Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

ROM
    stock

So help. When trying to install the hboot drivers because im running windows 7, when i right click on the device like the instructions say im not given the option to manually update the driver software. whats going wrong?

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts

Thanks for this guys! I successfully rooted and installed CM7 RC1 last night. Hit a snag when i couldn't find the CM7 zip on the sdcard... apparently ROM Manager buried it somewhere not immediately apparent. Found it in the end (and got my own copy onto my SD card) and all is good!

ROM
    Stock 4.02 Rooted

I posted this yesterday, but I don't know what happened to it (it disappeared), I am rooted now, and I can't find an straight answer to the following question: When the next OTA comes out (i.e. 2.2.1 or 2.3):
    <1> Will the update still be pushed to our phones (Incredible),
    <2> If so, will it harm the phone (or un-root it?)
    <3> Will we have to un-root to get the update
    <4> Is there an easy way or app to permanently stop the nagging when the update comes out

Please also note, I do not want to run a custom Rom, I am happy with my setup now. Thanks

(Moderators, if you move this post, please tell me where, thanks)

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Quote Originally Posted by bovineyard View Post
    I posted this yesterday, but I don't know what happened to it (it disappeared), I am rooted now, and I can't find an straight answer to the following question: When the next OTA comes out (i.e. 2.2.1 or 2.3):
    <4> Is there an easy way or app to permanently stop the nagging when the update comes out

Please also note, I do not want to run a custom Rom, I am happy with my setup now. Thanks

Here are some answers...

These answers are based on you running a stock rooted ROM.

1) Yes you will get the update notification

2) If you have made any significant changes to the system or bloatware, the update will most likely fail and you will stay on the old version. There is the possibility that the update will work and yes you will most likely lose root. As a general rule, if you are rooted DO NOT accept the carrier updates.

3) Yes, the best way to accept the update is to restore back to full stock, un-root and then let the update happen. You will most likely lose the ability to re-root until Unrevoked or someone else figures it out for the new RUU.

4) For the Froyo update there were several posts that gave a key sequence that would disable the notification. If you search this forum for Disable Update Notification you should find it.

Hope this helps.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

Your post was not moved from my knowledge. There wouldn't be a reason to do so. Check your recent posts and see if by accident you posted it in a different thread. I have done this once or twice so that's the only reason I say this.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Terrific instructions! Now where do I get all the app goodness?? Especially turning the optical trackball into a power button, and nicer unlock screens etc etc

thanks, once again!

Thanks so much for the good instructions! This noob is now rooted. S 0ff was automatic, lucky for me... Now searching for all the goodness via wireless teather

Default so for the DInc

I have 2 questions before I proceed with attempting to root.

1. So there is a good chance that Unrevoked 3 turns the S-Off with the Dincs, so I can stop after Step 6 in these instructions? If so that would be great.

2. After I load the Hboot drivers on my phone should I restart the phone? What should I do there?

Thanks so much for all of your assistance and for the time that you are taking to help out us less tech savvy people.

Have a good one!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

To install the HBoot drivers just follow these that were posted by Brett.

Yes if you use the new Unrevoked 3 this will turn S-off so you can stop once the phone has been rooted.

Now, I've got that part down, but should I restart my phone the drivers are installed or just continue on?

Global Posts
    2,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB

restart
    I'm the ROOT man
    G Talk: Upstreammiami3o5
    Let me help you ROOT your phone

Thanks so much!

Default BRETT?! :/

Hey Brett, I just rooted my Dinc with UnrEVOked 3, left it plugged in until it was completely done, and it seems to have set itself to S-off automatically. When I booted into recovery, it stills says "s-off", and Titanium and WiFi tether work fine. Do I still need to run unrevoked forever? Thanks for the help!!!!!
    Do we still need to run unrevoked forever?

...And where in all this do I do a NANdroid backup?

Thank you!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

If your phone is S-off you will not need to run unrevoked forever to check just boot in hboot and it will tell you on the top of the screen.

You will do your backup once your done rooting just boot into recovery and choose the backup/recovery option then select backup current.

Quote Originally Posted by mclarryjr View Post
    If your phone is S-off you will not need to run unrevoked forever to check just boot in hboot and it will tell you on the top of the screen.

You will do your backup once your done rooting just boot into recovery and choose the backup/recovery option then select backup current.

Ohh and this is before installing ROM Manager from the market...(in other words I don't need ROM Manager, correct?)

...And say I do need to use Unrevoked forever...Should I do a stock nandroid backup before or after installing unrevoked forever? What do you recommend.

...And another question...this has been killing me but I can't find the info anywhere... Where did the name "NANDroid" come from or what does it mean? The "NAN" part throws me off...

Thank you so much again Larry!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

No you don't need to download ROM Manager but IMO it's a great app so if I were you I would. I use RM to make my nandroid backups.

I would do a stock backup, making backups is a very good thing because you never really know when your going to have a problem and to restore to one.

Not really sure where the term nandroid came from you try doing a Google search to find out.

No you don't need to download ROM Manager but IMO it's a great app so if I were you I would. I use RM to make my nandroid backups.

I would do a stock backup, making backups is a very good thing because you never really know when your going to have a problem and to restore to one.

Not really sure where the term nandroid came from you try doing a Google search to find out.
    Ooo awesome!

I'm about to root RIGHT NOW lol so I just want to cross all my T's and dot all my I's.

A couple more things...

Backing up the stock 2.2 rom before or after S-on or S-off... or does it matter?

And... regardless of not using unrevoked forever to go S-off... Do the instructions on going S-on, in the unrooting, and stock recovery post (3rd post) still apply?

You rock Larry! Thank you!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

I would do a backup before and after better safe then sorry.

If I understand what your asking about the S-on in the un-rooting it does still apply if you wanted to un-root your phone.

need some help please! i'm in clockworkmod recovery now. i chose the wipedata/factory reset and nothing happened. chose the wipe cache partition and nothing happened. then did install zip from sdcard and nothing. did i mess up my dinc? help! =(
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

When in cw when you select someting using your optical joystick it may take a few seconds before it starts. Are you able to choose any option? Can you get into advanced options?

You may just want to try to reboot then try again.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by eyecanmakeamess View Post
    need some help please! i'm in clockworkmod recovery now. i chose the wipedata/factory reset and nothing happened. chose the wipe cache partition and nothing happened. then did install zip from sdcard and nothing. did i mess up my dinc? help! =(
    What step are you on?

thanks for getting back to me. so i gave it some time then i saw my screen saying the back button is enable so then i was able to do step 5 with the deleting of the data and cache. now when i get to the install zip from SD card since i want to install uncommon sense it get Please switch to edify scripting to creat working update zip packages. installation aborted. i downloaded the ROM thru ROM manager. any ideas?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Can you try re downloading using your computer then mount your sdcard and drag the the ROM over. Not sure why your having a problem I have never tried downloading a rom using rm. Make sure the rom in on the root of your sdcard and not in any folders. If you find the rom you downloaded is in a file on the sdcard move it to the root and try again.

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Quote Originally Posted by aydreeuhn View Post
    ...And another question...this has been killing me but I can't find the info anywhere... Where did the name "NANDroid" come from or what does it mean? The "NAN" part throws me off...

Thank you so much again Larry!
    NAND is the memory section of the phone that houses the OS and other System/radio info for the phone. It's called NAND because of the type of memory it is. It is able to maintain state without Power. (i.e. if you do a battery pull you do not lose your OS) The NAND is locked in un-rooted phones and can not be accessd by the user. The rooting process unlocks the NAND so you can flash ROMS/Radios/Splash screens and the like.

A NANDroid backup is a backup of the NAND memory section of the device, it's been "droided" because it's Android and geeks are funny that way!

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by PvilleComp; 03-07-2011 at 05:41 PM. Reason: typo
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
    Thanked by:
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast