rom manager or nandroid?

galaxy01

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
i like to upgrade my froyo to GB rom,
rooted my froyo for a while ago.
i am not sure which one to use and back up rom; rom manger or nandroid?

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
1. ROM Manager is an app that lets you flash things to your phone

2. A "nandroid" is the backup of your entire system that you can do through recovery.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
i like to upgrade my froyo to GB rom,
rooted my froyo for a while ago.
i am not sure which one to use and back up rom; rom manger or nandroid?

ROM manager is handy to download the ROM itself but I wouldn't flash it through ROM manager, rather I would highly recommend you flash it "manually" in recovery. You'll have a lot less problems with bad flashes or bad installs and it's good to know how to do it manually anyway.

Don't flash anything though until you've made a nandroid backup and you know how to restore said backup.

Instructions for all this can be found here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/in...w-root-un-root-rom-your-droid-incredible.html

And here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/in...back-up-what-restore-when-switching-roms.html

mldiroff

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I think you mean should you do the nandroid backup through the 'Backup Current ROM' menu option in Rom Manager or just boot into recovery and do it through CWM?

I've done both and haven't noticed any difference. But I'm now just booting into CWM and doing it through there just because I have had an issue or two with ROM Manager in the past with flashing, etc.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I think you mean should you do the nandroid backup through the 'Backup Current ROM' menu option in Rom Manager or just boot into recovery and do it through CWM?

I've done both and haven't noticed any difference. But I'm now just booting into CWM and doing it through there just because I have had an issue or two with ROM Manager in the past with flashing, etc.

Was that directed to me?

If so you're right...what I meant was, don't use ROM manager for anything but downloading the ROM. Do everything else with CWM.

In fact, I never use ROM manager even to download ROM's, I prefer to just download to my computer (it's a Macbook...don't hate me), and transfer to the SD card with old fashioned USB cable.

mldiroff

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Was that directed to me?

If so you're right...what I meant was, don't use ROM manager for anything but downloading the ROM. Do everything else with CWM.

In fact, I never use ROM manager even to download ROM's, I prefer to just download to my computer (it's a Macbook...don't hate me), and transfer to the SD card with old fashioned USB cable.

Actually, I knew what you meant, I just wanted to make sure I understood the question before I responded, too :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress