Hi from Ottawa Canada

jlg234

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I still consider myself a noob even though I have been playing around with android tablets for several years. I have been retired since 2005 and have gradually migrated to tablets. My earlier tabs were bought with reading in mind and apps secondary. They consisted of 7" non capacitive screens and early Android releases. I now have a Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 (WiFi/cellular), Tab 2 7", Samsung Media Player 5" and 2 Dell Venues, the 8" Android and the 8" Pro w/active stylus- Win 8.1. My interests are music, computers and photography of which I am not an expert in any. I switched to Dell because the price and capacity was right especially with the Android Venue 8 (32 gig for $180). The 8 Pro gives me a foot hold in Win 8.1. The Venue 8 just saw an update to 4.3 and is pretty close to stock Android. I found my Samsung devices having issues running some of the apps I was interested in. I don't know if it is due to bloatware and/or Touch Wiz. I forgot to mention my BlackBerry Play Book 32 gig which has become a bit of a disappointment due to the climate change. I should mention that the Dell Venue 8 Pro has been my highest cost tab up to date. All the others I have managed to purchase new when on sale from $149 - $225.

Smart phones - yup - just got into that last year with a secondhand HTC EVO 3D and replaced that with a brand new Nokia Lumia 520 last week for $75 - no contract. Prior to that I had my kids hand-me-downs flip phones and usually ended up finishing their contract obligation at the lowest plan while they jumped to the next best thing/carrier.

So that's where I am - long winded and a jack of all trades, master of none.

John

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I still consider myself a noob even though I have been playing around with android tablets for several years. I have been retired since 2005 and have gradually migrated to tablets. My earlier tabs were bought with reading in mind and apps secondary. They consisted of 7" non capacitive screens and early Android releases. I now have a Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 (WiFi/cellular), Tab 2 7", Samsung Media Player 5" and 2 Dell Venues, the 8" Android and the 8" Pro w/active stylus- Win 8.1. My interests are music, computers and photography of which I am not an expert in any. I switched to Dell because the price and capacity was right especially with the Android Venue 8 (32 gig for $180). The 8 Pro gives me a foot hold in Win 8.1. The Venue 8 just saw an update to 4.3 and is pretty close to stock Android. I found my Samsung devices having issues running some of the apps I was interested in. I don't know if it is due to bloatware and/or Touch Wiz. I forgot to mention my BlackBerry Play Book 32 gig which has become a bit of a disappointment due to the climate change. I should mention that the Dell Venue 8 Pro has been my highest cost tab up to date. All the others I have managed to purchase new when on sale from $149 - $225.

Smart phones - yup - just got into that last year with a secondhand HTC EVO 3D and replaced that with a brand new Nokia Lumia 520 last week for $75 - no contract. Prior to that I had my kids hand-me-downs flip phones and usually ended up finishing their contract obligation at the lowest plan while they jumped to the next best thing/carrier.

So that's where I am - long winded and a jack of all trades, master of none.

John

Welcome to the forums.
Which tablet is your favorite?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Looks like you have a device habit, just like all of the rest of us!:)

jlg234

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't know yet. My Dell Venue 8 PRO is being replaced. The unit failed to power up after doing bios-update from Dell on Dec 25th. I bought the two Venue 8's (one for my wife and myself) couldn't pass up a 2 gig ram, 32 gig storage along with Micro SDHC storage as well as the dual core processor for $179 each. I find the display bright clear and easy to read. So far they haven't given me any issues. Already received an OS update from 4.2.2 to 4.3 and Multi - User profile has been restored (apparently wasn't there in 4.2.2 on the Dell ???)