Clockworkmod and ROM Question

Blah

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I've searched around but I don't seem to be able to find specific details about this so I am asking here.

I have an AMOLED Incredible and currently I'm on stock, but rooted, phone with Clockworkmod 2.5.1.2. Under ROM manager it allows me to update to 3.0.0.5 which I've read posts about certain issues. These issues seem to be addressed in 3.0.0.8.

My first question is, will ROM Manager eventually show 3.0.0.8 for upgrade or must I upgrade to 3.0.0.5 first and then it will prompt me?

My second question is, a post on here says some ROMs will need CWM 3.x and others will only work with CWM 2.5.x. Should I even upgrade at this point or is it safe to go ahead? Specifically I would like to try MIUI and CM7, but want to make sure they will work.

I previously used some custom ROMs and they worked fine, but I'm done with manually updating things and will just do ROM Manager these days.

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
miui works with 3.x and cm7, yes you should upgrade cwm...

if you just rooted you need to update to 3.0.0.5 first then go all the way at the bottom where it says all clockwork recoveries and select 3.0.0.8...

roms that dont work for 3.x and just old roms that haven't been updated!

Reactions: Blah

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
When you do upgrade to 3.0.0.8 before doing the update, go into Rom Manager settings and make sure "Erase Recovery" is checked as well.

Blah

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I've already done the upgrade, but haven't yet rebooted. Should I check that box and try to reinstall it?

If so, what does that do for me, just make sure it is a fresh install of the recovery?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Correct, it makes sure the old recovery is removed before flashing the new. I would re-apply the 3.0.0.8 with the box checked just to be safe.

Reactions: Blah

Blah

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this should be a continuation of this thread or not, but now after downloading a rom from rom manger, specifically MIUI, it reboots to back up and install but goes to recovery and does nothing. It's at the fastboot screen.

Does rom manager support 3.0.0.8? Maybe that's the reason why?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
It should it's written by the same guy ;)

Try flashing it manually. The zip should be in /clockwork/download/whatever MIUI's directory is.

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
For miui click on 1.3.4 select the kernel then select 1.3.5 ...when its done downloading if you haven't backed up your rom check backup also check wipe and hit ok...first time you flash a rom it will take awhile in the bootscreen

Blah

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I certainly appreciate all of the help and the speed which is offered here. I'll try manual later when I have additional time to mess with it.

Edit: Just saw Upsteammiami's reply and will try waiting longer. I only gave it a minute or two.

Blah

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I gave it 5 minutes and it never did anything. I'll just wait for an update I suppose or if I feel up to manual update later I will.

I wonder if the reason ROM manager says:
Current Recovery: ClockworkMod 3.0.0.8
Latest Recovery: ClockworkMod 3.0.0.5

points to it not supporting 3.0.0.8 quite yet though no posts I can find anywhere say that so I doubt that is the case. Oh well.

Blah

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
To complete this thread off, I fixed the issue by reinstalling CWM 3.0.0.8 and now ROM Manager works as expected.

In case anyone comes across this thread, I didn't need to downgrade and then upgrade, I simply send to the bottom to the All ClockworkMod section and clicked 3.0.0.8 which was already selected.

Just click the already highlighted 3.0.0.8 and you're all set.

Thank you again for the help guys.