suggestions for a kernel

BBKik

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Sorry guy I have read a few threads on different kernels, but I just rooted this weekend w/unrevoked and have tried a few roms and uncommon sense fits me well with its blend of stock and sense.

Now is changing the kernel re-working the power circuit to gain speed and save power? I am sure that this is a dumb question, but I learn things better hands on than I do from reading.

So any direction and help would be greatly appreciated.

Knightslugger

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
using the below kernel and ROM, i'm getting 2 days to a battery charge doing no more than i used to with VZW's 2.2 stock phone, where i was getting only 10 hours of use.

Reactions: BBKik

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Now is changing the kernel re-working the power circuit to gain speed and save power? I am sure that this is a dumb question, but I learn things better hands on than I do from reading.

Unfortunatly, here is a little more reading for you (but hey it has some pictures too!). Android's kernel is just a modified linux kernel. Hit the link below for a generic definition of a kernel.

Kernel (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reactions: BBKik

dharr18

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
The one thing I have found with Kernels, each batch of DIncs handle the kernels a little differently. Where some people have great success with King #5 kernel, it sends me spiraling and makes the phone jittery.

Another thing I would recommend is SetCPU. This will allow you to further tweek the Kernels settings, like max speed. I found going above 1.15 was the issue with Kings #5, it maxes out at 1.19 if I remember right. Not everyone uses this, some recommend against it, I have found it to stabilize some Kernels that give my phone a headache.

SetCPU Link: SetCPU for Root Users [2.0.3] It's over nine thousand 09/03/2010 - xda-developers

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Loading a kernel is pretty simple.

1.) download kernel
2.) set on root of sd card
3.) reboot into recovery
4.) apply zip from sd card
5.) choose zip from sd card
6.) Select the zip off the root of your sd card
7.) Use volume rocker to select Yes
8.) Watch it install
9.) **this is the trivial spot** some people tell you to wipe davilk after installing, some say it doesn't matter. If you want to wipe davilk cache, its in the "advanced" options of Recovery.
10.) Reboot
11.) If you wiped davilk cache... give it time to load the rom. It can take a long time but will work. It has to create new tree dependicies which was wiped if you wiped cache.

This work? ;)

BBKik

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

1.) download kernel
3.) reboot into recovery
8.) Watch it install
9.) **this is the trivial spot** some people tell you to wipe davilk after installing, some say it doesn't matter. If you want to wipe davilk cache, its in the "advanced" options of Recovery.
10.) Reboot
11.) If you wiped davilk cache... give it time to load the rom. It can take a long time but will work. It has to create new tree dependicies which was wiped if you wiped cache.

This work? ;)

I will give that a shot and thanks for the help, hopefully someday I can return some help of my own.

Thanks again for everyone's help and advice.

:cool:

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
if you download the kernel from your phone you can install it from the sd card with rom manager as well. Just make sure to check the backup and wipe boxes just in case...

douger

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

1.) download kernel
3.) reboot into recovery
8.) Watch it install
10.) Reboot

This work? ;)

I not only do that, but I wipe the battery stats too. Many people look to kernels to help with the Incredible's anemic battery life. It takes two or three charging cycles after doing that for the battery life to settle down.

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Drain your battery to where its about to die (i got down to 1%).... wipe battery stats in recovery...reboot.... charge full.

talltubatom

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
Alright I just followed these steps after DLing the Kernel that BKorver links to in the sig. My DInc will no longer recognize touchscreen inputs. WTF is up with that?

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Alright I just followed these steps after DLing the Kernel that BKorver links to in the sig. My DInc will no longer recognize touchscreen inputs. WTF is up with that?

Are you using SetCPU to overclock? Are you using any profiles in SetCPU?

One of the problems with these kernels is that it will work for some people and not others. They can work on my Incredible but maybe not your Incredible. Thats how picky they are.

In the case with an undervolted kernel is that the kernel will use a percentage less volts to . This in turn is supposed to give you better battery life. Though, on individual devices it can cause a bit of instability due to the lack of volts being used.

In your case, i think that may be the problem. I would try changing kernels. I have had the best of luck using King's kernels.

talltubatom

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
I had the same thing happen to me when I used Kings Kernel earlier tonight. Once I get everything flashed to the device I can no longer use the touch screen I also noticed a bit of screen flicker when using the the firs kernel. Is it worth trying all of the kings kernels or are they just new releases?

talltubatom

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
Will cycling power to the device several times or letting it run for a while help out with this issue? or do I just need to revert to a backup ROM?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez