LG G2 screen isn't working properly, help

marttinius

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Hello!
Bought yesterday LG G2 from store. Everything works perfectly (what a great phone), except there is problem with screen. When I turn my phone to a sleep mode and it stands for like minute, screen freezes, so if I press power button again, black screen stays. It lasts like a minute, sometimes less, depends how many times I press power button or double-click. Then screen starts to work properly again (while phone is sleeping and I have pushed power button just once, touchscreen works, so I can open apps, but don't see what I open).
If I press power button (or do double-click) to lock the screen and wait like 5-10 seconds (after I've locked the screen), everything works as it should, but still, waiting one minute and same problem is back. It is like a delay, but touchscreen is working and stays black for random time.
I updated phone to latest Android version so I don't think it is software problem. Can you please help me, should I return the phone and change it for new one?
Sorry about my bad English, ask some questions, if you didn't get the idea, what I was trying to pass on.

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
If you're running stock G2, not rooted go to settings, Backup and reset ? check out the screen shot ? Factory data reset ? check out the screen shot ?. If the full phone reset not fixes the problem, go to the store and change it for a new one. uploadfromtaptalk1388960889558.jpguploadfromtaptalk1388960919220.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

RobotHeaven

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
emilioaponte
A factor reset should only be done when all other solutions have failed and there is valid reason why a reset may solve the problem :).
And if the problem is likely related to hardware (or there is no real problem at all), then a factory reset will either do jack or be a waste.

marttinius

I'm not sure if there is anything wrong there from what you say. After a minute, instead of using the power button, just give 2 quick knocks on the screen to wake it up. Is it any different whan you do that?

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hello!
Bought yesterday LG G2 from store. Everything works perfectly (what a great phone), except there is problem with screen. When I turn my phone to a sleep mode and it stands for like minute, screen freezes, so if I press power button again, black screen stays. It lasts like a minute, sometimes less, depends how many times I press power button or double-click. Then screen starts to work properly again (while phone is sleeping and I have pushed power button just once, touchscreen works, so I can open apps, but don't see what I open).
If I press power button (or do double-click) to lock the screen and wait like 5-10 seconds (after I've locked the screen), everything works as it should, but still, waiting one minute and same problem is back. It is like a delay, but touchscreen is working and stays black for random time.
I updated phone to latest Android version so I don't think it is software problem. Can you please help me, should I return the phone and change it for new one?
Sorry about my bad English, ask some questions, if you didn't get the idea, what I was trying to pass on.

Are you sure your not confusing knock on and the power button?

You should never have to "double click" the power button; you only need to click it once (to turn the screen on or off).

So double clicking with the screen off means you are turning your screen on then right back off again (which might seem like it is "freezing").

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

marttinius

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Well, I try to explain it better. Screen freezes (stays black) when I try to unlock my phone after it has been locked for over one minute or something like that. Screen stays black but touch is working, so it is like smartphone without picture for minute or so. Then the light comes back and everything works perfectly. This delay takes sometimes more than a minute, sometimes less, it is depends on how many times I press power button or double-knock. There is no problem, when I try to unlock the phone if it has been on sleep mode less than one minute. But after that time passes, problem is back.
Hope you understand me now :)

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Definitely sounds like a hardware problem with the phone. I would take it back to the store and demonstrate the problem to them, they should replace the phone.

Keep us posted.

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
emilioaponte
A factor reset should only be done when all other solutions have failed and there is valid reason why a reset may solve the problem :).
And if the problem is likely related to hardware (or there is no real problem at all), then a factory reset will either do jack or be a waste.

marttinius

I'm not sure if there is anything wrong there from what you say. After a minute, instead of using the power button, just give 2 quick knocks on the screen to wake it up. Is it any different whan you do that?

Well let's see, in all my formers BlackBerry Bold devices 9700, 9780, 9900 and in all my formers Android devices ; HTC ONE X, HTC ONE X+, HTC ONE, I always done Factory Data Reset, never a problem with that. My current LG G2 runs stock on AT&T, not rooted. For example ; I bought for my HTC ONE, on Google Play Store, the Timely alarm clock app ? by the way now is a free app? , its runs perfect in my former HTC ONE. Then I bought the G2 and install the Timely app, it goes crazy, then crash, then a screen notification ? Timely turn off or Timely is out, don't remember exactly ?. I uninstall the app. Then my screen began, no matter what app or game or browsing a news paper, to shake like some kind of tremors. I was reading the New York Times and see the freaking notification ? Timely turns off ? on the screen at the back of an article about killed people at Egypt. The point here is that I already uninstall the Timely app, but the freaking trembling notification keeps showing at my phone screen. I do a Factory Data Reset, problem solved. Remember this phone devices, no matter they runs SpeedDragon 800 processors like the G2, the Samsung Note 3, the Google Nexus 5 or the Sony Experia Z1, are just the state of the art phones but they are not fully perfect machines and they freaks out and when that happens a full Factory Data Reset is mandatory. If problem persist after that your phone got a BIG BAD situation, hardware etc., in the worst case you bought a lemon instead a good expensive state of the art device. Don't read me wrong, I'm not against other solutions alternatives before a Factory Data Reset. I'm just inclined to fix the problems the drastic way, cause I'm just an old man playing around with the last Android phones. So my friend, if your arm makes you a sinner cut it off ; if your G2 freaks out go for a Factory Data Reset.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

marttinius

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
So I took the phone back to store, they didn't give me new one, instead they are gonna fix the problem. I'm not sure how easily fixable it is, but we will see. Thank you all again once again for giving me advice.

newinthowai

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Have you guys tried resetting? Cause I'm facing the same problem on Sony Xperia Z, I can't touch the screen when it's locked for a while like 4 secs or more. then I can try unlocking. I never did anything weird night anyway but why isn't my screen working properly, I can pull down the notifications to see facebook message on the top bar. It automatically hits a lot of things once I touched it. I haven't done any rooting either. It happened since USB Debugging to root but I didn't root.

newinthowai

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm facing the same problem, well, the reset didn't work but I heard phone call may fix it. or taking out battery for 2-5 minutes may fix it for some glitches. I don't really know it though.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm facing the same problem, well, the reset didn't work but I heard phone call may fix it. or taking out battery for 2-5 minutes may fix it for some glitches. I don't really know it though.

Taking the battery out of your G2 is going to cause more problems than it resolves. ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa