LG G Pad 8.3 Google Play edition announced

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Google yesterday announced the release of the LG G Pad 8.3 GPe alongside several other announcements. Here is the Android Central post on the announcement: LG announces Google Play edition G Pad 8.3 | Android Central

Specs are as follows:
Key Specifications:
? Processor: 1.7GHz Quad-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon? 600 Processor
? Operating System: Android? 4.4, KitKat
? Display: 8.3-inch Full HD IPS WUXGA (1920 x 1200 pixels / 273 ppi)
? Memory: 16GB eMMC
? RAM: 2GB LPDDR2
? Camera: Rear 5.0MP / Front 1.3MP
? Battery: 4,600mAh
? Connectivity: Wi-Fi
? Size: 216.8 x 126.5 x 8.3mm
? Weight: 338g
? Colors: Indigo Black

Hit the link above for more information, including links to get your LG G Pad 8.3 GPe ordered!

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Surprisingly, I've already received mine today. :eek: :D

Initial impressions are all good--offers solutions to all of the flaws (my opinion, of course) of the Nexus 7. I'll try to post a detailed personal review in a few days, if anyone is interested.

mostlywords

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site

Initial impressions are all good--offers solutions to all of the flaws (my opinion, of course) of the Nexus 7. I'll try to post a detailed personal review in a few days, if anyone is interested.

Exactly! I was looking forward to an 8 inch vanilla Android tablet, but dreading the lack of micro SD. best of both worlds! worth the extra cash to me.

Jadien

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

Yes, please!!

Posted via Android Central App

rjrobins

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Ordered mine last night and it is expected to be here today. Bought this to replace my Nexus 7 2012. Very excited. I'll post my initial thoughts soon...

rjrobins

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Received tonight. Stock - Running Nova Prime. First 2 hours initial thoughts:
1. Benchmarks - Quadrant: 9276 (My G2 at the same time was: 17,378)
2. The screen is bright, colors are clear, not noticing "yellow" tint
3. Love the build quality. Fingerprint magnet with the aluminum brushed back. Feels light in hand. Great form factor
4. Vanilla 4.4 Kit Kat on board. No NFC, Wireless Charging, or any LG Software enhancements (KnockOn/QPair). Does have Bluetooth & Wireless Display for casting.
5. Sound is much louder than the Nexus 7 2012. Google Play Music & Hulu Plus sound great.
6. Icon Pack looks beautiful
7. Comes with a weak selection of wallpapers and it's very hard to find one that doesn't look distorted. No Kit Kat wallpaper.
8. Impressed with the speed. I'm a G2 user and this feels comparable despite having the 600 vs. the 800 and a much lower Quadrant score
9. Battery is not the same as the G2. It's not bad by any means but is definitely pulling faster than the G2. I would compare to the Nexus7
10. GPS is spot on. I know this is stupid but the G2 sometimes has issues so this was great to see.

I was shocked when I ran the Quadrant benchmark next to the G2 at first. But after playing around and throwing many apps on, I did not notice one bit of lag. Twice though AnTuTu shut the tablet completely off which I've never seen before. Other than that I've been impressed with it. Lots of customization to get it similar to my Nexus but now that it's complete, time to enjoy. Ask any questions...

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Posted this update at the request of a member at another forum so thought I'd post it here as well:

Any new impressions on the device?

Better than Nexus 7 or worse? :D:D

Does it overheat like the original G Pad?

Yesterday I read about the blue line problem on XDA. After 30-60 minutes of using the tablet (no turning the screen off during all that time) a blue line appears on one of the sides of the screen. Have you seen this problem?

[url=http://s23.postimg.org/ohtztec47/Blue_Line.jpg]Image[/url]

Yeah, I'm definitely selling my Nexus 7 and replacing it with the G Pad. Still haven't put enough time in to put together a detail review but since you asked, I'll bullet point advantages/disadvantages vs. the Nexus 7.

Pros:
  • Love the increase screen real estate, make a huge difference vs. 7" found on the Nexus
  • Hardware is terrific--feels great in hand, a bit more premium vs. the Nexus. Not necessarily better, just different and every bit as good
  • Better proporations. It has the same display ratio (iPad Mini wins in this area using 4:3) but it has smaller bezels all the way around so the overall increase in size is proportionally less than the increase is display size. Still very comfortable to hold one handed.
  • Expandable memory
  • Speaker placement is better on the G Pad as I find my hands often covering the speakers on the ends of the Nexus when holding in landscape. Quality though isn't quite as good (will discuss later)

Cons:
  • Less onboard storage available for apps. I don't plan on gaming much on it so 16GB is enough for me, certainly could understand someone needing more though.
  • Display color tone--it's a bit warmer (towards yellow vs. blue on the Nexus). The Nexus is also slightly brighter. I'm not terribly picky and only really notice when using side-by-side. One's preference/tolerance will come into play here.
  • No LED notification light. Not a big deal for me on my tablet, generally check my notifications on my phone.
  • No wireless charging. Again, not a big deal for me but I have enjoyed the convenience of using it with my Nexus 7.
  • No NFC. Again, I don't use it so no loss for me personally
  • Speakers are a touch better on the Nexus 7. I honestly don't rely on them (use earphones when watching video or use bluetooth to stream content) so I had to actively test them to compare. The G Pad's speakers are a touch louder but also less accurate--sound a bit tinny vs. the Nexus 7.

Everything else is a wash, IMO. I won't compare cameras because I refuse to use my tablets to take photos. Haven't noticed any overheating issues but I also haven't had any long sessions that would overly tax it. Thankfully, no blue line issues to speak of (yet). Also, the version of KitKat on the G Pad is nearly identical, with the only differences I've noticed being the absence of the Gallery app, and a X.X.2. ;)

My list of cons/disadvantages is obviously a bit longer but they also have little impact on my personal usage. Display size carries far more weight in my preferences and is the primary reason why I'll be keeping the G Pad.

I've included a couple of quick and dirty photos--sorry quality isn't top notch, took 'em quickly so I could include something for reference. The first photo also includes a first gen iPad Mini for reference.

Attachments

• 2013-12-13 10.59.33.jpg
    2013-12-13 10.59.33.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 41
  • 2013-12-13 11.00.59.jpg
    2013-12-13 11.00.59.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 41

Jadien

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
After seeing all of these positive reviews, I'm starting to contrive a way to buy this without my wife noticing! :)

Question: Is the IR blaster on the device? If so, what apps have you used successfully?

I've included a couple of quick and dirty photos--sorry quality isn't top notch, took 'em quickly so I could include something for reference. The first photo also includes a first gen iPad Mini for reference.

What's the comparison for the in-hand feel vs. 2013N7?

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
No IR blaster yet. Q Pair does work though. Connected to my G2 with no issue. Does feel an little snappier than my regular G Pad.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk 4

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The only thing the G pad has over the Nexus 7 in terms of screen is size. Every other aspect it falls short. Color, sharpness, ect all go to the Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

I'll take the larger screen, micro SD card, and zippiness of the G Pad. If we all liked the same thing, what a boring place this world would be, right?

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
After seeing all of these positive reviews, I'm starting to contrive a way to buy this without my wife noticing! :)

Question: Is the IR blaster on the device? If so, what apps have you used successfully?

What's the comparison for the in-hand feel vs. 2013N7?

The IR blaster is on the device but I haven't tried using it yet---any suggestions on a compatible app from Google Play to use?

As far as in hand feel, I can hold both comfortably in one hand. The soft touch feel of the Nexus 7 is terrific but there's something nice about holding aluminum as well. Everyone will have difference preferences--in this case materials don't make a difference for me.

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

I'll take the larger screen, micro SD card, and zippiness of the G Pad. If we all liked the same thing, what a boring place this world would be, right?

Agree with you here. Display performance is better on the Nexus but the difference in color temp/tone only bothers me when comparing side by side. The benefits afforded by the larger display are more important to me than the diminished screen performance, but of course YMMV. The expandable memory is a terrific benefit as well--makes transferring media, especially large video files much easier.

Not going to begrudge anyone choosing the Nexus over the G Pad as it's a damn good tablet. All things being equal (i.e. same sized screen), I might choose the Nexus as well.

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Now if LG would spit out a 4G version I'd be a very happy camper instead of just a happy camper.

BTW, I just finished watching a Netflix movie and did not get a blue line anywhere on my screen.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
After working this tablet today, I have one gripe about it versus the original G Pad, you can't move files to the SD card because there is no file manager in the OS. Anyone have a workaround? I've tried using the various file managers from the Play Store with no success on moving any file to my micro sd card. Is this a Kit Kat issue?

Last edited:

CellGuy

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
After working this tablet today, I have one gripe about it versus the original G Pad, you can't move files to the SD card because there is no file manager in the OS. Anyone have a workaround? I've tried using the various file managers from the Play Store with no success on moving any file to my micro sd card. Is this a Kit Kat issue?

Have you rooted yet? Should let you move things around after that.