem, no this is no bug! It's actaully the Facebook app which is poorly developed. After a while it will cause the low on memory icon to appear. From the apps menu find Facebook and clear all its data, it will require a relog in but it fixes that issue every time! If its not thus app experiment it might be others.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JimHatesBugs

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The author says nothing of the problem, what platform he's talking about, or how he fixed it. This extremely well reported problem has not been fixed by some method of clearing a particular app. This is well documented.

Of course it is a bug.

And, for example, I've never used facebook on my HTC incredible android, and I've made sure not to ever go to it or update it.

thank you for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:

adriandude85

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
It does not seem like a bug to me because Facebook always causes it, for one its not the best app out there. And I am running a stock 2.3.4 system FYI.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Lets try and work out bugs/issues with respect for your fellow members. Remember this is a public discussion forum and we openly discuss and resolve problems as long as everything is done within the forum rules and respect for your fellow members.

Thanks everyone.

Reactions: adriandude85

thedarb

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey folks, for those of you using Touchdown for your corporate Exchange and getting low space warnings, I *think* I've fixed mine. Seems to be working so far.

Get an app that gives you a shell on your phone. For me, I use QuickSSHd, so I can ssh to a shell on my phone, and use my laptop's keyboard. But any of the console apps for your phone should do, if you are patient typing commands on an android keypad.

First, through Manage Apps, stop it's service from running. Then, via the shell:

# cd /datadata/com.nitrodesk.droid20.nitroid
# mkdir /mnt/sdcard/databases
# cp -av databases/* /mnt/sdcard/databases
(You will see permissions errors, they didn't matter.)

# rm databases/*
# rmdir databases
# ln -s /mnt/sdcard/databases databases

Then exit your shell and try opening Touchdown, try a sync, try various things. Worked great for me, and now it's not wasting all my app space. :)

* NOTE: I don't know what side affect this would have on the remote data wipe feature of Touchdown. If you need that feature, then either don't try this, or do your own testing and see if it works. If it does, let us know.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
as far as i'm concerned, the storage problem is fixed w/ the Ext4All Mod. i haven't had the low space problem since i used that mod, and i love adding apps upon apps. i can move apps to sd to increase that storage. yes, eventually, i'll run out of space, but that's true w/ all phones. and i can monitor it more easily, now. good stuff.

Rick Creel

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I got an htc 6300 (verizon originally ...switched it to straight talk) and am constantly running into the app storage space issue. It seems as though between an odd way of partitioning said drive and bloat ware from verizon is genesis of problem. Like the phone and cannot afford another one right now .... any other ideas out there > :cool:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2