Hi & Maybe Making Switch from iOS-Question

deeve

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I have been an iOS user and proponent for a long time. I have an iPhone 5 and have been disappointed with the battery life, finickiness and general experience. My family is an apple with my wife and kids having iPhones. I am very happy with my Macbook and iPad, but not the phone. I am not sure which is the best phone for me, so I am still looking-any direction there would be great! It is like learning a whole new way of speaking trying to sort through all the manufacturers and models/sizes, not to mention buying directly from Google.

I am also concerned when I switch from iPhone to Android I will loose my AT&T "unlimited" data plan-anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks and "hello" again!!
DAVE

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Android offers a good experience too and hopefully, you're raised your question at Android Central. There are a lot of Android choices so you'll have to decide what is the most important criteria in choosing a device. Popular Android phones are the LG G2, Motorola X, HTC One, Samsung S4 (S5 just announced, as you probably know), and Samsung Note 3, amongst others.

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE

deeve

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Thank you. I suppose my first area to look at is that there seems to be some unlocked "pure Android" phones from Google and others that have a lot of carrier specific software installed? Is there more advantage with one over another or is it more like each phone has different strengths like better camera on one, faster processor on another?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Some like the pure Android experience offered by something like the Nexus 5 while others prefer the extra dohickys provided by something like the Samsung S4. It's purely preference.

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE

howie782

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
The only way to keep that unlimited plan is buy off contract. If cost and bang for the buck is a concern the Nexus 5 cannot be beat as far as smartphone price goes. I have it and it is a great phone. The downside depending on who you to talk to is the battery life (it is better than nexus 4) but still not a battery power house but for 350 its adequate. I get about 6 - 10 hours (give or take depending on use with it). If you want better battery life and are ok with higher entry price a S4, Note 3, LG G2 can be had. They are great phones but have skins (overlays of samsung software or LG). Its preference as one poster stated because arguably the additional manufacture software has features that can be helpful. I keep a battery pack with me for my Nexus for those low battery moments but overall it is hard to complain about a phone that is unlocked, allows you to tinker with it, and get latest updates (if that is important to you) plus the low price.

Best of luck in your decision. maybe some of the other users who use MacBooks with android can guide in their experience if you use iTunes and sync.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
If you need to buy a device off contract I would highly suggest a Moto X. Great device, inexpensive, and totally awesome. Another good choice would be a Nexus 5.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

deeve

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi, my gut says to buy off contract. The Moto X and Nexus are priced about the same as an iphone. Might be a good step into the android world.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi, my gut says to buy off contract. The Moto X and Nexus are priced about the same as an iphone. Might be a good step into the android world.

There are certain advantages to both. I have them and honestly I typically choose the X over the Nexus 5 for the day.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Both the Moto X and Nexus 5 go for a lot less than an iPhone ($200+) :eek:
I'd go for the Moto X. The Nexus 5 is a great phone, but I like to think of the Moto X as the iPhone of the Android world. Only disappointing thing about it is the camera

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

deeve

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, today on the way home I ran by Best Buy to check out the Moto X. I like it. It seems well put together. I went by a T-Mobile and saw the Nexus 5. Between the two, I think I like the X better. It fit my hand well and I liked the package more as well. I have been looking around comparing prices. I saw someone selling a new in the box Moto X Developer unit for $375. Seems like a decent deal. The seller said he just unlocked the boot loader and turned it on. It has been in a box ever since.
I know with the iPhone you could check it to make sure it wasn't locked or stolen. Anything like that for Moto X? Any drawbacks to the developer unit?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, today on the way home I ran by Best Buy to check out the Moto X. I like it. It seems well put together. I went by a T-Mobile and saw the Nexus 5. Between the two, I think I like the X better. It fit my hand well and I liked the package more as well. I have been looking around comparing prices. I saw someone selling a new in the box Moto X Developer unit for $375. Seems like a decent deal. The seller said he just unlocked the boot loader and turned it on. It has been in a box ever since.
I know with the iPhone you could check it to make sure it wasn't locked or stolen. Anything like that for Moto X? Any drawbacks to the developer unit?

What carrier are you on?

draconianchaos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
You'd need to verify if the DE (dev edition) is intended for Verizon. There is a version that is interoperable between at&t and tmobile. I can't remember if there is a DE for gsm though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
You'd need to verify if the DE (dev edition) is intended for Verizon. There is a version that is interoperable between at&t and tmobile. I can't remember if there is a DE for gsm though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

There is :)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
He said it is a GSM DE for ATT or TMobile. I can get a new DE though for $449.

You can risk it if you want, but I think it's a good deal. The dev edition can be bootloader unlocked without voiding warranty.

deeve

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again everyone for the concise answers. It was nice to not have a whole lot of thread wandering. Kept it nice and simple. I am going to get a Moto X and probably the DE since the price is only $50 more and the tinkering ability built in might be nice down the road.

Now, my work is to figure out the best way to keep sync'd with the iCloud calendar so that I can still interact with the tech the rest of the house uses.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch