Set notification tone to silent

the_newnormal

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking to set the notification tone to silent (settings menu) while setting a ringtone for text messages (menu within txt msg app).

Unfortunately I don't see 'silent' as an option in the settings > sounds > notifications menu.

Strangely this option DOES show up in the text message settings menu, however this is the one I want to hear.

Is the only option to set every single app to silent except messages? There must be a better way.

Any tips are greatly appreciated

Last edited:

kcalmol

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Odd that wouldn't be an option. Just a thought for a workaround. Use the voice recorder to record a few seconds of silence. Then move that file to your notifications folder. It should then appear as an option for a "tone" in the default notification menu.

Sent from my Note 3

the_newnormal

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. The default tones are hard to find (perhaps baked in?) but the Hangouts tone could be replaced.

For now I'm just setting apps silently individually. Figure if i start now while only a few apps, it shouldn't be too painful.

Hopefully an update fixes this for me in future

Cheers

kcalmol

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I was playing with one in an AT&T store yesterday. Settings, sound, default notification... And "silent" was there as an option.

Sent from my Note 3

the_newnormal

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Actually, I was playing with one in an AT&T store yesterday. Settings, sound, default notification... And "silent" was there as an option.

Sent from my Note 3

Thanks for taking the time to check that, I really appreciate it.

An odd quirk that mine doesn't have the option in system settings, but not the end of the world