New to android

M3Stang

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys I'm new to android. Been an iPhone user since 2008. The 6 just didn't seem too great to me over what I already had which was the 5. I said to myself that if the 6 disappointed me that I may get an S5. Once I saw the 6 plus in the apple store I fell in love with the bigger phone. Sold my iPhone 5 and even bought a case and screen protector in preparation of receiving my plus. After going store after store to no avail I stumbled upon the note 4 at best buy the other day. I thought it was pretty cool so I decided to give it a shot. Figured if I didn't like it in could return it in 2 weeks and get the plus which is what I guess you could say is my "comfort zone". Anyway so I got the note 4 this morning and have been messing with it all day and boy do I like it. I'm not at all used to this os as is expected after 6 years of ios but it's pretty cool. Some things bother me about it like all of these preloaded apps. Reminds me of a pre built windows computer which is why I usually buy macs lol. Apparently there are ways to get rid of them but it could mess the phone up from what I've read. Another thing I don't like is how I can't swipe back and forth on Web pages just by moving my finger back and forth across the screen. Besides these things though I think that the phone is really cool and packed with a bunch of neat features. I so far really love the camera and the display. I may actually decide to keep it. I wanted to know, what are some features the die hard android guys are into? What are some cool things I can do with this phone? I know android is open source which I love. Reminds me of Linux. Are there any cool open source apps anyone would recommend? Like for office style things like word? Anything cool. I really am trying to get into the other major side of smartphones. Just looking for the right avenues into android. Thanks and I'm looking forward to being a member of this community!

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Just a quick mention that there are 3rd party browsers you can install like Dolphin that have gesture controls. I'll leave your other questions to the many other Note 4 users out there ...

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys I'm new to android.

Welcome to the forums!

Apparently there are ways to get rid of them but it could mess the phone up from what I've read.

Depends on what you do to get rid of them. Disbaling is a function out of the box: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...138-guide-how-disable-apps-2.html#post3972714

Rooting is like jailbreaking. With root, you can completely remove those apps (unlike disabling which stops them from running but they are still there), but between the root access and removing of preinstalled apps, you would stop any OTA from happening. And yes, this method of removing apps can possibly be harmful to the device, but in many cases, this can be fixed.

Like for office style things like word

Kingsoft Office is on Play. It's free, and you can edit many types of formats, including most MS ones. I liked Kingsoft so much, that when my Office free trial ran out (thanks, Microsoft), I installed the PC version of Kingsoft.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Just a quick mention that there are 3rd party browsers you can install like Dolphin that have gesture controls. I'll leave your other questions to the many other Note 4 users out there ...
Chrome also allows you to swipe at the top to go between Web pages

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I had Samsung phones for a long time, but the preloaded manufacturer and carrier apps started getting on my nerves. Many can be disabled, but many can't, and I'm not comfortable with the risks of rooting. So I switched to the Nexus 5, direct from Google Play, a couple of weeks ago and it is a much better experience. If you are within your return window, you can still consider replacing your Note 4 with the new Nexus 6 - costs about the same now that the carriers have really stopped subsidizing the phones (in spite of how they present the price).

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello there, welcome to Android and to the forums at Android Central! 🙋

I see you got plenty of help already. I agree with Golf, you can disable several apps easily if you don't want them.

Sent From The Time Vortex In The 5th Galaxy

M3Stang

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate everybody's input! Thanks for the welcome. I am probably going to look into those bloat ware apps as I am finding they are called, as far as getting rid of them. Other than that I did get the dolphin browser and it does work with gestures, but it is a bit tedious to use. I have to manually open up an area for gestures and even then I have to draw an arrow. The way I was talking about, and I understand some of you may not no, since after all this is an android forum lol, that on the iPhone you would simply swipe the Web page away to go back or forward. If that's not something possible, is there a way to get chrome to have the arrows by the address bar? It seems a bit illogical to me to have to press the ... button to the go either back or forward. Thanks again for all the replies!

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Chrome Browser lets you swipe like that among open tabs, but not back and forth in history. Of course on android, unlike IOS, you have a back button, so there is half your solution.

Last edited:

M3Stang

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Chrome Browser lets you swipe like that among open tabs, but not back and forth in history. Of course on android, unlike IOS, you have a back button, so there is half your solution.

Lol I guess. It's just an inconvenience to have to move your hand all the way done there when your finger could just swipe where it already is.