[GUIDE] How to root, un-root and rom your Droid Incredible.

ASLgeek

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
This may seem a tad ignorant but um will all my old apps still be in place or will I need to get new apps for rooted devices?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
This may seem a tad ignorant but um will all my old apps still be in place or will I need to get new apps for rooted devices?

Rooting will not do anything to your phone except give you superuser access.

If you load a new ROM then you will have to factory reset your device and that will erase everything. You need to backup your data prior to resetting your device.

Apps can be backed up with Titanium and can be re-downloaded from the market. Paid apps are tiesd to your G-mail account and can be re-downloaded with no problem.

Hope this helps.

bovineyard

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Unrevoked forever?

Hey Brett, I just rooted my Dinc with UnrEVOked 3, left it plugged in until it was completely done, and it seems to have set itself to S-off automatically. When I booted into recovery, it stills says "s-off", and Titanium and WiFi tether work fine. Do I still need to run unrevoked forever? Thanks for the help!!!!!

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The newest version of unrevoked 3 turns s-off for you , so dont need to run unrevoked forever.

Older versions of unrevoked tho you had to use unrevoked forever as well to get s-off tho ;)

Droid hungry

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
So help. When trying to install the hboot drivers because im running windows 7, when i right click on the device like the instructions say im not given the option to manually update the driver software. whats going wrong?

Zak8022

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for this guys! I successfully rooted and installed CM7 RC1 last night. Hit a snag when i couldn't find the CM7 zip on the sdcard... apparently ROM Manager buried it somewhere not immediately apparent. Found it in the end (and got my own copy onto my SD card) and all is good!

bovineyard

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I posted this yesterday, but I don't know what happened to it (it disappeared), I am rooted now, and I can't find an straight answer to the following question: When the next OTA comes out (i.e. 2.2.1 or 2.3):
<1> Will the update still be pushed to our phones (Incredible),
<2> If so, will it harm the phone (or un-root it?)
<3> Will we have to un-root to get the update
<4> Is there an easy way or app to permanently stop the nagging when the update comes out

Please also note, I do not want to run a custom Rom, I am happy with my setup now. Thanks

(Moderators, if you move this post, please tell me where, thanks)

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I posted this yesterday, but I don't know what happened to it (it disappeared), I am rooted now, and I can't find an straight answer to the following question: When the next OTA comes out (i.e. 2.2.1 or 2.3):
<4> Is there an easy way or app to permanently stop the nagging when the update comes out

Please also note, I do not want to run a custom Rom, I am happy with my setup now. Thanks

Here are some answers...

These answers are based on you running a stock rooted ROM.

1) Yes you will get the update notification

2) If you have made any significant changes to the system or bloatware, the update will most likely fail and you will stay on the old version. There is the possibility that the update will work and yes you will most likely lose root. As a general rule, if you are rooted DO NOT accept the carrier updates.

3) Yes, the best way to accept the update is to restore back to full stock, un-root and then let the update happen. You will most likely lose the ability to re-root until Unrevoked or someone else figures it out for the new RUU.

4) For the Froyo update there were several posts that gave a key sequence that would disable the notification. If you search this forum for Disable Update Notification you should find it.

Hope this helps.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site

Your post was not moved from my knowledge. There wouldn't be a reason to do so. Check your recent posts and see if by accident you posted it in a different thread. I have done this once or twice so that's the only reason I say this.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

zgeorge

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Terrific instructions! Now where do I get all the app goodness?? Especially turning the optical trackball into a power button, and nicer unlock screens etc etc

thanks, once again!

ChuckMRN

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks so much for the good instructions! This noob is now rooted. S 0ff was automatic, lucky for me... Now searching for all the goodness via wireless teather

courthaven

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
so for the DInc

I have 2 questions before I proceed with attempting to root.

1. So there is a good chance that Unrevoked 3 turns the S-Off with the Dincs, so I can stop after Step 6 in these instructions? If so that would be great.

2. After I load the Hboot drivers on my phone should I restart the phone? What should I do there?

Thanks so much for all of your assistance and for the time that you are taking to help out us less tech savvy people.

Have a good one!

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
To install the HBoot drivers just follow these directions that were posted by Brett.

Yes if you use the new Unrevoked 3 this will turn S-off so you can stop once the phone has been rooted.

aydreeuhn

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
BRETT?! :/

Hey Brett, I just rooted my Dinc with UnrEVOked 3, left it plugged in until it was completely done, and it seems to have set itself to S-off automatically. When I booted into recovery, it stills says "s-off", and Titanium and WiFi tether work fine. Do I still need to run unrevoked forever? Thanks for the help!!!!!

Do we still need to run unrevoked forever?

...And where in all this do I do a NANdroid backup?

Thank you!

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
If your phone is S-off you will not need to run unrevoked forever to check just boot in hboot and it will tell you on the top of the screen.

You will do your backup once your done rooting just boot into recovery and choose the backup/recovery option then select backup current.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699