What is "Limit Mobile Data Usage "?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
It's a very useful feature and you can set your warning bar a bit lower than the limit bar so that you're alerted when you've only got such-and-such data left. That way you don't just get cut off.

Posted via Android Central App

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
It's especially handy when you have children/teens who don't pay attention to data. No surprise overages.

Sent from my LG-D850 using AC Forums mobile app

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
You'd better hope they don't know how to change the settings...

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
OK, thanks. There's a setting somewhere for limit background data too. I can't seem to find it now. What does that do?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Kids are very tech savvy these days lol

My 3 year old is an experienced tablet user and knows her way around lol

It won't be long before you're asking her for help.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
OK, thanks. There's a setting somewhere for limit background data too. I can't seem to find it now. What does that do?

Go to Settings>Data Usage, open the menu and you'll find. I think it just prevents background data usage unless you're connected to wifi.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It's especially handy when you have children/teens who don't pay attention to data. No surprise overages.

I know Verizon if set up, will send warning texts /emails when certain thresholds are met. You can set them to what you want. Other carriers may offer the same.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

_YoKolorMeBadd

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
200 MB? :eek:.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

I know right, that's practically nothing. I can never understand how people can only have 200MB of data. I would lose my mind if I only had that much per month.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Maybe I missed this but if you are on unlimited data no need to "set limits".

That's true but I like to keep an eye on it. It's not always easy to get unlimited data tariffs....in fact, in UK, some networks don't offer it at all....so you want to treat them like gold dust. If enough users are carelessly profligate with data use it might persuade those networks who do offer unlimited to stop doing so, or to up prices.

In my early days of smart phones, I once made a series of mistakes which I later discovered had used a lot of data and a substantial part of my limited data pay-as-you-go credit. A data use warning and data limit block would have prevented that ( I doubt I knew how to set it at that time).

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Ahhh, gotchya, carry on...clearly you are on top of this.

That's true but I like to keep an eye on it. It's not always easy to get unlimited data tariffs....in fact, in UK, some networks don't offer it at all....so you want to treat them like gold dust. If enough users are carelessly profligate with data use it might persuade those networks who do offer unlimited to stop doing so, or to up prices.

In my early days of smart phones, I once made a series of mistakes which I later discovered had used a lot of data and a substantial part of my limited data pay-as-you-go credit. A data use warning and data limit block would have prevented that ( I doubt I knew how to set it at that time).

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I know right, that's practically nothing. I can never understand how people can only have 200MB of data. I would lose my mind if I only had that much per month.

They we it for 200 MB under their monthly data cap. Didn't say they only had 200mb.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

It gets worse. A young member recently asked advice on AAQ about whether an allowance of 50mb/month, the only plan that could be afforded, would be enough. The general consensus was, No, it would not be enough.