Semi-bricked my phone reverting to 2.1... Very sad. :(

xaronax

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys.

i was trying to revert back to 2.1 after stupidly installing 2.2 so that I could use unrevoked forever. I went through the steps laid out here;

[GUIDE] How to downgrade from OTA RUU 2.2 to 2.1 - xda-developers

and here;

How to downgrade and root your DInc from 2.2 |

I had no errors or problems during the whole process, but once I was done and the phone rebooted, it goes directly to the bootloader (3 little skateboarding androids) and nothing else. After many many reboots, and a nice guy from XDA helping me over AIM, I've gotten nowhere.

I don't want to install the update again, because I've heard that flashing the same radio twice will brick the phone.

I'm about to give up and just go to verizon and make them give me a new phone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :(

zeiroe

Nov 7, 2009
www.serpents-guild.com
im thinking its hanging at the HBOOT because its looking for the PB31IMG.zip file ... Make sure you download the correct PB31IMG.zip file. Your second link is to my blog post and I linked a known working file there. The original guide on XDA was taken from the EVO forums and i believe the EVO's HBOOT was looking for PD36IMG.zip file ... If you have the wrong file it will skip the update process and just sit there ... at the skateboarding androids. Hope this helps

xaronax

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I went through the whole process without a hitch. I had a PB31IMG.zip that was referenced in the other guide. In HBOOT, the radio and HBOOT version have been reverted back to stock 2.1 values.

I know the first guide had a lot of EVO stuff in it, but the guy copied and pasted the EVO guide and modified it to work with the incredible.

The radio is now 1.00.03.04.06 and the hboot version is 0.77.0000.

I really don't want to flash them again and brick the phone.

Any other ideas?

zeiroe

Nov 7, 2009
www.serpents-guild.com
The BP31IMG.zip file you have, can you open it and verify that it does have the following files inside?

PB31IMG.png

Last edited:

xaronax

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I went to try to extract it, and windows says it's an invalid file. That could be part of the problem...

Not sure what to do from here. No idea what was in it. I would try to re-download it to see what was supposed to be in it, but I'm over my limit on my terrible satellite internet.

Heading home now. Do you have a link for the correct file that has the right components in it?

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I went to try to extract it, and windows says it's an invalid file. That could be part of the problem...

This is very good news. In all likelihood it explains why your phone hangs in HBOOT.

Can you delete the file? If you already went through the process, you no longer need.

xaronax

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Deleted the file off of the SD card. Still hanging on hboot.

Not sure where to go from here.

I really appreciate you guys help though.

I'll be on the road for a while and then hopefully back on here and AIM.

My AIM is aronax666

If you feel like getting sucked into my vortex of despair. =P

xaronax

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
If I use this on my phone now, which already has the 1.00.03.04.06 radio and the 0.77.0000. hboot, will it brick my phone? Should I re-apply the 2.2 OTA and then go back to this again?

I haven't tried anything yet, re-downloading the file you linked as we speak.

zeiroe

Nov 7, 2009
www.serpents-guild.com
I've heard bad things about reapplying the radio but haven't experienced anything bad myself. I've installed on top of the same radio before. If you feel more comfortable, go ahead and reapply the 2.2 then go through the downgrade process again.

twentysided

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I have read not to re-do the same radio over itself twice or you risk bricking. So, I wouldn't. It is safe to go from an old radio to a new one. Quite frankly, you are nowhere near brick, since you still have access to HBOOT.

It took a lot of patience for me to get mine done, because I ran into issues along the way. Take your time and follow the steps carefully.

Personally, I'd just install the updated radio and then get the leaked stock 2.2 ROM that includes the v2 radio and be done with it. The thread I used is here.

It will leave you S-Off and rooted for the future just in case, and you'll have the comfort in knowing you're running it "stock".

xaronax

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Everything is good now. Apparently the original 2.1 PB31IMG was corrupt and only the hboot and radio flashed properly. I re-downloaded and flashed 2.2 again, then back to 2.1, unrevoked forever, then back to 2.2, then clockwork and then a rooted stock 2.2.

Very happy now.

Thanks for all your help guys. :)