Why exactly does iOS 7 need to be 64bit?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes I remember all that, part of that was a hardware push, but it has been implied that the lifecycle of cell phones or upgrade cycle is much faster than computer hardware.

It is expected that most people upgrade their phones every 2 years because of the offers made by carriers. My macbook died after 4.5 years of use. And after upgrading to a SSD in the machine its performance was more than acceptable.

You really don't have that option with phones even though we are reaching a point where gains are marginal in relation to software versus hardware in smartphones.

The problem is that people are still buying the iPhone 4, and two years from now will be buying the iPhone 5c as the cheap upgrade. I was baffled when I found out the 5c had the old (but capable) CPU, just for this reason.

This is what Apple has to prevent. IMO the best way to prevent it would be to tell people that the 5s runs a newer and better version, and give them incentive to upgrade. You know the difference. I know the difference. The average consumer will buy the line that they are "the same".

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
The problem is that people are still buying the iPhone 4, and two years from now will be buying the iPhone 5c as the cheap upgrade. I was baffled when I found out the 5c had the old (but capable) CPU, just for this reason.

This is what Apple has to prevent. IMO the best way to prevent it would be to tell people that the 5s runs a newer and better version, and give them incentive to upgrade. You know the difference. I know the difference. The average consumer will buy the line that they are "the same".

I also considered not removing the 4S fro. The lineup and introducing an iPhone 5C without a 64 bit processor extremely stupid.

Posted via Android Central App

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

This is what drives me nuts about Apple's iphone release/support cycle philosophy. The iPad 2/ 4s/ Mini is the same internal hardware (minus wifi card) but the iPad2 doesn't get the same features as the other 2.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
With the groundwork that Apple is laying now, if they come out with a legitimate large-screen iPhone 6, it could possibly be the best selling phone in history. There will be Android converts by the thousands, if not hundreds of thousands.

Well no. There will still be that whole lockdown/walled garden thing going on. That will keep me away. And many like me.

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Well no. There will still be that whole lockdown/walled garden thing going on. That will keep me away. And many like me.

I have many friends who moved to Android phones primarily for the larger screen. They still do the same things as they did on their previous iphones.

What you see as a closed ecosystem, many others view as a solution that's easy to set up and ready to use right out of the box.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Big Secret,

Android is a wall garden too.

Don't believe me.

Here is one example...

While movies and TV shows can be saved for offline viewing on the Google Play Movies & TV app, they cannot be downloaded to your computer for offline viewing.

Also you can only download purchase Google play songs a limited number of times.

You can download each track from the web two times.

The only thing Android has that isn't a walled garden is the ability to distribute APKs without using the play store but there is a catch.

Facebook decided to do updates outside of the Play Store and Google immediately pulled the app because that isn't how they like things to be done.

Also when you download an apk you take a chance that it could have been modified by outside sources.

When it comes to ecosystem, the free you believe to be there is imaginary.

mysticmeg

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Big Secret,

Don't believe me.

Here is one example...

Also you can only download purchase Google play songs a limited number of times.

The only thing Android has that isn't a walled garden is the ability to distribute APKs without using the play store but there is a catch.

Facebook decided to do updates outside of the Play Store and Google immediately pulled the app because that isn't how they like things to be done.

Also when you download an apk you take a chance that it could have been modified by outside sources.

Okay. So both operating systems are as you put it closed garden walls. And I'm dead sure each operating system has a way around the security features.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Okay. So both operating systems are as you put it closed garden walls. And I'm dead sure each operating system has a way around the security features.

Sorry not sure of your point. Of course there are ways around security features. My argument is that Android has always had a walled garden and it isn't just an Apple thing.

mysticmeg

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Sorry not sure of your point. Of course there are ways around security features. My argument is that Android has always had a walled garden and it isn't just an Apple thing.

My point being that ios and Android phones both sit in a walled garden but you have to admit and I'm sure anyone can vouch with me on this that Apple has its users locked up behind a jail within a walled garden. You only have to look at how limited the iPhone os is. Does an iPhone have a file system on the phone which allows a user to add files and move them around? Does iOS let users install applications outside of the app store? Don't think so. But so what if there is a risk that apk files download on an android device might be malicious. End of the day us android users have the ability to install such applications that aren't available through the playstore where as Apple won't let you do that unless you're jail broken but I haven't a clue if you can install apps without the app store when jail broken.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
My point being that ios and Android phones both sit in a walled garden but you have to admit and I'm sure anyone can vouch with me on this that Apple has its users locked up behind a jail within a walled garden. You only have to look at how limited the iPhone os is. Does an iPhone have a file system on the phone which allows a user to add files and move them around? Does iOS let users install applications outside of the app store? Don't think so. But so what if there is a risk that apk files download on an android device might be malicious. End of the day us android users have the ability to install such applications that aren't available through the playstore where as Apple won't let you do that unless you're jail broken but I haven't a clue if you can install apps without the app store when jail broken.

You are correct but with one small technical detail.

Only way to install apps without jailbreaking is to be part enterprise developer program through your organization.

For example I have a company that has the enterprise developer program, they have me design an app that works with their sales database. They can deploy to any phone without having to go through the app store.

This is how companies have custom made apps for their services without having to have the app uploaded to the app store.

So it is available but it is not designed for the average consumer.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Big Secret,

Don't believe me.

Here is one example...

You aren't describing Android, you're describing Google Play services. None of that stuff is required for Android. All of the similar limitations in iOS are required.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
You aren't describing Android, you're describing Google Play services. None of that stuff is required for Android. All of the similar limitations in iOS are required.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Are you saying I can't play 3rd party movies or music on an iDevice?

Are you saying that I am required to buy movies, ebooks, or music on itunes or ibooks only to use on my iDevice?

Outside of applications those limitations you believe exist, does not.

mysticmeg

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
You are correct but with one small technical detail.

Only way to install apps without jailbreaking is to be part enterprise developer program through your organization.

For example I have a company that has the enterprise developer program, they have me design an app that works with their sales database. They can deploy to any phone without having to go through the app store.

This is how companies have custom made apps for their services without having to have the app uploaded to the app store.

So it is available but it is not designed for the average consumer.

Fair point. But I meant it for the average consumer who doesn't have the ability to do this.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Due to the 4GB address limit of a 32 bit computer at some point in the future when phones need more that 4GB of RAM there is a need for phones to have a 64 bit CPU. Till then for consumers there is not a big reason to want a 64 bit CPU phone. At some point 32 bit computers will run up to that 4GB limit and it is wise for phone makers to get 64 bit computers in place. However Apple isn't helping the consumers that buy these 64 bit phones, they are solving their products future software issues by making people pay for something they can't use today that will solve a lot of Apple issues in the future.

A 64 bit CPU needs more RAM which eats more battery power. Any App that is 64 bit will require your data modem to transfer twice as many bytes that will slow down your 64 bit Application and run up your Network providers charges if you pay per byte transferred.

What Apple did was make people think their 64 bit A7 runs faster than their 32 bit A6 due to having a wider CPU. The A7 is faster because they reduced the die size and cranked the clock rate not because it was 64 bits wide. Now every phone manufacture will need to move to 64 bit CPU for marking issues since people think wider is faster. With the limited batteries capacities, phone prices and speed of data modems wider isn't better for phone consumers.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Due to the 4GB address limit of a 32 bit computer at some point in the future when phones need more that 4GB of RAM there is a need for phones to have a 64 bit CPU. Till then for consumers there is not a big reason to want a 64 bit CPU phone. At some point 32 bit computers will run up to that 4GB limit and it is wise for phone makers to get 64 bit computers in place. However Apple isn't helping the consumers that buy these 64 bit phones, they are solving their products future software issues by making people pay for something they can't use today that will solve a lot of Apple issues in the future.

A 64 bit CPU needs more RAM which eats more battery power. Any App that is 64 bit will require your data modem to transfer twice as many bytes that will slow down your 64 bit Application and run up your Network providers charges if you pay per byte transferred.

What Apple did was make people think their 64 bit A7 runs faster than their 32 bit A6 due to having a wider CPU. The A7 is faster because they reduced the die size and cranked the clock rate not because it was 64 bits wide. Now every phone manufacture will need to move to 64 bit CPU for marking issues since people think wider is faster. With the limited batteries capacities, phone prices and speed of data modems wider isn't better for phone consumers.

Explain to us how the choice of cpu changed the pricing structure of iPhone 5s.

Superjudge

May 6, 2013
Visit site
This thread will be pretty meaningless when there are 64bit Android phones which are around the corner. I hope those saying this is an Apple gimmick will at least offer the same critique to 64bit Android devices.

Last edited:

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
This thread will be pretty meaningless when there are 64bit Android phones which are around the corner. I hope those saying this is an Apple gimmick will at least offer the same critique to 64bit Android devices.
Don't you know? It's a gimmick when Apple releases a 64-bit phone (which actually exists) and actually supports it with the relevant software, but it's innovation when another company promises a similar feature in the near future (which continues to remain vapourware for now).:p

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I've seen a lot of posts here with misguided understandings of what 64bit means. A bit is a measurement of data and at a given frequency in theory the processor can handle twice the data giving it the possibility of handling twice the amount of data in the same amount of cycles. It could mean twice the speed if applied that way. In the end its about implementation. Many of us remember the change for Windows and how badly that went at first and still few programs capitalize on this.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using AC Forums mobile app

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Big Secret,

Don't believe me.

Here is one example...

NONE of that was what I was even referring to. Am talking about BASIC look and feel things. Can I put a different launcher on a stock ios device? No i cannot. Different keyboard? Nope. About all I can do is change the order of icons and my wallpaper. Oooh.

But to your other points...who cares about movies or music being limited in some way? They are not the only place to get movies or music from. i don't even ding apple on that point, yet you ding Google for it. Ridiculious. Also while it is true you can only download individual tracks back twice, you can do dumps of your entire collection more then that.

I honestly don't know why there are so many Google/Android bashers in this thread. Love Apple? Great. There are sites for that. But this one, is an Android one. It's like walking into Wendy's and going on and on about how In and Out's burgers are better. Okay...so go to In and Out then!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress