LG G2 - How do I format an external MicroSD card

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi gang, so at first this may sound like a silly question, since we all know that the US variant of the LG G2 does not offer Micro SD storage. However, it IS compatible with external MicroSD storage, which is one of the reasons I chose this device. I purchased the Meenova MicroSD reader, along with a 64GB MicroSD card, and it works like a charm. I can add files to and the phone will allow me to access them via the File Manager. The music player also recognizes that music is on the external card. All would seem well, right?

Here's the issue: because I wanted to transfer over all my music and playlists from iTunes, I downloaded the Synctunes App, which is supposed to offer the option of directing it to write to an external MicroSD card. Only, it doesn't work on this device. It doesn't "see" the external SD card, even though the phone does. I contacted the app developer (who, I have to say, responded incredibly quickly, and on a Sunday morning) who said I needed to format the SD card using the phone, under the "Storage" menu in settings. Made sense. Only, when I go there it does not offer the option of formatting the external SD card. Oddly, it offers the options or erasing the card and unmounting the card (thus, obviously, taking into account that an external card could be used), but it only offers the option to erase the data from the card, but not to format it. I've Googled the issue, but all I come up with is that the LG G2 doesn't offer the option to Format the card. I've tried formatting the card on my computer, but this doesn't seem to work either.

So, I thought I'd put it to the combined wisdom of all you folks who are WAY more experienced with Android devices than I ..., any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What happens when you unmount the card? I think a format option becomes available if it's unmounted, but not sure.

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
What happens when you unmount the card? I think a format option becomes available if it's unmounted, but not sure.

Unfortunately, not; mounted or unmounted, the only option is to erase all data from the SD card.

In Googling it I found a couple of references to the fact that, apparently, the G2 does not have a "format" option at all. Hoping maybe I can find a way around that, without rooting. Seems like an odd thing to omit, in light of the "play and pop" feature that automatically recognizes gives access to the external storage as soon I plug it in.

richardodn

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Insert the MicroSD into a PC or MAC and format it there in whater file system it needs to be in. Depending on the card reader, you may need an adapter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez