Double Tap=Screen On

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Really ? I will hold off to use this phone in store but I'm disappointed in the storage options (32gb and 64gb come on people!!) software seems boring, it needs a bigger battery, global lte? to name a few things :(

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
IIRC this is available on hTc One by Rooting which is too bad because I'm not comfortable doing.

Anyways, when I saw this and other LG's features it got my attention. I thought I was set with Samsung Galaxy Note 3 hTc One Max but this changes everything.

SHIFT_note 8.0 lte

DakotaBoy

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm good with AT&T. Battery life is definitely a concern though. Do you guys think the double tap feature will work if I'm running Nova Launcher? I'm not sure if I'm a fan of LG's UX. @ bembol, I'm not into rooting either.

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Really ? I will hold off to use this phone in store but I'm disappointed in the storage options (32gb and 64gb come on people!!) software seems boring, it needs a bigger battery, global lte? to name a few things :(

What? 32 and 64 GB are not enough? Am I reading that right?
Software is nothing to write home about, they took a page right out of the Touchwiz ugly book, but that is what launchers are for
Bigger battery? 3000Mah is the biggest battery, in a normal sized (4.5-5") phone outside the Maxx. It is rated to go 1.2 days, but even if it makes 18 continuous hours it is a step up.
Global LTE doesnt concern most of us, but ok I hope that what ever country you are from you get LTE. I am sure all the ones here in the states will

Your pretty much off the mark on everything here except maybe the software, and that really has yet to go through any kind of practical use/review

DakotaBoy

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Amen! I really hope this phone gets decent reviews. Whatever LG calls their android skin looks pretty ugly, but I could get used to it, if launchers took away the double tap thing. I am a recent iPhone 5 convert (since chromecast). And I would say that the one thing I really don't like about my One is that its tough to use with one hand. But, double tap screen thing, software buttons, and rear buttons could alleviate that issue.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
No, this is a separate thing. You can use launchers like Nova to enable a double tap gesture to hide your status bar up top (pull down) or do other things. I used this extensively before I switched to Action Launcher. Action Launcher has a tap to hide the search bar which I use, however oftentimes I'll accidentally double tap. This would turn off my screen rather than hide an element of the homescreen. It may not be a big deal to you, but it is for a contingent of people which includes myself.
This isn't the same thing. This turns your screen on from being completely off.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I had this on a lumia 925 I had for about a week, and I still find myself trying to double tap my Nexus 4's screen to wake it up. It should be a standard thing on phones without physical buttons on the face. (Or, software like the Moto x's as well)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
No, this is a separate thing. You can use launchers like Nova to enable a double tap gesture to hide your status bar up top (pull down) or do other things. I used this extensively before I switched to Action Launcher. Action Launcher has a tap to hide the search bar which I use, however oftentimes I'll accidentally double tap. This would turn off my screen rather than hide an element of the homescreen. It may not be a big deal to you, but it is for a contingent of people which includes myself.

Not everyone will use the same launcher, you are using. So this is a issue for you, and the phone might not be for you.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I've been enjoying double tap to wake on the bottom inch of my HTC one screen. I also have long press htc logo to wake or sleep & swipe right across capacitive area to wake and left to sleep. I also have volume keys as wake. I wonder why for instance Htc didn't map the htc logo to menu as I did with a custom kernel. The double tap to wake thing would be cool out of the box as well.

Unlocking the bootloader brings a whole new world to the one. It's well worth it and really is not dangerous if you follow directions. Dual booting stock android and htc sense 5? Priceless.

AT&T HTC One MoDaCo.Switch Beta 8
Nexus 7 2013 Unlocked Root + TWRP
Chromecast

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Uuuum my note 2 battery is 3100mah and its a beast sooo this s battery with a smaller screen and better screen technology to save battery should be even better.... At the point people complain about a 3000mah battery... Im thinking.. U just wanna complain.. Sorry that's plenty.. And I'm a heavy user

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

Shawheim

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Until you realize double tap = screen off = killing of launcher features. I'm terribly unexcited about that.

this is not a problem seeing as all the UI additions can be cut off. The knock, the Qslide, the volume presses all that stuff can be cut off. no manufacturer implements their extras without letting you disable them.

rinemie

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Until you realize double tap = screen off = killing of launcher features. I'm terribly unexcited about that.

Wow, what a giant liar.
And do you know who created this functionality? I do. and I know it isn't possible

Let me give you a hint, the same functionality is in the HTC ONE. It's called Swipe to Wake Up, it's just the gesture that's different. (Double tap also exists on HTC one)
hTC One - Swipe To Wake and Logo To Wake Up - YouTube

JR A

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Double tap is awesome.

If I can double tap my SIG or Springfield, then I should be able to double tap my phone!

'MURRRICA!!!!

I use double-tap in browsers to size to the current column a LOT.

Double tap to turn the screen OFF will only work on a "dead space". If you have an app open, like your browser, normal app rules will apply to double tap. Also, if you try to double tap a widget then it'll just do whatever double tapping a widget normally does.

Basically, you have to double tap an empty space on your homescreen to turn the screen off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress