LG G2 vs Note 3 vs Sony Honami vs One Max vs Moto X/Maxx?

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Given the plethora of amazing Android phones that are currently out, and coming out within the next two months, is anyone else having as hard a time as I am making a decision? I'm obviously going to wait until after the IFA reveal of the other phones and some solid reviews (aka from androidcentral or anandtech), but right now the G2 appears to my front-runner. It checks off almost every important thing in my must have list and doesn't appear to have many shortcomings.

Things that I must have from a phone:

Good camera
No lag
Sturdy/able to take some abuse
Good cell radio reception/GPS reception
A large battery/replaceable battery
Great screen, preferably with GG3

Things that I want from a phone, but aren't deal breakers:

IR blaster
32/64 size
Near stock experience, or access to developer/GPE
Slim bezel
Capacitive buttons
NFC
Great speakers

Gimmicks that I wouldn't mind having:

Knock to turn on
Wacom stylus
Touchless control
Active display
Wireless charging

So who else is in the same boat, and what are you waiting for? What does the G2 not check off on your must have lists?

ayman86

May 7, 2010
Visit site
pretty much in the same boat. though from what ive been reading battery usage looks okay. i hope its as good as the gn2 or better. looking forward to more indepth reviews

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the Note 3 has everything I want in a phone with the exception of the OIS missing from the camera. I am staying away from the HTC One Max mainly because of the size it will end being with those huge bezels on the top and bottom. The Honami is out as well. One being it most likely won't end up on Verizon. Two being it is rather hideous looking. The UI looks bland and boring. I hate Touchwiz, but if they come out with a Google or developer edition, I am sure those features will be ported over into a custom ROM. The G2 looks nice as well. I think I want the bigger screen though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, the Note 3 not having OIS is a rumor that only popped up within the last week, so I'm hoping it's like most other rumors- wrong. Other than that, they don't really need to do much to it other than throwing in an 800/330. If we could somehow get touchless control and active display on the Note 3 or G2 (outside of a 3rd party buggy app), it'd be a no brainer for me.

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Im torn between the Moto X and G2. Note 3 is too big for me, along with One Max (The One is already kind of big).

Moto X has that perfect size! Plus active display notifications are cool. Along with the mostly stock experience and probability of quick updates.

G2 is just a beast. Great screen, great camera that the Moto X is lacking, big battery, hopefully 32gb standard. Only thing holding me back is the size. I'll see it in person, but I figure it should be around the S4 size which I top out at until it just becomes cumbersome to use. I need one handed usability! They really really minimized the bezels all around which is great for the screen-size were getting. I don't think I'd mind the buttons on the back TBH. Plus LGs out-pf-the-box customizations are welcome. Lets see how their "theme" thing goes, it could be cool just by how drastically different the stock 2 look.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I am in the same boat. The LG G2 looks fantastic and I am a Big fan of LG devices. After owning the LG Optimus G Pro, LG really stands out in the crowd for me.
I am interested in the Sony Z1 but only if it has a 5" screen. I have Zero interest in the Note 3, 5.5" is Too big and the Note 3 leak shows it will be at least 5.7" ... no thanks. I actually "like" touchwiz but after having the S4 (which I really did like, for the most part) isn't optimized at all and usually runs quite laggy for a phone with super specs.
For some reason, I just can't get into motorola... I just haven't been impressed with this company since the Razor came out ( the one from 2002 lol) The "new" Razor, IMO, had a horrible screen. Very Blue...
The One Max looks like it might be a "gigantor" device like note 3 as well. I'm not really "in the know" of any other devices coming out soon. SO, that leaves me with the LG G2, The Z1 if the screen is 5" and I keep hearing rumors of the LG Optimus G Pro 2 as well.
It seems to never be the "right" time to by an android device, a new one will be out next week...

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes! Always something new coming out with Android.

Moto I am into now since Google bought it. Yes they aren't giving them an unfair advantage for updates, but I think the phones will def be supported longer/more due to Google owning them in the long run.

G2 has A LOT of crazy value adds though. Damn, decisions

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same boat. The LG G2 looks fantastic and I am a Big fan of LG devices. After owning the LG Optimus G Pro, LG really stands out in the crowd for me.

Having never owned an LG phone, I'm glad to hear you say this. It seems some really love their phones, and some hate them. As for the Note 3, while they screen size is increasing, I strongly suspect that the size of the device will be the same/smaller ala the S4 as the bezel is reduced.

cathain

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm leaning towards the G2 myself but going to wait and see what the Nexus 5 and key lime pie have to offer. I reckon it'll be at least next summer before the G2 sees KLP. Nexus 4 was announced at the end of October last year but with all the leaks it was pretty much confirmed weeks before that, hopefully its the same this year.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Thinking about the G2 also but size will matter. If it feels to big, I'll pass.
The only other device I'm looking at is the HTC One.
I have a Razr HD, and I'm going to miss the 64GB micro-SD.

kikaha

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I think the Note 3 has everything I want in a phone with the exception of the OIS missing from the camera. I am staying away from the HTC One Max mainly because of the size it will end being with those huge bezels on the top and bottom. The Honami is out as well. One being it most likely won't end up on Verizon. Two being it is rather hideous looking. The UI looks bland and boring. I hate Touchwiz, but if they come out with a Google or developer edition, I am sure those features will be ported over into a custom ROM. The G2 looks nice as well. I think I want the bigger screen though.

I read somewhere that the Note 3 will have OIS.
I can't remember where I read that though... :(

Last edited:

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere that the Note 3 will have OIS.
I can't remember where I read that though... :(

The latest rumors from a few days ago state no OIS. Not a deal breaker though. It's nice to have high end cameras in smartphones, but that's what standalone cameras are for. Someday you may not need both. But, if it's any better than the Note 2's, I'll be more than satisfied.

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Thinking about the G2 also but size will matter. If it feels to big, I'll pass.
The only other device I'm looking at is the HTC One.
I have a Razr HD, and I'm going to miss the 64GB micro-SD.

I was really interested in the One, but being on Verizon, they managed to delay it just long enough that I've essentially lost interest. It's a beautiful phone, but if I'm going to spend money I'm going to want to the latest and greatest (not so much a spec ***** as a future-proofer, same way when I build my computers).

adamspt2

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I like my current phone (Nexus 4 by LG) but have nothing else to worry about right now (thank God) so I'm itching for a new phone I can't stand it. I had decided to pick between the One and the S4 and settled on the One. Before I could get to the store, Google drops the price of the Nexus line (thinking a new Nexus is mere moments away! hah!). Now, I've started looking at the G2 which isn't even out yet. I like a bigger phone, but think the G2 might be a bit too big. Plus, I haven't seen any word on when it might come to T-Mobile. I figure if I wind up with the One, it's a good phone and a good camera. Can't decide if it's worth waiting to see reviews and availability and in-hand size of the G2 or going this weekend and picking up the One.

Lordie my life is hard.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Having upgraded 23 times since '09, I will eventually buy each one. :)

LG G2 will be my next toy! I love the KnockOn feature and other LG exclusives. I also like that they are trying something different placing the Power & Volumes buttons at the back.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Seriously, I love MultiWindow & Pop-Up Video that I bought the Note 8.0 LTE but Samsung is really pushing this build/design. So I this will have to be put on hold until price drops.

moto X. I'm interested and like Apple's Siri I want to try this whole "Okay, Google Now" but I'm not paying $500-$600 for a "mid tier" phone.

Sony Honami. Like with the XPERIA Z, ZL I wanted to try it but with other big players, I just lost interest.

darkestred

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Note 3 maybe fastest due to over clocked GPU and memory (8974AB)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk HD

Probably but it's like the old adage (that i made up) you have a quadcore computer and you open some files on the computer. You work in Excel, you send an email. Then you get an 8-core computer and you do the same thing and you don't notice any difference in speed.

For many this is probably how they use their phones. They send a text, they send an email. Honestly. i can't tell much of a difference with my Thunderbolt HTC on liquid rom vs my s3 browsing the phone... doing common things.

So speed is great but for many its never seen.

Yoink676

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Probably but it's like the old adage (that i made up) you have a quadcore computer and you open some files on the computer. You work in Excel, you send an email. Then you get an 8-core computer and you do the same thing and you don't notice any difference in speed.

For many this is probably how they use their phones. They send a text, they send an email. Honestly. i can't tell much of a difference with my Thunderbolt HTC on liquid rom vs my s3 browsing the phone... doing common things.

So speed is great but for many its never seen.

Yeah of course I never said speed is "everything" and everyone has different priorities .
Speak for yourself ,it may not be great for some/many but there are others who want their smartphone to be fast enough to do certain heavy tasks,vice versa.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1aas