LG G3 Review (AT&T Version)

cgooge14

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Let me give a little background on my phone usage so you have an idea of where I'm coming from. I was an avid iPhone user from the beginning. I did have a brief stint with an HTC Inspire a few years back but went right back to the iPhone. About a year and a half ago I switched to the Lumia 920 with the Windows Phone OS. Once the Lumia 1520 came out I switched to it until I switched to the LG G3 last week.

QuickMemo+_2014-07-20-20-50-49.jpg

My draw to the LG G3 was the display, the size and how far the Android OS has come since I had the HTC Inspire. Coming from the 1520 this phone is extremely lightweight. I only lost .5" in screen size but lost a bunch of weight and size in going to the G3. It is comfortable to hold and not difficult to hold onto. Some reviews stated that the plastic back made it hard to get a grip but I have had no trouble with this. I really llke the volume rocker and power button on the back. Like most reviews, it does take a couple of days to get used to but is a really good spot for these.

Even though some say that the human eye can not detect the difference that 538ppi brings with it, I really can notice the difference. It has a crispness that the 368ppi the 1520 lacks. It is sharp and blows the 1520 out of the water. In my opinion it also looks way better than my wife's iPhone 5. The white balance is a little warm but it is not an unpleasing look. I also do not notice the toned down contrast that people who previously had the Galaxy S5 complain about. To me the display is a big plus.

The battery took a few cycles to start taking hold. The first charge lasted about 4 and 1/2 hours. Granted, it was a new phone and I was messing with it pretty much non stop. I also had the display at around 80% with the auto brightness on. I am now averaging about 11 1/2 hours on a charge with about 4 1/2 hours of screen on time. I now keep my brightness between 60-70% with auto brightness off. I will probably buy an extra battery to have just in case I need it as I work in the field and am subject to call outs.

QuickMemo+_2014-07-20-21-27-13.jpg

The camera on the phone does a very good job. Coming from the Lumia line I am used to having a really good camera. The interface is simple and the UI is clean. There are not a bunch of bells and whistles and that is a good thing to me. The laser auto focus is fast and accurate. I like the colors that it produces and the image stabilization is great for stills and videos. Low light shots are not as good as the Lumia line but it still does a good job. Sometimes I think people expect DSLR quality in their phones which is not happening right now. Below is a picture of my Basset with the flash on.

20140715_205037_Android.jpg

The keyboard is really good and I like having the numbers always at the top. The size of the keyboard can be customized and you can also change it to one handed operation which pushes it to one side or the other. The picture below is of the one handed format but it also shows the number keys.

QuickMemo+_2014-07-20-21-57-21~2.jpg

The knock code to unlock and clip tray for easy cutting and pasting are really neat features that have also made this an overall great choice for me. I have not had any over heating issues or delays in opening apps like I have seem a couple of others report. This phone is a really great choice and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who asks. If you have any questions or want to see any screen shots of anything else, please let me know.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to this forum if you're new to it, and thanks for your comments. Yes, the G3 is a beauty, and you're one of a growing body of members who love the device, which body I predict will continue to grow as more G3's get out there. That's not to deny that there aren't problems and there's a similar body of members who have those.

4½h screen time at 60-70% brightness seems VERY good to me...my brightness is usually set much lower.

Posted via Android Central App

cgooge14

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to this forum if you're new to it, and thanks for your comments. Yes, the G3 is a beauty, and you're one of a growing body of members who love the device, which body I predict will continue to grow as more G3's get out there. That's not to deny that there aren't problems and there's a similar body of members who have those.

4½h screen time at 60-70% brightness seems VERY good to me...my brightness is usually set much lower.

Posted via Android Central App
Thanks! The forums have been a wealth of knowledge and the conversations have been great. I think every phone has little quirks that keep it from being "perfect" but the G3 does a whole host of things right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non