Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default G2 and G3

    Any members own a G2 and a G3, or at least seen them side-by-side? If so, is there a visible difference between the displays under normal viewing conditions? I'm talking about pixel difference, not differences due to display size, colours etc.

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  

    Default Re: G2 and G3

    I doubt anyone would be able to tell the pixel difference.



    Pro S5
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

    - MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)
  3. #3  

    Default Re: G2 and G3

    G3 pretty much crosses the boundaries of the human eye, as in by the time you get close enough to the screen your eye starts having trouble focusing at such a short distance. In practical terms, digital photos will look sharper. That's about it. I guess you can squint at two windows in dual app mode and marvel at the sharpness of the text? Honestly my Flex is six inches and only 720p and it looks very good especially watching video. My only reason to even consider 1080p is the dual app mode for more fidelity.

    G3 screen is amazing on a technical level, how good it really looks will depend on the content and how the OS color profiles have been set up.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: G2 and G3

    The main appeal to me is that photos will look sharper. When I transfer Lumia 1020 photos to my Nexus 5 via OneDrive, they look noticeably sharper. Whether any lack of sharpness on the Lumia is because of its Pentile OLED display, or because it's 720p, or both, I don't know. It's difficult to see how any display could look sharper than the Nexus 5's 1080p LCD, but I don't imagine I'm the only person prepared to spend £479/$816 to find out.

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. #5  

    Default Re: G2 and G3

    That's one of the caveats...the app or media you are viewing must also be at the same quality/scale to make full use of the increased resolution.

    There's no G2, but MKBHD does have a demonstration in his G3 display review using the same photo vs. iphone and M8.

    For me, I'm having trouble with the color accuracy of the G3 so far...seems very much off. More on that: https://plus.google.com/+supercurioF...ts/8Jjv3JbqvT7
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: G2 and G3

    Many thanks. I just checked both sites...both are informative, and the second rather worrying. If it hadn't been for the second I would have said, "Well, I bought the phone and there's no great sharpness difference over 1080p after all but never mind, for a substantially lower price than a Z2, M8, S5 etc I've got a top-spec phone with some futureproofing." Now I'm not so sure. Best to wait for more user reviews perhaps.

    Posted via Android Central App
  7. #7  

    Default Re: G2 and G3

    Quote Originally Posted by belodion View Post
    Many thanks. I just checked both sites...both are informative, and the second rather worrying. If it hadn't been for the second I would have said, "Well, I bought the phone and there's no great sharpness difference over 1080p after all but never mind, for a substantially lower price than a Z2, M8, S5 etc I've got a top-spec phone with some futureproofing." Now I'm not so sure. Best to wait for more user reviews perhaps.

    Posted via Android Central App
    G2 and G3-screenshot_2014-06-20-08-16-10.png

    At only 720p, such small text is clearly legible on my 6" G Flex with its plastic pixels. 1:1 true RGB pixel sizes or something, but it does seem great compared to 1080p pentile displays in terms of text sharpness.

    I should see if Notebookcheck has their review up, they usually do a good job on the hard technical situation...
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: G2 and G3

    Yes, that was the review I watched. The problem with me is I've been doing photography for years and am therefore probably more conscious of image quality than non-photographic types. Leicas, rare-earth lenses, multi coating and all that stuff. Of course this is laughable because there's little if any relation between image quality and picture quality, but that's camera nuts for you.
    What makes it worse is that I can't say "I won't buy the G3, I'll save money with something more tried-and-tested", because most of the alternatives are more expensive.

    Posted via Android Central App
  9. #9  

    Default Re: G2 and G3

    Quote Originally Posted by belodion View Post
    Yes, that was the review I watched. The problem with me is I've been doing photography for years and am therefore probably more conscious of image quality than non-photographic types. Leicas, rare-earth lenses, multi coating and all that stuff. Of course this is laughable because there's little if any relation between image quality and picture quality, but that's camera nuts for you.
    What makes it worse is that I can't say "I won't buy the G3, I'll save money with something more tried-and-tested", because most of the alternatives are more expensive.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Sadly Notebookcheck does not have a G3 review in-house at this time. I hope they get around to it, for the Flex they updated with a retail sample and said the color accuracy had improved but the grey was slightly more off compared to preproduction.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: G2 and G3

    Thank you for checking that. I hadn't heard of Notebookcheck but having looked just now its reviews seem thorough, with useful comparisons and plenty of tech info. I'll keep a lookout for a G3 review from them in the near future.

    Posted via Android Central App
  11. #11  

    Default Re: G2 and G3

    Quote Originally Posted by belodion View Post
    Thank you for checking that. I hadn't heard of Notebookcheck but having looked just now its reviews seem thorough, with useful comparisons and plenty of tech info. I'll keep a lookout for a G3 review from them in the near future.

    Posted via Android Central App
    I don't even buy into all of their tests either, but they have some of the best screen and temperature data for electronics. Especially for laptops they also grade max running DB for the fan and some other useful comfort info.

Similar Threads

  1. Whats new to the G3 from my the G2??
    By izzy67 in forum LG G3
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-16-2014, 10:50 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-14-2014, 12:43 AM
  3. is gmail and google down right now?
    By shamelin73 in forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-13-2014, 07:16 PM
  4. Need Help with Clockwork Mod Recovery and my CM11 G2.
    By Symbianblack in forum AT&T LG G2
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2014, 05:59 PM

Posting Permissions