Car chargers?

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone had success with car chargers in here? I have two 2.1A chargers that fail to keep the G2 charged when using GPS (I even tried turning down the brightness to 50%. It seems both of them give the slow charging notification as well.

I should note that both these chargers worked fine with my galaxy nexus and droid razr.

I've been looking on Amazon but am a little gun shy to just spend money hoping something will work.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk 4.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone had success with car chargers in here? I have two 2.1A chargers that fail to keep the G2 charged when using GPS (I even tried turning down the brightness to 50%. It seems both of them give the slow charging notification as well.

I should note that both these chargers worked fine with my galaxy nexus and droid razr.

I've been looking on Amazon but am a little gun shy to just spend money hoping something will work.

What is your wall charger rated for?

marky_yo

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
just got this one.....Anker 18W / 2.4A + 2.0A (3.6A max) Dual Port Car Charger with One Built-in Micro USB Cord for Android and One USB Port for Apple Devices - The First and Smallest Adapter to Provide Simultaneous, Full-Speed Charges to iPads and Smartphones [Black]

Got it off amazon and it will charge, slowly, but charge while navigation is being used, and when off charges at a good rate!

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
just got this one.....Anker 18W / 2.4A + 2.0A (3.6A max) Dual Port Car Charger with One Built-in Micro USB Cord for Android and One USB Port for Apple Devices - The First and Smallest Adapter to Provide Simultaneous, Full-Speed Charges to iPads and Smartphones [Black]

Got it off amazon and it will charge, slowly, but charge while navigation is being used, and when off charges at a good rate!

This is one of the ones I was looking at. What brightness do you have your screen set at? Do you stream music or anything else while using gps?

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
As has been stated ALOT, data pins need to be shorted to enable fast charge, if not it will only charge at 500ma, no matter how big the charger is! I just modded one of my usb cables for this, so no matter what usb charger i use, it will fast charge. Of course that is limited by the charger itself at that point...

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
As has benn stated ALOT, data pins need to be shorted to enable fast charge, if not it will only charge at 500ma, no matter how big the charger is! I just modded one of my usb cables for this, so no matter what usb charger i use, it will fast charge. Of course that is limited by the charger itself at that point...

I assume you're referring to the slow charging notification from what I can tell shows up when you're NOT using the QuickCharge technology. For instance, if I monitor what's being drawn from my test box (limited at 1.2A) I see the phone pulling 800-1000 mA while still displaying the slow charge notification.

That being said, I'm curious about the needed power when running GPS and such as my old 2.1A car chargers can't keep up with the phone and not about the difference between data cables and charging cables.

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
You have 4 wires in the usb cable, a red, and black(thats power) and 2 others. Cut the 2 others, and on the micro usb end (Phone end) short them together. It will never slow charge this way on any charger u use with this cable. Like i said, max current will be determined by the charger! The one I use is a 2.1 amp, and my phone will pull 1.5-1.7 from the charger with previously mentioned cable, and keeps the phone topped off while using GPS, with brightness at 100%

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
You have 4 wires in the usb cable, a red, and black(thats power) and 2 others. Cut the 2 others, and on the micro usb end (Phone end) short them together. It will never slow charge this way on any charger u use with this cable. Like i said, max current will be determined by the charger! The one I use is a 2.1 amp, and my phone will pull 1.5-1.7 from the charger with previously mentioned cable, and keeps the phone topped off while using GPS, with brightness at 100%

Yes, we all ******* know what you're talking about. All I was saying was that shorting the cable is not the only thing that keeps that notification from displaying otherwise I wouldn't see a load of over 500mA if the phone thought it was connected to a typical usb port.

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
What i am trying to say is that shorting the data pins WILL keep slow charge away.... Thought that was the goal....

The goal is to charge as fast as possible. What I'm saying is that slow charge notification doesn't necessarily mean it's limiting to 500 mA. I've seen this phone draw over 1A while still displaying that notification.

That being said. Even if I DO use one of the charging cables (and not a data cable) my phone doesn't charge while using GPS with either of my 2A chargers.

Since yours does are you using LTE and streaming audio at the same time? And is your screen always at 100% or does it vary?

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Screen 100%, stream slacker, and AT&T lte. I am an electronic tech for a hotel chain, and had a 8 hour drive last week, and the charger with this cable topped battery off, and kept it there.... I just mentioned this because on slow charge with a 1 amp i had, would occasionaly see 600ma, and pretty much the same on my 2.1 amp, but never more than 600ma. but now i show current at normally 1.5-1.7 amps, lowest its been was 1.3 n some change.... If u have a spare cable, give it a try.....

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Screen 100%, stream slacker, and AT&T lte. I am an electronic tech for a hotel chain, and had a 8 hour drive last week, and the charger with this cable topped battery off, and kept it there.... I just mentioned this because on slow charge with a 1 amp i had, would occasionaly see 600ma, and pretty much the same on my 2.1 amp, but never more than 600ma. but now i show current at normally 1.5-1.7 amps, lowest its been was 1.3 n some change.... If u have a spare cable, give it a try.....

Interesting. Yeah I already have a few of those cables I shorted back in my droid incredible days. I'll have to give one a try.

NevetsDrassel

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I use this one: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...icle-charger-with-dual-output/&token=WbdvaZ5P

I use it for this reason:

Compatible with Anything

You get maximum compatibility thanks to the dual slots; plug in the USB connection cable for your device if it’s not a micro USB device, or just attach the micro USB cable if it is.

Five-volt, two-amp power source keeps the power flowing to a maximum of 10 watts. That’s twice what most smartphones draw when charging.

Auto-detection technology checks what device you have and adjusts power output accordingly.

I was able to charge both my wife's Moto X and my LG G2 while using my LG G2. I was able to charge from 0% to 100% in two hours. It took only 20 minutes to get from 0% to 30% charge.

If you are looking for the Smart Window Case and a Car Charger with some screen protectors, you can get all three for $69.99. You save $22.98 if you buy the package instead of them individually.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...PS://www.verizon.com/products/&token=yF26bvQB

The only cautionary note that I would add is that this VZW Quick Window case does not have the hole for the noise reduction mic on the back of the phone for the AT&T model G2. A simple drill bit will fix that though.

Be careful with chargers. Some do not have the auto detection and can destroy your battery if you charge it too fast. Trying to force charge to save time usually results in either a ruined battery or a fried phone. There is a reason that chargers are limited on the wattage they output and are different for different phones and batteries.

Trying to overcharge a battery is like trying to put 10 lbs of &^%* in a 5 lb bag......Only bad things will happen.

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. Yeah I already have a few of those cables I shorted back in my droid incredible days. I'll have to give one a try.

Update: shorted cable did prevent the slow charge notification from displaying and I saw the phone draw around 1300 mA from my car charger however that still didn't keep the battery from discharging from 87% to 85% during my 30 min commute.

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

jimmyt

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
The only time I don't get slow charge is either wireless or LG cable with any charger that delivers 2 amps. If I use LG stock charger with standard usb cable- still get slow charge.

Posted via Android Central App

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Tried with my shorted cables, no luck. I even ordered a" fast charge" cable on Amazon and still get the message

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, I ordered a new 2.1A charger and even though the slow charging notification still pops up I'm able to use GPS and still charge. The phone also reports it's drawing 1.2A from the charger (compared to 1.4A when using the stock wall charger). I'm not sure how accurate the phone is in reporting the draw though.