I need a keyboard with very special multi-language support

Dmitry Toda

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Hello everybody,
I have a question I don't even know to google correctly.

In my everyday life, I use two languages - Russian and English. But sometimes, like once in a couple of days, I need to type something in French, Spanish or Portuguese. Every one of them has its own unique diacritic symbols, like ? in French, ? in Spanish and ? in Portuguese, not speaking of different dictionaries for autocomplition. So I really need all the five layouts, but some of them more often than the others.

If I just add all the five languages to my phone, it will be a real pain in the a. to switch between them when I only need English and Russian. I tried it and almost went nuts having to switch layout for 4 times just to go from English to Russian. But if I only keep those two, I can't really type anything in another language without adding it via Settings and then removing back.

So what I need is some kind of keyboard that normally switches between two languages, but has some special button or something like this allowing to turn on the others.

Does anyone know some kind of solution here?

andrew_sc_syd

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Hello everybody,
So what I need is some kind of keyboard that normally switches between two languages, but has some special button or something like this allowing to turn on the others.
Does anyone know some kind of solution here?

I use the Samsung 4.2.2 keyboard on my devices, and it recognises multiple languages simultaneously. I have three languages configured, and the autocompletion suggestions come up in all three at the same time. Apparently, ti choses the most frequent usages from all three combined. Saves me a lot of trouble with accented characters. I don't even have to swipe the Blank key, because the choice of language does not seem to matter. It's great for typing to chat with my multilingual friends, when we mix words from multiple languages in the same sentence.

The only limitation came when I tried a fourth language Hebrew, which did not obey the usual left-to-right direction. It was fine to use it all by itself, except that I don't know enough of it to complete a sentence -:) But when I tried to mix words with English, the Samsung keyboard could not work out the geometry and it crashed. I don't blame them, I could not quite work it out either ! What should happen when I began a sentence from left to right in English, and then I tried to add a right-to-left word in Hebrew. That was too much, for both man and beast, so to speak.

But it should work for the European languages you mentioned.

Dmitry Toda

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, I'll try it. Russian has Cyrillic alphabet which differs from Latin, so I guess I will have to swipe the space sometimes, but it will be better already.

Dmitry Toda

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Wait, I AM already using a Samsung keyboard, it came with the phone! I've noticed it t? show words from one language when I was using another, but I always thought of it as of a problem rather than a feature.

Now the next issue comes. I can select maximum 4 input languages, while I need 5. If I exclude English, it will still be there bc it is kinda default and cannot really be removed. That's good of course, but it is not th? perfect solution. When I want to type in English, I should select something like Spanish or French on the keyboard, and of course it will suggest words from that language more often.

So, did I understand correctly, that with that Samsung keyboard you
1. Selected several input languages in your device settings
2. Have them all on th? space bar and theoretically can swipe between them
3. But you don't care about what's selected on th? space bar and you just start typing in whatever language you need and hope the keyboard will get it right? (I am not talking about H?brew here)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non